KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Oh I know KSP is pretty harsh on processors.  I'm just wanting to fight the good fight, hoping that going from a 4 core 3.4 Ghz to a 4 core hyperthreaded 4.2 Ghz processor would help greatly with the multitasking while it's running KSP.

I am planning on building a computer for the basement soon so my old i5 would be used again fairly quickly.

Maybe I'll hold off on it until then unless stuff starts going on sale.

Oh, and I have 16 Gigs of Ram :)  That's never been an issue except the one time I left the game paused overnight and it was using 13 gigs by the next morning...

if you want a new PC because you just do than yes buy it/build it

just dont base the way it runs using KSP as you may only find it runs slightly better.

just keep in mind the current prices of video cards will give you depression.

ram is also through the roof.

im just looking out for you man, dont want you wasting that good money.

3 minutes ago, invision said:

if you want a new PC because you just do than yes buy it/build it

just dont base the way it runs using KSP as you may only find it runs slightly better.

just keep in mind the current prices of video cards will give you depression.

ram is also through the roof.

im just looking out for you man, dont want you wasting that good money.

Yeah I don't understand the sudden increase in prices.  The 1050Ti I bought not that long ago is now $30 more than I paid, and the memory is also up to $100 from the $70 I paid.  Exact same stuff.  Neither was on sale when I got it.

Brief history:

I bought this computer as a Full Build Bundle from NewEgg.  Got two virtually identical computers; one for me, one for my wife.  The only difference was the processor.  I got the i5 and she got the G4400. 

Spoiler

Screenshotat20180122.png

I then got the GPU and another 8GB stick of the memory.  This increase really sucks because I can't bring myself to use anything else.  It has to be the same.  When I got the third stick, they had put the stickers on the opposite sides from the first two, and I ripped apart my wife's computer so I could have the two that matched.

I really wish I'd just gotten the i7 when I bought the bundles instead of the i5.  What would have been ~$150 more then is now looking to be ~$400 more now...

Oh well.

Bitcoin miners are using every GPU they can get their dirty hands on. My favorite online parts dealer just turned down an order of 1000 cards, and every AMD GPU is out of stock. I am hanging on to an RX 280 with a flaky connection while I wait for the cryptocurrency market to crash and burn, leaving the retailers with a stockpile.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:16 AM, Freshmeat said:

Bitcoin miners are using every GPU they can get their dirty hands on. My favorite online parts dealer just turned down an order of 1000 cards, and every AMD GPU is out of stock. I am hanging on to an RX 280 with a flaky connection while I wait for the cryptocurrency market to crash and burn, leaving the retailers with a stockpile.

its free money so you cant blame them

you can buy a GTX 1080ti and it pays for itself in 120 days. then buy another and pays itself in 60 days.....and repeat this until you are rich.

21 hours ago, invision said:

its free money so you cant blame them

you can buy a GTX 1080ti and it pays for itself in 120 days. then buy another and pays itself in 60 days.....and repeat this until you are rich.

Until it does not work out like that any more. I am quite convinced that bitcoins are gonna tank heavily this year, and prices on GPUs are going to reflect it.

54 minutes ago, Freshmeat said:

Until it does not work out like that any more. I am quite convinced that bitcoins are gonna tank heavily this year, and prices on GPUs are going to reflect it.

yep it sure will.

but until then you mind as well collect wizard money while it lasts :P

then collect those 1080ti's and rx-580's flooding the market for cheap

Well, I did it.  i7 7700K, another 16 GB of RAM, and the biggest freaking air cooler I've ever seen.  Good thing the original computer bundle came with such a freakishly large case.  Has a 140mm and 120mm fan on the cooler, moved the original rear case fan to the top.

20180126170556.jpg

When I took this monster out of its case I was worried I wouldn't be able to use my GPU or put in the new RAM.  Side panel just barely makes it on.

5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Well, I did it.  i7 7700K, another 16 GB of RAM, and the biggest freaking air cooler I've ever seen.  Good thing the original computer bundle came with such a freakishly large case.  Has a 140mm and 120mm fan on the cooler, moved the original rear case fan to the top.

20180126170556.jpg

When I took this monster out of its case I was worried I wouldn't be able to use my GPU or put in the new RAM.  Side panel just barely makes it on.

i bought one of those coolers, its freaking massive. it ended up covering my ram slots so i had to place it in the closet and use it for a future build.

what you could do is place a fan on the rear on the pc except outside the case and face it the proper direction of out-take , then snake the power wire into the case from the PCI slot tabs and power it.

i did that method on my new PC except its directly behind the graphics card to remove the heat immediately

Edited by invision

7 hours ago, invision said:

i bought one of those coolers, its freaking massive. it ended up covering my ram slots so i had to place it in the closet and use it for a future build.

what you could do is place a fan on the rear on the pc except outside the case and face it the proper direction of out-take , then snake the power wire into the case from the PCI slot tabs and power it.

i did that method on my new PC except its directly behind the graphics card to remove the heat immediately

I removed the rear fan because I figured with those two giants on the heat sink, it would be alright.  I also thought that I simply wouldn't have room.  Although after getting the cooler in there, it looks like I do.

The big downside to this is that it was a pain to install in the case that I really don't want to pull it out again, and I'm not too keep on putting the fan on the outside.  So far my temps seem ok, except for constant spikes on the processor.... which is apparently very, very common on the 7700K.  Will do it no matter much cooling you have, with de-lidding being the fix...which not sure I wanna do.

1 minute ago, Albert_E_A said:

You did apply thermal paste?

Yes I did.

Reading up on this specific processor seems that the random 80-90 degree spikes is just what the 7700 and 7700K do.  Intel says it's normal.

I've seen what happens when you don't apply thermal paste.  Geek Squad did it to my mom's computer once against my recommendation that she have them mess with it.

It wouldn't even boot to Windows before shutting down.

On 16/01/2018 at 6:38 PM, Harry Rhodan said:

That seems very optimistic. I would guess Zen 3 and the Ice Lake successor in 2020 could be the first generation that might be free of that stuff.

Remember that this isn't a regular refresh. Developing a new processor family normally takes a couple of years, but this is both a subsystem (and therefore not an entire processor) and a major vulnerability. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Software mitigation can probably only do so much.

Intel announced this week they will have fixed processors before the end of the year. AMD can't really afford not to, even if their processors are less vulnerable. I'm curious to see what the consensus in IT will turn out to be when safe processors emerge. If it does turn out software mitigation isn't fully possible, the conclusion might just be that you need new hardware if you're running any sort of respectable operation. If that's the case, we're going to see a lot of hardware being dumped. Obviously, Intel and AMD can only produce so many processors in any given period of time, so prices might spike.

I don't see the major manufacturers exchanging hardware for free, as that would mean certain bankruptcy. No one is served by that, short or long term.

Ive got some old (coupla years) components to sell, am thinking about taking it down to "Computer Exchange" because ebaying each item is such a hassle.

These are the big-ticket items, what would be a fair price to get?

Item: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz
Item: Asus Maximus VI HERO Z87 (motherboard)

Just looking for ballpark figures, I know they probably arent going to offer full market value, I just want to know if I am getting totally ripped off.

2 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Just looking for ballpark figures, I know they probably arent going to offer full market value, I just want to know if I am getting totally ripped off.

I would do a search for them on eBay, and filter by listings that have sold, not ones that are currently active.  This can give you an idea of what people are actually paying for them, not what people are asking.

Edited by Geonovast