KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

So, my motherboard has 3 PCI slots, and a SLI connecter, thing. How exactly would I go installing another 770 into my PC?

Make sure you have enough power form your PSU to keep that card happy or you are going to have a bad time, You aquire another 770, insert it into your motherboard and mount it to the case, hook up the power to it, Attach the SLI connector, and then start adjusting drivers and settings. For reference, what motherboard are you using? What PSU do you use?

I have a 650 watt PSU with a ASUS-z87 Pro. Although, the ones I can find don't have 3 PCI slots, mine does

Your motherboard supports 2x SLI, it has two full speed 16x slots and one 8x PCIe 3.0 slots. Both cards will pull a combined total of ~460 Watts. I don't know what the rest of your system pulls, But you're probably in the Danger Zone. Now you MAY have to factor in getting higher Watt PSU. Assuming you need a new PSU, this is your option. Or get a better single GPU and not upgrade PSUs.

I'm sorry for the "Book of Teddy's Computer Woes", but i have tried everything i can think of and google can only get you so far in life.

I was here a while back and asked for advice about a new mobo and cpu. I bought what was suggested but had some trouble getting up and running but managed to very carefully google my way through most of it (this was all way back in september, and i was completely new to the world of computer building and still sorta am). Then i had some gta v related distractions and then had to deal with life, then christmas rolled around. I poked at it here and there, had the mobo replaced, but still can't quite get it running properly.

When i got my board back i had to use my own thermal paste, i was extremely careful and watched many youtube videos and read tutorials. I used the "size of a pea" method and am pretty sure it worked out, there is no excess around the sides and can see through the gaps on the cooler to see it make contact all around, and the temp monitoring program said its within normal ranges.

Now it will restart after about 3.5 hours if it uses an external graphics card, but it will run totaly fine if it uses the onborad gpu. I have used 2 different cards (NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 and AMD Radeon HD 7300) and they restart the system (but i only tested them in #1 of the 2 available pcie ports), i have tested them with another mobo/cpu and they do not restart that system. I have swapped out the PSU, the ram, the hard drive was from another mobo/cpu and worked fine in that build (and continued to work fine in that build when i sent of the new mobo for replacement), swapped the sata cable with the one plugged into the cd drive, kept the cd drive unplugged. I made sure all the connections are tight and have swapped out every part on the new mobo/cpu, and tested them with the old mobo/cpu and they all work fine (actually I got a new, more powerfull PSU but it didn't change anything).

I flashed the proper version of the BIOS, installed the drivers and such from the disk that came with the mobo, downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers (but left out the audio, lan, utilities and sata drivers for some reason, are those important?). I downloaded 3 or 4 temp monitoring programs but only used speedfan. I ended up with some viruses from downloading that and have since reinstalled my os to get rid of them, but using speedfan and while playing KSP it would read the gt card at around 55c and the cpu at around 46c and both in the low to mid 20s when idle. I downloaded and installed the drivers for both cards, and deleted and uninstalled one cards drivers when installing the other. Even updated the BIOS of the gt630.

Aslo sometimes when its idling, the task manager shows some strange things. The cpu usage will be at around 70% and the disk will be at 100% usage until i move the mouse, then it goes back down. Other times it will show small cpu spikes every 2 seconds lasting about 2 seconds, rapidly jumping from 1% use to 12% use and back.

It's probably worth noting that i might not restart if it's idling for the 3.5 hours (last night it was on for just under 5 hours after idling for most of that time), but even the web page looked up or even moving the mouse every once in a while will probably restart the system after 3.5 hours.

So what did i miss? Are those extra drivers for the mobo i neglected to install as important as they sound? Is there something extra i should have done with my hard drive? Should i RMA my cpu? Or my board again? Should i disable my on-board gpu in the BIOS(tried that but not sure if i actually did it)? Should i disable and/or uninstall my on-board gpu from the device manager window(i got a black screen when i tried to mess with that)? I am at a loss and would very much appreciate any and all help anyone can give me.

Again, sorry for the book, here's my build;

cpu: A10-6800k

mobo: F2A85-M

Graphics: (currently)Radeon HD 7300/(no installed)GeForce GT 630

HDD: st1000dm003 1tb (works with other mobo/cpu)

PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE-750

Ram: (currently) 2x4gb sticks (don't know the brand or anything else about them, they came with the original computer)/(not Installed)Corsair Veneance 16gb (2x8gb) ddr3 1600mhz

Edit: froze after 5 hours of idle and looking for KSP mods on the forum here and there. Forced to hard reset.

Edited by Sol_Rokks_Teddy

I'm planning on trading my 1TB HDD for my roommate's 1TB HDD since his has a removable SATA to USB part on it and I plan on using that SATA conneciton for a mirror RAID array with my internal 1TB SATA HDD. Are there any notable differences between using an external SATA HDD as compared to an internal SATA HDD that might affect the RAID array (if not just the file I/O in general)?

Hey all, just coming along, looking, and trying to find a cheap build, $1000-$1200 budget, Screen, keyboard, and mouse included.

This would be a build for some gaming, and some video recording/editing, etc. I do own a copy of windows 8.1 to install on it

I was looking at at least a 760, as gpu, and at least the performance of an i5 4440.

Hey all, just coming along, looking, and trying to find a cheap build, $1000-$1200 budget, Screen, keyboard, and mouse included.

This would be a build for some gaming, and some video recording/editing, etc. I do own a copy of windows 8.1 to install on it

I was looking at at least a 760, as gpu, and at least the performance of an i5 4440.

How about something like this?

@Sol: You said you swapped out the PSU, with what? There are a lot of possibilities for problems like you describe but I'd start with the PSU. What kind of heat sink are you using on the CPU and are you sure it's making good contact, evenly and firmly screwed down (or however it attaches some of them are pretty tricky). How careful were you about ESD precautions? Leave the case open put a good table top fan on high directly to blow cool air into the case does it make any difference? Have you searched for problems like this with your motherboard? What do you see in windows device manager anything not working?

The on-board GPU should be disabled automatically when the mb detects an add on card. When you put the graphics cards in what does that do to the air flow? When you put the graphics card in is it causing the motherboard to shift or possibly short in any way? Are you sure you have enough power for the card and everything else. Remember total wattage does not tell all, you can have plenty of wattage but still be drawing too much power on a single rail.

Do anyone here ever tried the GTX Titan? It looks cool, the name is cool... but $1k price and OpenCL performance worse than a 7970 make me think twice

Are you playing games in a resolution higher than 1080p across multiple monitors?, Are you running a Small scale Rendering Studio dealing in Video?, Are you someone with to much money on their hands and and not enough sense to buy a GTX 780 Ti? Then the GTX Titan is for you!

If you need OpenCL performance, get an AMD card. If your creating a Crypto-currency mining rig, get an AMD GPU. The AMD Equivalents used to be Good Price/Performance counterparts to Nividia GPU Solutions. That is not the case anymore, the Crypto-currency community has caused AMD GPU's to Skyrocket in price compared to their Nividia rivals.

Edited by Leonov

Wait, I thought that GPU Bitcoin mining is already extinct several months ago after ASICs has been invented... oh right, there is other crypto-coin other then BTC

Actually I'm not asking for a card suggestion here, as you already answered it several pages ago, but I'm asking if someone have a titan, or two (gasp!)

And now there is such thing as a Titan Black, right at 23 minutes ago: http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5231/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-black-4-way-sli-review

Wait, I thought that GPU Bitcoin mining is already extinct several months ago after ASICs has been invented... oh right, there is other crypto-coin other then BTC

Actually I'm not asking for a card suggestion here, as you already answered it several pages ago, but I'm asking if someone have a titan, or two (gasp!)

And now there is such thing as a Titan Black, right at 23 minutes ago: http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5231/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-black-4-way-sli-review

Titan Black just seems like a 780 Ti with the 6GB of Vram. Not a lot of specs out on it but it was only inevitable, you cant have your newest product outperform your flagship model and not BE your flagship model.

I have a mate with a couple 7970s doing bitcoin, he makes about 18USD a month from it before figuring power consumption(if your into that).

ASIC's are the only way to make real profit from Bitcoin mining. ASIC's also several thousand dollars more for a good ASIC card. But lets not talk about mining crypto-currencies.

Nividia's Die manufacturer allegedly isn't ready for 20nm yet, so the GTX 800 Series wont be ready till late this year. :/

Edited by Leonov

Should the (maybe) much anticipated 800 series be ready by summer 2015? That's when I plan to scrap my rig and build a new one. Are any estimate prices around?

I appear to be wrong, the GTX 750 Ti just got released and it is indeed a Maxwell chip. ALL ABOARD THE MAXWELL HYPE-TRAIN.

Upon further inspection the 750 and the 750 Ti are not Maxwell, but Super Tuned 28nm Kepler cards.

So much for Maxwell this year.

Edited by Leonov

How would one go about checking how much power is being used? In the BIOS?

The only accurate way is to measure it at the wall or inside your computer. There are good but cheap socket type devices around that can measure your power consumption. I have a Cresta device that I bought for around 10 dollar.

If you want to know in advance Leonov's suggestions are a good start.

I undersand this is a PC Building thread, but I have a question reguarding a file.

I started my PC this morining and found a "Program" file, with no extension at 0Kb just sitting in my C:\ drive, I don't know why its there or when it got there, but this morning it popped up a message about it being renamed to Program1 breaking programs....however I had no clue it existed until then, and I never tried to rename it...(In fact it DIDN'T exist until today...).

AVG is unable to detect it, and I can't do a selective scan of it.

Seems you have trouble. I would suggest to do some thorough scans until you find and remove it. Best would be a reinstall, that way you can be fairly certain you are not still stuck with it. Yes, it is drastic, but I do not like half measures.

I appear to be wrong, the GTX 750 Ti just got released and it is indeed a Maxwell chip. ALL ABOARD THE MAXWELL HYPE-TRAIN.

Upon further inspection the 750 and the 750 Ti are not Maxwell, but Super Tuned 28nm Kepler cards.

So much for Maxwell this year.

Well every sources that I find say that 750 is a Maxwell card, what is your source? Especially this: http://techreport.com/review/26050/nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-maxwell-graphics-processor

And this is a weird quote from tomshardware:

LuxMark is another bastion for AMD, where the compute performance of its GPUs typically dwarfs competing Nvidia cards. The Radeons are so much faster, in fact, that Nvidia typically avoids addressing our results, stating only that it doesn't optimize for compute workloads on its gaming cards.

But 750 have the best performance per watt in LTC mining! I'm starting to get a little conscious in power consumption