KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

On 3/2/2023 at 8:14 PM, Nuke said:

was watching an ltt video yesteday about the 7900xtx. he opens the video saying that the xt is a ripoff and you should get the more expensive model. then everyone doing the upgrade, in huge cases mind you are all using risers, zipties. or other case mods to get the damn thing to fit. being able to install something in your case is kind of an important design spec. the xt fits in an sff case. i also picked it over the 4070 because of that stupid octopus header. 

How's the game performing at 4k?

I'd pretty decided to skip this Gen - but 15 fps on Med settings is giving me headaches.  Not going to jump too soon - but I might if the first two patches don't improve performance.  I'm not a sff guy - but having looked around I might need a new case anyway ;/

Weird part of the game is that sometimes I'm getting a playable 25-35 fps with the 3070, and then it's clunking along at 12-15. That alone has me waiting. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

i never really checked the framerate but the game was smooth as butter. i doubt its maxing out the 144hz the monitor can do though. most of the problems i had was with bugs in the game. 

Edited by Nuke

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

i never really checked the framerate but the game was smooth as butter. i doubt its maxing out the 144hz the monitor can do though. most of the problems i had was with bugs in the game. 

Seeing as your monitor is virtually the same as mine, would you mind checking FPS

* driving near KSC 

* flying near KSC 

* Orbit of Kerbin - both looking at the planet and away 

And 

On or near any other body - with the body/ground in frame?  

(I have performance for Minmus - but whatever body you might be near in regular play would be appreciated.   FWIW - the in game fps counter reports the same as the Nvidia one - but it is kinda hard to read. ) 

TIA 

i dont have time to run it right now. but the amd software does track framerates in each game you run, its reporting 21.8 fps. that seems pretty low, lower than what i was experiencing. the parts of the game that were gameplay felt snappy. so i figure its counting the usual stutter caused by delta-v calculation and opening the parts menu or loads/saves. 

as for recording, its not something ive ever needed to do. with only 4tb local space i dont think im built for it. im mostly relying on a nas for bulk storage. 

Edited by Nuke

24 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i dont have time to run it right now. but the amd software does track framerates in each game you run, its reporting 21.8 fps. that seems pretty low, lower than what i was experiencing. the parts of the game that were gameplay felt snappy. so i figure its counting the usual stutter caused by delta-v calculation and opening the parts menu or loads/saves. 

as for recording, its not something ive ever needed to do. with only 4tb local space i dont think im built for it. im mostly relying on a nas for bulk storage. 

I'm not a regular user - just started using the NVidia software to upload bug reports.

Mild curiosity over whether I will retain the ability if I switch.  Research suggests that the XTX is the performance (vomit) price winner at the moment.  Just can't bring myself to look at 4080.

Fundamentally, I'd like to skip this whole generation - but if the 4k performance remains sub-20 FPS?

Ick.

as i understand it nvidia still has the better streaming capabilities, but since i dont use them, that wasnt really a concern. arc supposidly has a really good encoder but its too new and not supported by anything. i wouldnt doubt that the xt has some capability as its a standard feature now. the biggest concern i had was if the damn thing would fit into my 12 liter case.  looking at the dimensions on the 40xx cards, none of them would fit, nor would the xtx. the only other requirement was that it be significantly better than my 2070 super, that ruled out arc. so it kind of narrowed it down. i wanted better 4k performance and it does deliver that in every game ive thrown at it. that includes ksp2, the game was full of bugs but it was snappy when it worked. my experience with team red is more or less recent, ive always built blue/green. before this build, i hadnt used an amd processor since 2003 and i havent used an amd gpu (and that was a laptop gpu) since 2009. 

i think gpu manufacturers went all out on inefficient performance as a counter to crypto mining. crypto was really profitable on my 2070 super because the thing would only draw about 95 watts running daggerhashimoto. now im drawing well over 3 times that. thats 3 times more of your coin goes to the power bill. miners are very energy conscious because it affects the bottom line. but everyone knew etherium was going proof of stake, so it doesn't quite add up. they might have suspected that the date on that may have been pushed back, and the lead time on fab work is no doubt long. profit margins are now razor thin and gpu mining is good and dead unless there is a major shift back in gpu markets. i kind of thought ravencoin or something else would pick up the slack but that just hasn't happened. 

i give intel credit for aiming arc at the middle tier among performance competitors. you have to admit that was an area being grossly underserved by red and green the last generation or two.  intel could have racked up bank had the cards been better. i expect subsequent generations to fix all the bugs unless they decide to can the whole project. i think its a mistake, as id like to see more competition. 

Edited by Nuke

Well that was an eye opener. In short, I got an 4070ti. after having it one day my PSU died taking the motherboard with it. 
I got my hand on an AMD 5950X cpu who is an upgrade from my AMD 3900X cpu, but I got heating issues in bios settings so no windows yet. 

My Corsair iCUE H100i water cooling has always reported my cpu to be very cool like in the 30-40 centigrade. It was an lie.
it report 32 degree now, other sources like bios and motherboard data give an 80 degree cpu and cpu package a 90 degree. 
That is ramping up fan rpm to max and some attempts to underclock cpu to keep temperature under control. 

Yes I know I did not clean old thermal paste from the cpu and just added an drop of new one but that should not explain this, more likely my old cpu was just below threshold of failing, the new was above. 
Weirder cpu temprature is the same in windows writing this as then playing games. 

Got an new cooler ASUS TUF GAMING LC 240 ARGB CPU cooler. Things is back to normal, and the old cooler will be returned on guarantee.

Edited by magnemoe

On 3/7/2023 at 10:21 PM, magnemoe said:

Well that was an eye opener. In short, I got an 4070ti. after having it one day my PSU died taking the motherboard with it. 
I got my hand on an AMD 5950X cpu who is an upgrade from my AMD 3900X cpu, but I got heating issues in bios settings so no windows yet. 

My Corsair iCUE H100i water cooling has always reported my cpu to be very cool like in the 30-40 centigrade. It was an lie.
it report 32 degree now, other sources like bios and motherboard data give an 80 degree cpu and cpu package a 90 degree. 
That is ramping up fan rpm to max and some attempts to underclock cpu to keep temperature under control. 

Yes I know I did not clean old thermal paste from the cpu and just added an drop of new one but that should not explain this, more likely my old cpu was just below threshold of failing, the new was above. 
Weirder cpu temprature is the same in windows writing this as then playing games. 

Got an new cooler ASUS TUF GAMING LC 240 ARGB CPU cooler. Things is back to normal, and the old cooler will be returned on guarantee.

I've a similar story from yeas ago.  Did not pay attention to my PSU through several upgrades and then fried the Mobo. 

Wasn't fun, but it was educational! 

thats certainly a case for up-specing. psus actually last a really long time if you dont push them too close to the limit. granted you have to get a good one. i haven't had a problem with corsair supplies thus far.  especially love the stability of their sfx line at the upper middle tier that i like to build at. had the 600 and 750w variants, the latter was bought because of the rise in gpu power demands, otherwise id have just kept the 600w.

you also got to watch the power demands of led lighting and water cooling pumps. this is why i use neither. its just more stuff to go wrong.

Edited by Nuke

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

thats certainly a case for up-specing. psus actually last a really long time if you dont push them too close to the limit. granted you have to get a good one. i haven't had a problem with corsair supplies thus far.  especially love the stability of their sfx line at the upper middle tier that i like to build at. had the 600 and 750w variants, the latter was bought because of the rise in gpu power demands, otherwise id have just kept the 600w.

you also got to watch the power demands of led lighting and water cooling pumps. this is why i use neither. its just more stuff to go wrong.

My old PSU was 750 watt new is 850,  some 5 years ago I bought 10 high performance pc's who was nice but they came with crap PSU so I ended up buying spares so I could just swap and return the old for refund. I assume the 750 watt was part of that replacement program as I could not refund it :(

Old PSU for that pc series  was no brand new was corsair, same with old water cooling, new PSU is corsair too 
My complain is that the old water cooler used internal measurement for cpu temperature  who was an lie and failed hard with new  CPU.

You  have an point with more stuff who can go wrong, but an standard CPU cooler would stand downwind of the GPU heat. 

But now I want to stress test the system as in getting KSP 2 :cool:

On 3/5/2023 at 8:08 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Weird part of the game is that sometimes I'm getting a playable 25-35 fps with the 3070, and then it's clunking along at 12-15. That alone has me waiting. 

What kind of 3070? Laptop or desktop?

That's, more or less, what I'm getting from my laptop with my 3070

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

@Nuke- did you ever solve your heat problem? 

no. i thought about ordering custom gpu cables. shorter, thicker, higher quality wires and connectors. shorter runs should give better airflow. i could do just the gpu connectors to save money but the mobo power cable is way too long. none of these runs are longer than 6 inches except the cpu power cable. 

i got a work around, and thats just to supersample from 1440p. keeps the temps somewhat stable. granted i havent ran the game since then, hoping a few patches of optimization will fix it in the middle term. also its a new model video card model so a few driver updates should also help.

Edited by Nuke

Thinking about an older Dell workstation with an RX 580. I can do 32 GB of RAM and stay on budget. It would be my first PC - before, I was playing on a mobile workstation from 2013. Anyone have input on better graphics card options? That's the area I know the least about. Trying to stay below 200 USD...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 11:40 AM, SOXBLOX said:

Thinking about an older Dell workstation with an RX 580. I can do 32 GB of RAM and stay on budget. It would be my first PC - before, I was playing on a mobile workstation from 2013. Anyone have input on better graphics card options? That's the area I know the least about. Trying to stay below 200 USD...

You are in the used market most likely.  Covid plus Chinese cyber boom convinced the chip giants they were leaving money on the table - so everything is expensive now.  Even then, the resale market is overpriced, IMO because of these lingering effects. 

Second factor is that chips are being produced these days for the 1440p and 4k monitor crowd.  Plus RT - but that's more aspirational than required.  Games benefiting from RT implementation just aren't there yet.  (Some love them and newer titles are offering RT - but it all looks overdone to me rn - the true artistic implementation?  Just not there, yet) 

So as long as you are sticking with 1080p, a 580 isn't a bad card.  I ran my 970 happily until I bought a 4k monitor. 

32 GB of RAM may be overkill or not depending on what you do.   I'm still running 16.  

So if you really want a newer card?  Probably anything from the previous 2 generations are fine, and 3 if you only look at the one-time enthusiast / high end cards. 

Conceptually you should keep in mind that game developers are starting to leverage higher vRAM availability in certain cards - so much so that I will be hard pressed to buy any card with 8GB even as a value proposition.  I'm already feeling the limitations of my 3070s 8gb vRAM at 4k.  So if you are torn between two similar Gen cards with similar price, but one has more vRAM?  Get that one. 

What is normal cpu temperatures? My cpu tend to stay cool then its not much load, 35-40 degree, but  50 then playing games, and up to 70 on full load like cpu intensive rendering. 
I also has cpu package who tend to be 8-10 degree hotter. My old cooler fooled me for years so I'm a bit paranoid. 

16 hours ago, magnemoe said:

What is normal cpu temperatures? My cpu tend to stay cool then its not much load, 35-40 degree, but  50 then playing games, and up to 70 on full load like cpu intensive rendering. 
I also has cpu package who tend to be 8-10 degree hotter. My old cooler fooled me for years so I'm a bit paranoid. 

Most everything recent can handle 70.  85 isn't uncommon.  I would not recommend keeping it at 85 - but 70 is fine.