KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

i wonder how many of those clients are using older routers. or improperly configured routers. its possible thats happening on the developer side. but i suspect the client side routers are more to blame (not all are managed by people who know what they are doing).

its also possible you need to use an ipv6 dns address. most of the network issues i have are dns related.

Edited by Nuke

i was looking to see if any of the 4070ti cards will fit in my ncase m1. apparently they dont, but i did find a 7900xt that does and for roughly the same price. i might wait a week and see if amd drops their prices in response to the new gpu becoming available soon. i didnt want to spend over $700.  good idea? bad idea? wait more? are my 2070 super's days numbered? abandon technology, go to the woods and eat squirrels for a living?

honestly im leaning toward the latter. 

screw it i bought the damn thing, im done playing maybe video card with the whole damn industry, il upgrade again in 5-10 years when they get their heads out of their collective keisters. anything i need to know about migrating from nvidia to amd?

Edited by Nuke

On 1/5/2023 at 3:53 AM, Nuke said:

anything i need to know about migrating from nvidia to amd

I'm gonna say 'Nope' - presuming you dump drivers.  I've danced across the line several times, as I've always prioritized price / performance ratio (why did you have to leave us TechReport???  Your graphs were my Bible!) 

Only thing that NV really has a massive lead in is RT - and that is such a niche eye-candy thing that I would not worry about it. 

Beyond that - both handle 4k well and can exceed the design specs of most games handily 

fitment is what it ultimately came down to (and why i didnt get the xtx instead).  none of the 40xx cards were anywhere near fitting in this machine. and from the last generation xx60 line, the gpus were using the same size coolers as the higher end cards and i figured they would continue that trend. so no point waiting for those. what really sold me is a ltt video about the 4070 ti that showed a 7900xt for comparison, which prompted me to check its dimensions for fitment, there is even space left over for the power connector so no needing to get a separate u-adapter. i also am not a fan of nvidia's new power connector, i dispise the arbitrary changing of connector standards and their pigtail will no doubt cause additional fitment issues.

the new card will probibly out perform my 2070 super in the ray tracing department. i dont think ray tracing is ready for prime time just yet, even though its been available for a few generations. it was a nice novelty that lasted me all but 10 minutes, and i will probibly to continue to not use it. 

this is the most ive ever spent on a video card, and the first time i gone red (other than laptop gpus, but that was over a decade ago).

Edited by Nuke

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know how to get rated usb speeds or at least close to it? like i got a couple 10 gig ports according to my mobo manual which states usb 3.2 gen 2 with 10g speeds (one c and one a). i plug my quest 2 into it the c port with the official link cable and i only get 2.5gigabit. the cable is supposed to be able active and capable of feeding the quest at 5gb, and the quest2 itself is rated for the same. my new 7900xt has a usbc port (though im not sure what gen, but its meant to be fast enough for video) seems to give me 2.7gbit. the front panel port, which seems to have its own host controller, only gets 2.2. 

Edited by Nuke

Hello this is my new RIG:

Detailed Hardware: The computer is 1.5 years old with an RTX4080 upgrade.

- TOWER: FRACTAL DESIGN Focus G Black

- POWER: GIGABYTE P850GM 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular (Recommended to use with RTX 4080)

- Motherboard Model: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER

- RAM: CRUCIAL Ballistix 32GB 2X16GB DDR4 36000MHz CL16 Red (Recommended Model to use with AMD Processor)

- Processor Name: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor AM4BOX

- CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15S Chromax Black

- GRAPHICS CARD: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC 16GB GDDR6X

- WIN DRIVE: Gigabyte ssd aorus 1tb m2 gen4-nvme

- KSP DRIVE: SSD WESTERN DIGITAL SN850 2TB M.2 2280 Black NVMe Gen4 (Word Class M2 SSD)

- 3x Monitor: DELL S2721QS IPS 4ms 27″ 4K UHD 16:9 FreeSync

DEMO:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58565527

Edited by pmborg

did it take you 20 months to build? mine did.

got the case, the cpu, and all my cooling in may of 2021, the mobo in june, the ram in july. did a preliminary build with an old psu and gpu, ended up mining on it until i got the power supply in october, and the fast ssd in december. at which point i started using it as my daily driver. upgraded my monitor in january 2022 because upgrading gpu wasnt even an option.  i didnt get my new gpu until a few weeks ago. it saw a whole new cpu generation come to pass before i called it done. 

money wise i sunk $2900 into the computer and another $800 for the monitor. i believe this makes it the second most expensive computer ive built.

Edited by Nuke

11 hours ago, Nuke said:

did it take you 20 months to build? mine did.

got the case, the cpu, and all my cooling in may of 2021, the mobo in june, the ram in july. did a preliminary build with an old psu and gpu, ended up mining on it until i got the power supply in october, and the fast ssd in december. at which point i started using it as my daily driver. upgraded my monitor in january 2022 because upgrading gpu wasnt even an option.  i didnt get my new gpu until a few weeks ago. it saw a whole new cpu generation come to pass before i called it done. 

money wise i sunk $2900 into the computer and another $800 for the monitor. i believe this makes it the second most expensive computer ive built.

Not 20months, It was working before with a: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC (NVIDIA - 11 GB DDR6)

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC (NVIDIA - 11 GB DDR6) :    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58273631
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC 16GB GDDR6X:           https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58565527   

A lot of people don't realize that the secret is the BIOS configuration, my PC don't have any OC, just perform at WORLD CLASS, Top CPU in 80,000 and RAM TOP WORLD CLASS Also.

For sure I spend more that that, better not make the sums.. :)

Edited by pmborg

my plan was to build a modest sff build that was better than my previous. that boat probibly sailed when i got the case.  one of the last ncase m1s off the assembly line before it was discontinued. its a beautiful case, black anodized aluminum on all six sides. no windows, no leds.

cpu was a ryzen 5800x. i normally build intel+nvidia, but intel was letting me down as of late and wanted to see how the other half lived. 

mobo was an msi "mpg b550i gaming edge max wifi". its the only one i could find with front panel usb-c, which i needed for vr (and ended up not using).

this was cooleld with a nh-c14s. which despite being for sff builds is still a pretty beefy cooler with 7 heat pipes. this thing dwarfed the cryorig c7 i used on my 8086k build. 

i got 4 noctua 120mm slim fans (nf-a12x15 pwm i believe). and i also got a 92mm (nf-a9 pwm)  for the rear of the case. the fans in the gpu compartment are positive pressure, the fans up top in a pass through configuration to get as much cross flow through the cpu cooler as possible (in back to side order). its a wierd config but i tested every permutation and this is the best one. 

psu was a corsair sf750. i was going to use my sf600 but the trend at the time was more power to the gpu. in retrospect im glad i did this. the case allows this psu to suck clean air from the intate at the side vent and blow it out the top, bypassing the rest of the system, essentially giving me 3 different cooling zones in the case. 

ram was corsair lpx ddr4 2x16 3600. i needed short ram and this was what i went with. 

system storage was a 4th gen corsair force mp600 2tb for the boot drive. im glad i did this because its bloody fast.

data was on a sabrent rocket q 3rd gen 2tb. this doesnt need to be as fast. i run games off the other one. 

and the icing on the cake was the 7900xt. the xtx or anything from nvidia wouldnt fit. i ended up using its usb-c port for my vr headset, because its the fastest on the system. incidentally despite having 5 and 10 gig ports, i still cant get more than 2.5  gig out of any of them, except the gpu port does 2.7ish. either i got a counterfeit link cable or the hardware is lying to me about its performance, or there is a setting i haven't found yet. still haven't identified the bottleneck. traditional gaming performance is excelent though.

monitor was a gigabyte m32u, 32", 4k, 144hz. its nice but developed a dead pixel some time before my gpu upgrade.

i got a razor huntsman v2 keyboard and a logitech g604 wireless mouse. but they were christmas, birthday presents respectively. and im still using my 12 year old ch fighter stick, pro throttle and pedals (next upgrade perhaps). and the quest 2 of course.

sound is just found on the side of the road speakers with a no name $10 chinese amp bolted to the side. i dont like modern speakers, these look like they are from the '80s, but they are full range with 8 inch subs. the amp is crap, i dont think half the parts are soldered down correctly. definitely another future upgrade (or at least open it up for a recap and reflow). 

all in all a ferocious machine for fitting in 12 liters (sans peripherals).  

Edited by Nuke

• 4 weeks later...

@NFUNMeh.  Price is still painful - just not as bad as it was. 

But performance is dramatically better for the 4k segment. 

That's the kicker most people forget.  They're for 1440p and 4k.  The 3070 is entry level 4k (at functional frames) (yeah, yeah 2080) - yet this Gen is really good for 4k. 

Not that you need these for 1080p - unless you feel like you can't live without raytracing.  (that is kind of a joke - no one needs raytracing) 

Sadly it's way too early to figure out why they're suggesting 3080 for anything other than 1440 (+) 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

gpus are at least easy to get now. just not cheap. 

i got my cpu before things went crazy, unfortunately its kind of old now. 

mobo was painful. never figured id need to spend more than a hundy on a mobo, yet here we are with $200-300 mobos being middle tier. 

as far as ram goes i think ddr5 is still expensive. so i went with ddr4. 

totally agree about ratracing, its still far to early for that to be remotely viable. 

Edited by Nuke

Is the Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual Evo 6GB graphics card compatible with the ASUSTeK H81M-K motherboard?
Sorry for writing this here, maybe this is the wrong place on this forum, but I need to buy this card and an additional 8 GB to play Kerbal Space Program 2, which I bought on February 24, the day of the premiere, unfortunately my old computer did not cope, I am thinking about filling out the refund application on steam :-(

But I'm also thinking about buying a new graphics card and an additional 8 GB RAM chip on Allegro (this is our Polish eBay)

It should be: rtx2060 is a PCIe 3.0 card, while H81 chipset of your mobo is PCIe 2.0, but  PCIe is backward compatible.  But honestly, if you can afford it, upgrade the whole system. 

edit

Check if your PSU can cope with the required wattage if you want to just go with the the2060

Edited by Terensky

On 2/26/2023 at 11:09 AM, Terensky said:

It should be: rtx2060 is a PCIe 3.0 card, while H81 chipset of your mobo is PCIe 2.0, but  PCIe is backward compatible.  But honestly, if you can afford it, upgrade the whole system. 

edit

Check if your PSU can cope with the required wattage if you want to just go with the the2060

ksp2 is very gpu bound since all the part physics is done on compute. and if you dont have that compute you are going to have a bad time. 2.0 slot is mostly going to be a bottleneck to load times, but it should be enough to handle physics. its still a bottleneck and should be upgraded asap. as far as cpu goes the game can run on as few as 4 cores.  but if you just want to play ksp2 at the minimal cost, id do the gpu upgrade. id do both if you can swing it. even moving up to something a few generations old would be an improvement. 

Could i connect 8 pin Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual Evo 6 GB graphic card to with 6 pin + 2 pin power cable I ordered 6+2 adapter but wonder does is possible to connect it via two cable 6 and 2 pin my PSU is 520 watt ?

I just wonder maybe I could connect it 6 and 2 pin cable 

On 2/28/2023 at 4:01 AM, Nuke said:

ksp2 is very gpu bound since all the part physics is done on compute. and if you dont have that compute you are going to have a bad time.

Where did you get that from? The GPU is not doing the part physics calculations.

I'd hold off on recommending any upgrades for KSP2 in its current condition, because at this point in time there is no telling what will be the bottleneck in KSP2. 

I see a H81 motherboard mentioned, we're talking 4th generation Intel, that's 10 years old and already bottlenecked KSP1, if anything that needs to be upgraded and for now, the only safe advise for KSP2. 

3 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Where did you get that from? The GPU is not doing the part physics calculations.

I'd hold off on recommending any upgrades for KSP2 in its current condition, because at this point in time there is no telling what will be the bottleneck in KSP2. 

I see a H81 motherboard mentioned, we're talking 4th generation Intel, that's 10 years old and already bottlenecked KSP1, if anything that needs to be upgraded and for now, the only safe advise for KSP2. 

you sure about that. i got that intel from scott manly's videos.

sure as hell dont want the gpu doing space math. 

Edited by Nuke

On 2/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Pawelk198604 said:

Could i connect 8 pin Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Dual Evo 6 GB graphic card to with 6 pin + 2 pin power cable I ordered 6+2 adapter but wonder does is possible to connect it via two cable 6 and 2 pin my PSU is 520 watt ?

I just wonder maybe I could connect it 6 and 2 pin cable 

The 6+2 connector let you put the 2 onto the side of the 6 to get an 8 pin connector who you use to connect to the grapic card. 
The two connector does not stick well to the 6 but enough that its easy to connect.  The 6+2 connector is this way as the old standard was 6 connectors but it was changed to 8 but still let you use old cards. 

One hint then buying graphics cards, make sure they will fit in the pc case.  The 3 fan cards are long, often longer than 30 cm.  My new card displaced some hard drives, I had to move them to the bottom part of the case. 

so long as you dont exceed the sum of the power limits on the wires, you should be fine. its just a 2060.

18 gauge can handle about 14 amps and shouldn't exceed 16. at 12v thats 168w per pair. my old 2070 super barely pulled 100w. or do what i do plug it in, let it run a gpu benchmark for a couple hours. if the wires feel extremely hot, or looked melted, stop it. 

also verify the wire gauge, some psu manufacturers skimp and use 20 or 22 gauge instead. see if you can find the wire specs usually printed on the wires themselves. 

Edited by Nuke

12 hours ago, magnemoe said:

One hint then buying graphics cards, make sure they will fit in the pc case.  The 3 fan cards are long, often longer than 30 cm.  My new card displaced some hard drives, I had to move them to the bottom part of the case. 

was watching an ltt video yesteday about the 7900xtx. he opens the video saying that the xt is a ripoff and you should get the more expensive model. then everyone doing the upgrade, in huge cases mind you are all using risers, zipties. or other case mods to get the damn thing to fit. being able to install something in your case is kind of an important design spec. the xt fits in an sff case. i also picked it over the 4070 because of that stupid octopus header. 

16 hours ago, Nuke said:

was watching an ltt video yesteday about the 7900xtx. he opens the video saying that the xt is a ripoff and you should get the more expensive model. then everyone doing the upgrade, in huge cases mind you are all using risers, zipties. or other case mods to get the damn thing to fit. being able to install something in your case is kind of an important design spec. the xt fits in an sff case. i also picked it over the 4070 because of that stupid octopus header. 

Some cases might be to physical small. Other makes it hard to have 3.5" drives. 
My came with an support bracket. Downside with that is that its it was only with magnets instead of having an slot in the graphics card body to fasten it so it might get loose during transport and could short stuff. 

Far worse for me, I used my new 4070ti one day. Then it looks like the PSU died and took the motherboard with it, luckily the motherboard is still under guaranty. 
Do not know about the PSU, as bought it at workplace and we have bought many of them.