How to connect two planes in SPH (merge)

So i am playing on Ps4 and i built a glider, and i grabbed a stock plane so it can launch my glider, i merged the stock plane with my glider, but i can't put the strut on the stock plane, it glows red, 

Thank you! 

Spoiler

When you merge a craft to an existing craft, only the root part of the second craft can attach to the first. In you case, you will probably want to attach something like a cubic octagonal strut on the glider and make it the root part (the re-root tool is near the top left of your screen). Now when you merge the glider to the plane, you can attach one of the free nodes on the cubic octagonal strut to the plane. You'll probably want to attach the glider to decoupler on the plane so you can separate the two. Once the two crafts are attached, you can then use the offset tool (also on the top left) to move the glider where you want it. Attach a strut between the glider and plane if you want it to look like a tow cable.

As @Echo__3 said, the root part of the 'merged' craft is the only part which can connect to the other craft.  So you will need to become familiar with the Re-Root tool.

I have found that joining two crafts via Radial attachment is more difficult than Axial attachment.  Unfortunately when trying to merge a plane to another plane, radial attachment is usually the method that you want.  It's difficult, but absolutely possible.

One thing to consider is that at some point you will (probably) want to separate the two vessels.  That normally involves using docking ports or decouplers.  Setting the Root part to be a decoupler or docking port causes additional frustration.  Again, it is possible!

If you have additional questions, come back here with them.  Screenshots showing the particular difficulty you are having will greatly help the community to diagnose the issue and provide assistance.  

Again, if you're persistent, you can accomplish your goal.  If I can do it, you can!  (I'm not that good with computers...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.