KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

TLDR: Im moving out and have a budget to replace my 5 year old university laptop which is on its last legs. I have three days to decide whether I should get the following build:

https://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-141686

Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K Quad-Core (3.40 GHz)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43

Memory: 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM, Kingston HyperX

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX760 Twin Frozr OC 2 GB VRAM

Harddisk: 1TB SATA 7200rpm, Western Digital

Optical: Lite-On DVD Brander

SSD: 128 GB SATA600, Plextor

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 412S

Casing: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620 W Modulair

Cost: €949 incl. assembly and shipping.

It looks like a good build. What do you plan on doing with it?, I would assume you would use it for mostly gaming and Classwork.

Programming and gaming, mostly. Current system is struggling running various IDEs browsers and servers concurrently.

What do you guys think of the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB card? The system I'm buying soon comes with it.

For purposes of playing any game I currently play, it would be overkill, but that's mostly because of the games I play. It's good for the price it sells at, which means its a good card for normal gaming, but not up to extreme gaming. If you want 60 FPS on a 4K display with the most demanding game, it probably won't pull it off. It probably will manage about 50-60 FPS at HD resolutions (1920x1080) for most games at medium settings, usually beating Radeon cards at or below its price point. If I needed a better but not great graphics card, it's probably what I'd upgrade to at this point, but I'm waiting for something with the performance it has but with a lower thermal footprint before I'd consider it a solid upgrade for my computer.

Hey guys, I need a laptop that can run KSP on max (Or at least decent) settings with good FPS. I'm going off to college soon, so the laptop is gonna double as a school laptop. But, I do love me some KSP :P

Anyway, I really have no budget, just looking for recommendations that are cheap and will fit what I'm looking for. I tried searching myself, but nothing conclusive. Hope you guys can help!

Hey guys, I need a laptop that can run KSP on max (Or at least decent) settings with good FPS. I'm going off to college soon, so the laptop is gonna double as a school laptop. But, I do love me some KSP :P

Anyway, I really have no budget, just looking for recommendations that are cheap and will fit what I'm looking for. I tried searching myself, but nothing conclusive. Hope you guys can help!

Try out Lenovo for custom-ish gaming leg roasters..err...laptops.

EDIT:

Leonov, any idea which of these I can force end without many issues?

fW57ErZ.png

Edited by Galacticruler

Try out Lenovo for custom-ish gaming leg roasters..err...laptops.

EDIT:

Leonov, any idea which of these I can force end without many issues?

fW57ErZ.png

Well, Kevin, you should probably be able to kill AVG entirely, and DTSRVC since Samsung is dumb about bloatware, even with their monitors.

Will constantly upgrading your video card give you diminishing returns on performance so long as you never upgrade your processor, or will you always have a relatively given performance increase?

Another way of looking at this, is: Is there a point when upgrading your video card, without upgrading your processor won't really give you better performance?

I have a question:

I have a Intel i5 3570k processor and I want to replace my stock cooler(stock coolers are not good coolers).

I want a good cooler(I am considering to overclock to 3.8 or 4 ghz) that is not to expensive.

Anyone tips for me? Thank you! :)

Does this build look any good for 500 USD budget http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rstaehly/saved/29lZ

Why an 8320? Why not a FX-6350, or FX-4350. Maybe lower the processor to one of the aformentioned and put a little more into the GPU. You do realise your build as it stands is over 500USD.

I have a question:

I have a Intel i5 3570k processor and I want to replace my stock cooler(stock coolers are not good coolers).

I want a good cooler(I am considering to overclock to 3.8 or 4 ghz) that is not to expensive.

Anyone tips for me? Thank you! :)

You can get a Closed Loop watercooling solution or a Heatsink/Fan Solution.

How much room do you have in your case?, Is noise a concern?, What is your budget?

Hey,

I really like KSP, and want to play it, and am planning to buy a mac mini as a new pc to replace my old 2000 emachine.

The problem is I don't know if KSP will work on it.

Here are the specs:

2.5GHz Mac mini

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

8GB RAM

500GB hard drive

Intel HD Graphics 4000

OS X Mountain Lion

Will this set up work?

-Shocker.

Why an 8320? Why not a FX-6350, or FX-4350. Maybe lower the processor to one of the aformentioned and put a little more into the GPU. You do realise your build as it stands is over 500USD.

You can get a Closed Loop watercooling solution or a Heatsink/Fan Solution.

How much room do you have in your case?, Is noise a concern?, What is your budget?

My budget is € 50(66,40 USD), I have many room in my case(190 cm width), A heatsink with a fan would be nice. Noice is OK as long it is no vacuumcleaner :P

I do not prefer water cooling, but it is an option.