KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

I know you literally just said you can't afford a racing wheel yet, but you should seriously consider saving up for a while (took me a few moths to save up - totally worth it) and buy something like the Logitech G27. I got mine from NewEgg for about $250-$300. Expensive, yes, but SO worth it. If you want a fun driving experience, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Very high quality, will last a long time. I've been able to get it working for any game I wanted to get it working for: driving around in GTA 5 and KSP is fantastic (I haven't tried to get it working for Battlefield 4 yet... but I have a feeling it's possible). The additional buttons on the shifter and the wheel mean I can download something like x360ce and have every XBox button mapped to a button on the wheel or shifter. Makes it very convenient for functions like SAS (both in GTA and KSP :P ) and such.

Plus, since it'a pretty well-known system, many games will have native support for it (or tools to help you get it working just how you want it).

Again, I realize it may be out of your price range, but if you save up a while (like I did), you won't regret it!

Edited by Slam_Jones

Cheers, but it's not exactly that I can't afford it, it's just that I don't have enough disposable income to really justify ~£170 on a PC peripheral. After all, my PC was only ~£435 & my monitor about £80. I would be spending my money in other places first, such as a new PC chair or new speakers (I think both were bought in 1997...). I also don't really have the space to do it justice and it would involve re-arranging the room, getting a new desk... it'd end up complicated and expensive.

I think these days you're looking at either XBox360 or a Playstation line controller. PS2 pads work with an adapter, PS3 ones just connect by USB I think. There don't seem to be good gamepads made specifically for PC any more.

I can't see a game having a problem with another pad unless it's been hard-coded to only work with a 360 pad or it has unmodifiable control settings. (Mind you my general lack of faith in developers means I expect both those things have been done!)

I know you literally just said you can't afford a racing wheel yet, but you should seriously consider saving up for a while (took me a few moths to save up - totally worth it) and buy something like the Logitech G27. I got mine from NewEgg for about $250-$300. Expensive, yes, but SO worth it.

No need to spend that much money right away. Something like a Driving Force GT is also a very good wheel, but comes at a much softer price. Some prefer it over the G27. Buying second hand is a good idea too, as many people buy these things, but hardly use them at all.

A good wheel can be had for a moderate price nowadays :) There is always a better option, but you could spend thousands before you run out of upgrades. Just look at the current Fanatec system.

I think these days you're looking at either XBox360 or a Playstation line controller. PS2 pads work with an adapter, PS3 ones just connect by USB I think. There don't seem to be good gamepads made specifically for PC any more.

I can't see a game having a problem with another pad unless it's been hard-coded to only work with a 360 pad or it has unmodifiable control settings. (Mind you my general lack of faith in developers means I expect both those things have been done!)

I've tried my PS3 controller but it's a bugger to set up. Need to install custom drivers and I've heard dodgy things about them, so haven't attempted it yet. I do have a USB adapter for my PS2 controller, but unfortunately the buttons are only seen as binary inputs rather than analogue, so I can't control my throttle properly. Fine in a game like Wreckfest where finesse isn't an issue, but useless for Assetto Corsa. Unfortunately I think you're right and I'll just have to go for the 360 controller. I probably don't even really need to buy one; could just nick an old one off of a mate who no longer uses his 360.

No need to spend that much money right away. Something like a Driving Force GT is also a very good wheel, but comes at a much softer price. Some prefer it over the G27. Buying second hand is a good idea too, as many people buy these things, but hardly use them at all.

A good wheel can be had for a moderate price nowadays :) There is always a better option, but you could spend thousands before you run out of upgrades. Just look at the current Fanatec system.

The Driving Force GT is still £135, so way beyond the ~£20 I want to spend on a simple controller. I do have an ancient (and when I say ancient - it has a picture of Mario Andretti on the box) racing wheel, but it's always been fairly rubbish and the deadzones are ridiculous. I may take it apart one day and see if I can clean it up, but I'm not particularly bothered about getting a wheel at the moment.

Not a huge fan of the Xbox 360 controller, but from what I've read so far that seems to be be the best bet.

Why are you not a fan? I use one for KSP and it is pretty good.

The Driving Force GT is still £135

If you buy it new, maybe. A very good one could be had for less than half if you keep your eyes open. That is still more than 20 pounds, of course.

Then again, the Driving Force GT is hardly the only good wheel out there, so there might be other options :)

I do have a USB adapter for my PS2 controller, but unfortunately the buttons are only seen as binary inputs rather than analogue, so I can't control my throttle properly.
Different adapter maybe? I have one and it picks up the pressure sensitivity just fine, the computer sees each button as both a digital button input and an analogue axis. Mind you I tested on Linux, Windows drivers may differ. (And some games may baulk at a controller with about 20 axes!)

Why are you not a fan? I use one for KSP and it is pretty good.

If you buy it new, maybe. A very good one could be had for less than half if you keep your eyes open. That is still more than 20 pounds, of course.

Then again, the Driving Force GT is hardly the only good wheel out there, so there might be other options :)

Just never like the layout or feel of the Xbox controller. Too bulky for me. Probably because I've always had PlayStations. I suppose I could get used to it.

Different adapter maybe? I have one and it picks up the pressure sensitivity just fine, the computer sees each button as both a digital button input and an analogue axis. Mind you I tested on Linux, Windows drivers may differ. (And some games may baulk at a controller with about 20 axes!)

It was the cheapest adapter I could find, but I'm not sure it would make a difference. I just can't seem to get any program to recognise it as an axis. Although if I remember correctly, my PS3 did recognise it as pressure sensitive.

It's frustrating how many games have terrible controller options. Assetto Corsa's is abysmal, Just Cause 2 just doesn't have any, whilst games like Wreckfest & Euro Truck Simulator 2 let you customise absolutely everything, which is nice.

It's frustrating how many games have terrible controller options. Assetto Corsa's is abysmal

Maybe it is a controller thing, because I am pretty sure I can set about anything and everything. Good thing about the 360 controller is that most games work out of the box with appropriate settings. Gone are the days of needing to configure every game by hand and digging up manuals to find out what button is mapped to what in this specific game.

Mind you that Assetto Corsa can be fiddly because it is so very complete, due to it being (or wanting to be, I have no interest in that discussion) more of a simulator than a game.

Edited by Camacha

Maybe it is a controller thing, because I am pretty sure I can set about anything and everything. Good thing about the 360 controller is that most games work out of the box with appropriate settings. Gone are the days of needing to configure every game by hand and digging up manuals to find out what button is mapped to what in this specific game.

Mind you that Assetto Corsa can be fiddly because it is so very complete, due to it being (or wanting to be, I have no interest in that discussion) more of a simulator than a game.

Yeah you're right, I find it pretty obtuse and it doesn't actually explain what any of the options do. It's not really the lack of features, more how it is presented in a strange set of menus. Doesn't seem to let you use a deadzone either, which is a very odd choice. I tried to configure my ancient wheel and it was just impossible, as it didn't recognise the buttons for some reason.

The ease of the 360 controller is a big draw, and I'll probably just end up going for that. What's annyoing is that I was going to buy it for £20 earlier in the year, but it's now up to £25... I hate buying things knowing I could have got them cheaper.

I'm sure I spent more like £35...then again I bought it in a store not online, so that's probably why.

It also depends on whether you buy the wired, wireless (normal) or wireless PC version.

Hurray, I just noticed DDR3 prices are finally dropping again, and quite a bit too. I guess I will wait it out another month or two, but I can finally get that upgrade without feeling terrible for overpaying.

I have thought about upgrading the whole system instead, but since that would cost me at least close to 1K and the current system is still somewhat nippy I think I will need to sit it out a little longer. Things just have not progressed enough to make it a sound economical decision.

Edited by Camacha

After many years of sterling service, my venerable Intellimouse 1.0a is getting beyond repair...

Any ideas for an apt replacement? looks like nobody's selling them anymore, at least not in my country :(

Requirements:

Reasonable build quality.

Optical.

Wired.

Scroll wheel and side buttons.

No lazors, presets, special drivers, adjustable weights or bling lights.

5 buttons is plenty.

Whatever DPI this one has, it's fine.

Works on a knee.

Designed for normal (my normal, not yours ;)) sized hands, no miniature rodents need apply.

Ambidextrous.

All features available on GNU/Linux & FreeBSD.

Reasonable price, I will NOT pay $80+ for a mouse.

What I want is another just like it... any ideas?

Edited by steve_v

I bought a Logitech M500 to replace an Intellimouse a month ago, solidly built, ticks all the boxes on your list and has the delightful addition of a scroll wheel that can switch between smooth or detented scrolling. Cost about $40 here at a brick and mortar retail store (I needed it quickly), can probably be had for less online.

Hmm, looks okay. I'd really prefer something properly ambidextrous though, i.e. symmetrical. Ideally with the side buttons on either side, but that's no deal breaker.

Fussy fussy, but I've gotten so used to the Intellimouse and I really like that it makes zero difference which hand you use. The shape of the logitech looks awkward for left handed use - this is the primary gripe with just about every mouse I've looked at so far.

Actually, I suspect I had one of those, or something very similar. I almost had myself convinced it was an improvement until the scroll wheel failed... then going back to the Intellimouse felt like the real 'upgrade'.

<searches email archive...>

Not quite, it was a G400. Not the current revision, but note that they're nearly symmetrical. It lasted about a month.

Dunno how keen I am on Logitech stuff after that either. :huh:

Edited by steve_v
Extra words...

Unfortunately I cannot stand wireless mice... Maybe they've improved, but last I checked they were too heavy and introduced too much latency. That and I hate replacing batteries.

Also, regarding the M510: * Requires Logitech® SetPoint™ software (Windows®) or Logitech® Control Center software (Mac OS® X)

I use neither of those operating systems.

Additional requirement: All features available on GNU/Linux & FreeBSD. ;)

Grrr. Gaming, contours, wireless, special software, switchable functions... Bah, why does nobody make an ordinary mouse anymore?

Edited by steve_v

Yeah, I noticed it's hard to find a straightforward, quality, wired mouse nowadays. I currently have Logitech's M100 which ticks two of those boxes, but it's no more than average quality. (And it only has three buttons).

I've gotten pretty used to those nice, big, tap-able side buttons...

Hmm, might be time to suck it up and find some new-old stock on ebay... shipping to this corner of the planet though. :(

Who else besides Logitech makes a decent mouse these days?

Edited by steve_v

Too expensive, too many pointless features (multi coloured lights? who wants that?), special software, presets etc. I'm after a mouse, not a flying saucer. That thing has more processing power than some PCs.

Too expensive, too many pointless features (multi coloured lights? who wants that?), special software, presets etc. I'm after a mouse, not a flying saucer. That thing has more processing power than some PCs.

Well, you can complain about not having or finding a mouse, or ignore the blinking lights and be happy. None of the reasons you list is a reason the thing would not do the job. Features you do not use are not in your way, special software is generally optional, as are presets, and processing power is not going to hurt you either. What will be there is a mouse with a reliable, high-end sensor that will get your work done.

It sounds a bit like you are looking for trouble, to be honest :) So, to get a constructive dialogue going again - what is your budget?