KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Well, where online would I look?

As different websites are suitable to serve different countries, that is the same answer:

That very much depends on your area.
When starting Google Chrome

Do you have Realtek sound chip in your machine?

Well, when I try to enter a password (IE - JimmyJoeUser 1234). Error, Password not valid

I am probably misunderstanding you, but why would there be a password protection on Internet Explorer? Or are you referring to websites you are visiting?

On a more personal note, I started running Xubuntu from an USB-stick next to my Windows installation. On one hand it is somewhat tiring that pretty much everything works differently than it does under Windows, on the other hand it looks and feels like a neat OS and with some initiative, most things can be set up easily. It is a bit more spartan than Windows, but of course I am running Xubuntu, which is supposed to be just that compared to the more complete Ubuntu.

Most programs have a great Linux alternative, so unless you need very specific things I would suggest you try it! It is a lot cheaper than Windows and runs a little bit quicker too.

Well, if there's a site that ships to Sweden that sells Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11R, that'd be awesome. Also, found one on fry's, but they don't ship it.

Sorry, my knowlegde of Swedish hardware channels is limited. Some quick Googling turns up prisjakt.nu , www.komplett.se and webhallen.com. I would suggest you use Google to see whether you can find any others!

Why do you need that specific memory?

Sorry, my knowlegde of Swedish hardware channels is limited. Some quick Googling turns up prisjakt.nu , www.komplett.se and webhallen.com. I would suggest you use Google to see whether you can find any others!

Why do you need that specific memory?

Just figured it was pretty damn awesome. You have to admit, 2113MHz, 16GB is indeed quite nice.

look like my problem is still around... I rebooted my computer, and got this screen again :

It looks like it is trying to boot from a drive that is not bootable, or there is no boot drive available at all. Make sure that you:

- Check all SATA data cables to see whether they are plugged in fully and properly. For your boot drive, also check whether the power cable is connected fully and properly to the device.

- Make sure the HDD/SSD with your OS is on the primary SATA port (usually the one with the lowest number, but be careful to pick a native port for best performance).

- Set your HDD/SDD as the primary boot device in your BIOS/UEFI. The BIOS or UEFI is usually accessible by pressing delete, F2 or escape right after starting your computer. This is even before you see your Windows logo, it usually helps to mash the appropiate keyboard button a couple of times after pushing the power button :P

- To be sure, check whether you have anything connected via USB or similar port that could be mistaken for a bootable device (USB-sticks, eSATA, FireWire et cetera) and remove those if found. To be extra sure, you could remove all unnecessary USB devices (printers, game controllers et cetera) while booting.

What kind of hard drive do you have exactly?

I have a 500gb hard disc drive 7200 rpm (I don't know the rest, it came with the computer)

Good! Did you check out the things I listed? If that fails, you might want to download a program that can display SMART values like CrystalDiskInfo to see what those are saying. Something seems to be up with your HDD. The error code you posted points to the same thing.

Yes, I checked all of that, and saw I had a Cd in it. After removing it, it boots up, but My computer gets laggy and my control manager says that my HDD is at 100%, everything stop responding for a while, but there is no processus accessing it. I'll try CrystalDiskInfo

Yes, I checked all of that, and saw I had a Cd in it.

It is unusual for that to cause this behaviour, but possible, and it explains it well.

After removing it, it boots up, but My computer gets laggy and my control manager says that my HDD is at 100%, everything stop responding for a while, but there is no processus accessing it. I'll try CrystalDiskInfo
Strange. Are you sure it is your HDD at 100%? Not sure how the new Windows monitoring system looks as I am working from Xubuntu at the moment, but I think HDD's do not scale percentage wise.

It would be reasonable to assume that the boot problems were caused by the CD, unless the problem persists. Checking SMART values can not hurt, but the current behaviour might well be caused by something else.

Edited by Camacha

It is unusual for that to cause this behaviour, but possible, and it explains it well.

Strange. Are you sure it is your HDD at 100%? Not sure how the new Windows monitoring system looks as I am working from Xubuntu at the moment, but I think HDD's do not scale percentage wise.

It would be reasonable to assume that the boot problems were caused by the CD, unless the problem persists. Checking SMART values can not hurt, but the current behaviour might well be caused by something else.

This is what it look like now (It is not at 100% now, but I pressed so it arranged the highest amount at top, and the highest is shown as 0.3Mb/s, which is not suppose to be 17%)

J0gt5Et.png

This is what it look like now (It is not at 100% now, but I pressed so it arranged the highest amount at top, and the highest is shown as 0.3Mb/s, which is not suppose to be 17%)

http://i.imgur.com/J0gt5Et.png

Okay, my bad with the percentages, I am not too familiar with the Windows 8 tools yet. It looks to be allright though. This all seems to be in line with what it needs to be. What does your processor do during the lagging behaviour? You can open the Task Manager right at boot by adding it to the startup folder. Or is the lagging continuous?

Also, be sure that the behaviour is repeatable :) Sometimes simply rebooting can eliminate strange flukes, no use solving problems that are not a problem :)

Edited by Camacha

It is not happening on start up, it happen randomly while doing normal things. I first though it was my CPU that was 100% since this is what would cause typical lag, but I left the task manager open to look at it when it would happen, and the cpu is at 0% during the lag. It happened previously before I formated to win 8, with my win 7, so I though I had a virus or something like that, but now it is back..

It is not happening on start up, it happen randomly while doing normal things. I first though it was my CPU that was 100% since this is what would cause typical lag, but I left the task manager open to look at it when it would happen, and the cpu is at 0% during the lag. It happened previously before I formated to win 8, with my win 7, so I though I had a virus or something like that, but now it is back..

Okay, that all starts pointing towards a harddrive that is having some trouble. That is carried over after a full format (right?) is very suspicious. Maybe the SMART values can tell us more. I am just thinking out loud here, but I can imagine that when the disk is trying to do something that is not going to work out because of some defect, it can appear to be a 100% occupied to Windows while not actually doing anything useful, making it show no activity percentage wise . After a while it times out, and normal operation resumes.

If you do not have appropiate backups, now might be a good time to backup critical files as a precaution.

A virus could be an option, but it does not very much look like it. If you want to be sure that is not the case, you could burn a Linux CD from another computer (that is important) and do a scan on your hard drive.

Edited by Camacha

Here I catched it live while it was happening. The percentage was going up rapidly while the speeds under it were slowing down. The task manager stopped responding at the values on the screenshot (first time I catch it not at 100%). All I was doing when it happened was watching a youtube video. (Is there any probleme with flash player maybe?)

HOwtaUu.png

Edit: sorry for my french windows :s

(Is there any probleme with flash player maybe?)

There are a number of problems with Flash, but I do not think that is the issue here :P Unless it is only happening when watching a Flash movie, that would be reason to check it out more thoroughly.

Edit: sorry for my french windows :s

That is no problem, I know enough French and about Windows to read it just fine :)

Edited by Camacha