KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

First step in making a decision for an upgrade is a budget. Well, first after you make sure you can upgrade.

Hmm, will $100 get me anywhere? i don't know much about the realm of computer building.

You could get these parts.

As close as i could get to the budget.

A CX500 Should be enough to keep it happy with room for more upgrades down the road. It is the same price a CX430.

The Radeon HD 7770 is good performance for the price.

Someone else may have another suggestion. Corsair makes great Power Supplys at good prices, XFX makes good cards.

You could get these parts.

As close as i could get to the budget.

A CX500 Should be enough to keep it happy with room for more upgrades down the road. It is the same price a CX430.

The Radeon HD 7770 is good performance for the price.

Someone else may have another suggestion. Corsair makes great Power Supplys at good prices, XFX makes good cards.

Seems pretty good, ill book mark it and see what i can do about it, and use it as a stepping stone to look around. Thanks!

That PSU doesnt put out enough AMPs on the 12v rail to keep a GTX 770 or GTX 760 happy. Sorry mate. That PSU only puts out 40amps. The 760 needs ~43amps and the 770 needs ~46amps.

I really hope you are wrong since I'm getting everything delivered monday morning. :S

I'm pasting in an excerpt from a user at tomshardware (who seems credible when looking at his other posts):

"For a system using a single GeForce GTX 760 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 760 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted."

I really hope he is correct since, as you stated yourself, I'm getting 40amps on my 12v rail. :S

This build. Is better all around still within budget.

The processor changed to a Phenom II 965, Very Overclockable unlocked CPU.

Threw in a CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212, large thermal mass good CPU cooler.

Same speed Ram, little cheaper.

Changed the PSU to a Corsair CX430, not familiar with the other PSU. This one will do the job a little cheaper without comprimising reliability or quality.

Everything else stayed the same.

This build is a better processor Phenom II 965, Very Overclockable.

Threw in a CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212, large thermal mass good CPU cooler.

Same speed Ram, little cheaper.

Changed the PSU to a Corsair CX430, not familiar with the other PSU. This one will do the job a little cheaper without comprimising reliability or quality.

Everything else stayed the same.

Galactic, I'd go with Leonov's build. It's more upgradeable going forward, as FM2 is sorta-kinda dying, whereas AM3+ is the future for AMD processors. The mobo is pretty good, and pretty much everything there can be upgraded at some point.

My planned setup:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0

RAM: Corsair Vengeance blue 8GB Kit DDR3 PC3-14900 CL9

Graphics card*: Club3D AMD Radeon HD 6950

SSD*: OCZ Vertex 2 120GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green SATA III 1TB (2x, RAID 0)

Case: Antec P280

PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-630W

CPU cooler*: Scythe Mugen 2

Fans: 6x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm

Some HP optical disk drive and a 5,25" card reader.

*: Will be taken over from current setup.

That CPU comes with a stock CPU cooler, which is good if you dont plan to OC.

With an Upgraded CPU cooler you can do some Overclocking, a Very popular thing with that CPU.

You can take it off but dont expect to do some OC without some sort of upgraded heat sink/cooling system.

Stock CPU coolers tend to be cheap and nasty things, they are small, noisy and wear out fast.

I prefer to upgrade to a larger fan with decent bearings, purely for the lower noise that a large, slower turning fan puts out, the increased air flow of a larger fan means it rarely has to work hard to keep the CPU cool.

Overclocking is an option, but it'd mean the fan has to work harder, and generate more noise.

Is the ASUS P8H61-M LX motherboard a good one? it is the one I currently have and I don't know if I should change it when I will be able. Would I gain significant performance changing it?

I have a i7 2600 (Not k) with 8gb of ram (2 bars of 4gig, kingston kvr1333d3n9/4g) and a gtx770

This is my gaming PC build which I put together in January, and it's working out quite well for me, although Intel decided to stop making motherboards right after I bought mine (doh!) -

CASE - Corsair Carbide Series 300R -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011

PSU - SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

MOBO - Intel BOXDZ77BH55K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-121-606

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8Ghz Turbo) -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

RAM - SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

GPU - MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

ODD - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118067

HEATSINK - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64

HDD - a random 1TB SATA 3.5" 7200RPM Western Digital I had laying around

Edited by segaprophet

HDD - a random 1GB SATA 3.5" 7200RPM Western Digital I had laying around

If you intend to game from the web that should be fine, but you should replace that with at least a 100Gb one soon if you want to actually intall and play games.