KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Sorry to jump in to the thread in the middle of a conversation, but I'm building a desktop to run bigger games then Kerbal at lowest settings and a few mods. I'm using a desktop base with 1st gen i7's. Everything else is up to me. I would like some advice on:

RAM

Motherboard

Video Cards

Monitor

Keyboard

Mouse

I'm just looking for some personal favorites, nothing REALLY in depth

Sorry to jump in to the thread in the middle of a conversation, but I'm building a desktop to run bigger games then Kerbal at lowest settings and a few mods. I'm using a desktop base with 1st gen i7's. Everything else is up to me. I would like some advice on:

RAM

Motherboard

Video Cards

Monitor

Keyboard

Mouse

I'm just looking for some personal favorites, nothing REALLY in depth

Well, whats your budget & region(nation or other?)

There are a number of problems with Flash, but I do not think that is the issue here :P Unless it is only happening when watching a Flash movie, that would be reason to check it out more thoroughly.

That is no problem, I know enough French and about Windows to read it just fine :)

Well I guess it is dead now. I will try more things tomorrow like plugging it in an other computer, but I guess I can say it is really dead...

blYurkLl.jpg

Well I guess it is dead now. I will try more things tomorrow like plugging it in an other computer, but I guess I can say it is really dead...

That is unfortunate, it seems the HDD might indeed have been in trouble. Did you get the chance of backing up your files?

That is unfortunate, it seems the HDD might indeed have been in trouble. Did you get the chance of backing up your files?

Yes, I keep a copy of all my important files on an external hard drive, so I should have everything. I just have to download most of my games and programs, but this isn't a big deal.

I'm planning on spending some of my Christmas money on a new video card. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a cheaper brand of the same card?

Sometimes cheaper versions use slower kinds of memory (DDR3 instead of (G)DDR5), sometimes they use cut down versions of the GPU chip, sometimes they use less qualitative components or just less components (such as the VRM's). It would be good to check out the reviews to see if any of those apply. Also be sure to check out whether the coolers are what you would expect, cooling capacity and sound wise.

Yes, I keep a copy of all my important files on an external hard drive, so I should have everything. I just have to download most of my games and programs, but this isn't a big deal.

Good to hear, not too many people do that!

I am looking to build my first PC, specifically for KSP (although it would be nice to revisit old favorites like Fallout 3 with mod support). My laptop barely runs it at lowest possible settings; it works alright but lag sometimes results in physics glitches - the same rocket that has flown a dozen times exploding on the launch pad.

I have heard that the optimization of KSP makes it so that additional cores do not provide any benefit, and I should instead focus on single core performance. So rather than going to one of cheap the 6 or 8 core AMDs, I am thinking the i3-4130 ($130) or i5-3350 ($180).

My total budget is around $800. So, I would end up with something like this and drop the SSD to account for the increased price of the intel chip

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($97.99 @ Mac Mall)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.95 @ Amazon)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $801.86

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-30 07:29 EST-0500)

-snip-

I changed the CPU on your list, the other parts seem pretty good and is a heck of a good price for all that.

The FX-6300 is plenty good, i wouldn't grab an FX-83XX chip unless you are going to do some productivity. The gains from going to intel in KSP are not IMHO worth the extra cost associated with getting an intel build.

That 6300 is more than enough for modern gaming, Don't worry so much about "optimizations" CPU performance in this day and age is Crazy, any modern Chip is going to be enough to play games. GPUs are currently the more pertinent in build decisions than AMD or Intel Chips. That aside, the GTX 760 is pretty darn good. The ACX cooler is pretty good i prefer the ASUS Coolers but EVGA is a great manufacturer as well. an SSD will make everything feel faster, imho its not worth trading an SSD for an intel chip. I have heard great things about that Adata Ram, The Samsung EVO's are great, Seagate is a good manufacturer.

Edited by Leonov

Thanks a ton, Leonov!! I really appreciate the detailed response. I am hanging out on Slick Deals hoping to snag some deals on the big ticket items and the order the rest quickly. My original plan was to build it slowly over time (when things are on sale), but I was advised against it. Apparently there is a pretty big risk of an item arriving DOA and I wouldnt know it until past the return deadline. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I'm SO excited to play KSP on higher settings, little own being able to launch a rocket made of more than 30-40 parts!

Ok, there is something I really don't understand... After two days of unsuccessful tries to boot my computer that always led to the same error, my windows finally decided to boot !! I don't understand what is happening... But I don't trust my HDD anymore, it always show 99% (but doesn't freeze), so I have already ordered another one, a seagate barracuda 1To

Edited by Moustachauve

Thanks a ton, Leonov!! I really appreciate the detailed response. I am hanging out on Slick Deals hoping to snag some deals on the big ticket items and the order the rest quickly. My original plan was to build it slowly over time (when things are on sale), but I was advised against it. Apparently there is a pretty big risk of an item arriving DOA and I wouldnt know it until past the return deadline. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I'm SO excited to play KSP on higher settings, little own being able to launch a rocket made of more than 30-40 parts!

I built my rig slowly over time, There will always be a risk of DOA items even if you go into a store and grab all the parts. The best way IMHO to avoid DOA items is to read up on the parts your buying and see how reliable they are and to what standards the manufacturers use for quality control and what there margins are like. If you have a current desktop you can plug your parts in and see if they work. My rig had only one snag and that was the WD Caviar Blue arrived Dead, so dead it was making my SSD takes nearly 30 mins to restart. I returned it to WD and they sent me a brand new Caviar Black to replace it. Companies usually are good about their returns and sending out a new/refurbished unit.

So i have a farley bad computer...

Windows vista

2.00 GB ram

Radeon 3600 graphics card

2.4 ghz quad processer CPU

overall- 6 years old :P

so i can run KSP at min graphics as long as i have smaller space craft, (300 parts or lesser) but i wanted to build large space stations, and bases, so what should i upgrade, my RAM or my Graphics card. And please dont tell me to get a new PC because i sadly do not have the money for one at this point of time(i have not graduated yet:P). Also it would be nice if you guys could give me sime suggestions as to what brand i should upgrade to.

thanks

Skylid

Six years old with Vista? Time to replace with a new one.

Find an independent shop that can guide you into building a computer customized to your needs. That way, you avoid the big box store pre packaged systems made to a price point and preloaded with tons of CPU and memory wasting crapware.

Edited by SRV Ron

Remember the game itself will like its own 4Gb and then you will have your OS and any background programs so the minimum I would advise is 8Gb.

I was in Maplins yesterday and saw a motherboard bundle 8Gb i3 running at 3.2Ghz for £180. The AMD option I think was £129.

The cheapest `bang for buck` option for you is some second hand RAM...

Look on freecycle and other places for free/nearly free computer parts. You can`t bank on being lucky but you should watch out for it. I found a core 2 duo 3Ghz, AMD 7950 GFX, 4Gb RAM (power supply was faulty) in a £100 case in the bin cupboards out the back of my flat, cleaned it and got it going again for £30. Sell your old stuff if you can and get free/very cheap newer stuff that is slightly better.

In this case I'd say, get a new computer.

If you can only afford to upgrade something, then in my opinion:

- if you want to build bigger ships, you need faster CPU and maybe better graphics card (you should check what of the two is the limiting factor when running large ships)

- if you want to use more mods, you need more RAM

- if you want to run at higher graphics detail, you need better graphics card.

Thanks guys,

ill probably upgrade my RAM due to the fact that my budget is less than 100 dollars. But i have taken a look at some custom built PC's and i was thinking of an MSI GT70 notebook. Its a bit spendy, but should serve the purpose for alll my needs!

Again Thanks!

I would actually say the minimum RAM would be 3gb, thats what im running (I know weird number but one stick was corrupt when my brother gave it to me) and i have a quad core AMD, and gtx 760 and i only lag out really on the initial launch and if my stations get to big lol