KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Well, if anybody is looking for a SSD to buy, I just replaced the stock HDD in my early 2008 iMac with a brand new Samsung 850 Pro (256 gig version).

My god is it fast.

8 hours ago, GDJ said:

Well, if anybody is looking for a SSD to buy, I just replaced the stock HDD in my early 2008 iMac with a brand new Samsung 850 Pro (256 gig version).

My god is it fast.

Most modern SSDs are pretty much equally fast, especially if they are limited by the SATA protocol :)

7 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

But I need the cheapest possible laptop that can rn KSP. Yeah, cheapest possible. I can't look at store sites without getting quintillions of ads, so I'm asking you guys!

Thanks!

What specs do you want?

I got an Intel Pentium CPU J2900 @ 2.41 GHz Factory Graphics. I ran the game un-modded and it was doing fine. All except the lag in the clock. Turned Graphics settings down. Now I downloaded CKAN and some mods. Gonna see if they work tonight. Thanks guys. Trying to find a mod similar to BD Armory, since it says it don't work in 1.1.2 and IDGAF if they don't want anyone talking about that. All that says is screw everyone thats been downloading and using the mod for years and we don't care about y'all. Theres a bunch of mods listed as expansions that say they work with 1.1.2, but the expansion doesn't do any good if the core don't work.

Edited by phreakshow

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a new computer. Got to be a laptop, for portability, and capable handling adobe suit, and cad programs particularly Rhino + Grasshopper, and rivit- without trouble. And of course, KSP.

Two models I'm interested in :

MSI GL62 15.6in Core i7 Gaming Notebook

Or 

Metabox-Alpha-N150RD-Laptop

Probably with these part selections:

Spoiler

5.6" FHD IPS WVA Matte 60Hz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 
Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
540S 120GB SATA3 M.2 SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
802.11 BGN / Bluetooth M.2
DVD Slim Line
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
2 Year Metabox Premium Care

I want to spend less than 1600 Australian, give or take a little.  

Probably leaning towards the second one, partially due to aesthetics, the power port placement, (Also I like having the vga port, I use those a bit, ). 

The differences seems to be in the ram, one's takes ddr4 and is expandable to 32gb, rather than ddr3 and 16gb. There's also the possibility of getting an extra SSD in one if I act soon enough to get certain deals. (Also differences in screens, but I'm not quite sure how they'd compare, and it's not my top priority. Also, it will hopefully be plugged in most of the time.  ) 

So any comments on these models or the merits of different parts would be much appreciated. 

My old machine was an acer  v3-571g with an i7 3630qm, and a nVIDIA 640m, 8gb ram, 4gb graphics ram, 1 Tb hard drive. For most of its life, it ran KSP like a champ, apart from several hiccups. 

Edit: also looking at some Asus gaming laptops with similar specs but more Vram. They're more expensive, though so...

This one's not so bad. Might this, with its  4720hq be better than the Metabox option? 

Edited by Tw1
Whatever I get needs to be run well, to help me stay ahead at university

I would wait for the release of AMDs Polaris GPUs, their better efficency will help a lot in laptops and they will be more powerfull, too. Im not sure about the laptop release, but the desktop release is on the 29.6.

So I decided to purchase a new iMac as my 2010 iMac is showing its age on graphics performance.

I want to be able to run RP-0/RSS/RVE/EVE smoothly. My current iMac frame rates are poor when I install RVE/EVE to being unplayable. I want some clouds dangit!

I have narrowed down to two builds.. both 27" iMac 5K Displays.

Build 1: i5/8GB RAM/2TB Fusion Drive with a upgraded AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB VRAM

Build 2: i7/8GB RAM/2TB Fusion Drive with standard AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB VRAM

Which would I see more KSP performance .. i7 CPU or i5 with faster GPU and double the VRAM? Would the bigger impact be CPU performance or graphics card?

Thanks in advance!

PS.. No I wont consider getting a windows computer. LOL

Probably there is not significant difference. Multithreading of KSP (and Unity) is still quite primitive and I do not think that i7's hyperthreading give anything to KSP. Stock KSP also does not need more than 2 GB VRAM but I do not know if some mods have so much huge textures. I would base my decision to other needs than KSP.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

What speed are the CPUs in each? That will make the biggest difference. Also for the price of either of those Macs you could buy a PC capable of 4k 60fps gaming.

He said he wont buy a Pc, obviously our guy is not homo economicus.

As for you mate, Clock speed is very very important for Ksp, You should look for highest clock speed while keeping cpu generation new enough. Gpu's matter but, not that much.

5 hours ago, Kernalrom said:

PS.. No I wont consider getting a windows computer. LOL

Argh, I had a reply written out, then the thread got merged and I lost it before I could post... regardless...

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by not considering a PC, however, I will leave my opinion of system choice at that.  If you love Mac and know the OS inside and out, then stick with Mac.

---

It would help a lot to know specifically which CPUs you are looking at, as some i5s are better suited to games than some i7s.  However, not knowing specifically which ones you are looking at, it's impossible to make a fully-informed decision.

However, I can help with one aspect:

- If you plan to play a lot of other graphics-intensive games, then invest in the better GPU. However...

- If your only game will be KSP, you will likely be better off with a stronger CPU.

Again, it's hard to properly recommend it without knowing which specific processors you are talking about.  if you can provide details as to exactly which processors are in each option, that would help significantly.  Saying i5 and i7 doesn't exactly cut it, I'm afraid, as there are a huge number of variants in each category, some of which are better suited to one task than another.

Edited by Slam_Jones

3 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Argh, I had a reply written out, then the thread got merged and I lost it before I could post... regardless...

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by not considering a PC, however, I will leave my opinion of system choice at that.

It would help a lot to know specifically which CPUs you are looking at, as some i5s are better suited to games than some i7s.  However, not knowing specifically which ones you are looking at, it's impossible to make a fully-informed decision.

However, I can help with one aspect:

- If you plan to play a lot of other graphics-intensive games, then invest in the better GPU, however

- If your only game will be KSP, you will likely be better off with a stronger CPU.

Again, it's hard to properly recommend it without knowing which specific processors you are talking about.  if you can provide details as to exactly which processors are in each option, that would help significantly.  Saying i5 and i7 doesn't exactly cut it, I'm afraid, as there are a huge number of variants in each category, some of which are better suited to one task than another.

Sorry.

What @Slam_Jones said is basically correct, but I will go out on a limb here and shill for PCs over Macs, even if you don't want Windows you can get a Linux distro that mimics the OSX UI almost perfectly (forgot the name). There's even stuff with Rainmeter these days that lets you pretend it's OSX too. It's just a better buy and much better value for money if you ask me, and you don't lose any real functionality.

@Kernalrom actual CPU model numbers please. "i5" and i7" are brand names that cover a vast gulf in performance.

EDIT: OK, it looks like Apple themselves have taken to being evasive regarding the actual CPU models they use. *sigh* That's pretty lame and makes it very difficult to give an informed prediction of gaming performance. (It also means my own already-low opinion of Apple takes a further drop, but you've stated it's what you want.)

In any case, with the iMac being practically a laptop on a stand, cooling is going to be an issue. Perhaps the only way to judge is benchmarks on the actual Apple hardware, if you can find any.

@Avera9eJoe the 6600K. In my experience KSP 1.1 usually only uses the equivalent of two cores.

Edited by cantab

@Alphasus @Camacha

The day has finally arrived that I will be buying my computer parts. Needless to say, I am very excited. I'm still going with everything we discussed (link to post here). Unfortunately, the video card we eventually selected is out of stock on Newegg, and the same card on Amazon is an extra $70. I think I am going to choose a different GFX as a result. I don't want to have to spend extra for the same card on Amazon, and I want everything to be in one order and at the same time, from Newegg. I don't want to have to wait for them to restock the card. So I think I am going to just go with an equivalent and equally awesome card, by a different manufacturer. I've decided on this MSI card, and I am pretty happy with it.

If I'm lucky I will have everything by next weekend. I'll take pictures then.