I've got the Slowbies!

KSP has been getting slower and slower, usually when loading or building ship with more than 200 parts.

The thing that gets me is no resources are maxed out, or even close to being maxed out.

CPU(i7-10875h) stays below 50

memory(32GB) hovers between 50 and on rare occasions, 95

GPU(2060RTX 6GB) is between 20 and 60%

DIsk(1TB NVME) usage never goes above 5

I'm thinking the issue is the mods somehow. Compatibility is showing no problems, but there might be something underneath that I have no idea on how to check for since I've just recently started playing this AmAzing game. What do I need to post for y'all to help me with understanding the slowdown?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by KSPMoose
accidentally pushed enter

11 minutes ago, KSPMoose said:

KSP has been getting slower and slower, usually when loading or building ship with more than 200 parts.

The thing that gets me is no resources are maxed out, or even close to being maxed out.

memory(32GB) hovers between 50 and on rare occasions, 95

GPU(2060RTX 6GB) is between 20 and 60%

DIsk(1TB NVME) usage never goes above 5

I'm thinking the issue is the mods somehow. Compatibility is showing no problems, but there might be something underneath that I have no idea on how to check for since I've just recently started playing this AmAzing game. What do I need to post for y'all to help me with understanding the slowdown?

Thanks in advance for any help!

First, I'd suggest installing the KSP Community Fixes mod, it can help

Then, you can post a link to your log file (see my sig for info on that) so someone can look to see what might be going on.

How did you install your mods?

2 hours ago, KSPMoose said:

It might  just be a limitation of the Unity engine as well. The greater the part count the more things that it has to render and keep spacialy together. You see a whole complete craft when you are done but the engine is rendering every single part and making sure they stay in place, all at the same time. In standard games when you see ships they are all one mesh, but here where you are building it yourself it is much more complex, That is why Minecraft uses mostly cubes as they are one of the simplest things to render.

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

First, I'd suggest installing the KSP Community Fixes mod, it can help

Then, you can post a link to your log file (see my sig for info on that) so someone can look to see what might be going on.

How did you install your mods?

Installing majority using CKAN. Manually installed a few, exactly to their directions. Com Fix has been installed. Here are both log files. I don't know if the "prev" one would be helpful but it's here.

Player: https://ln5.sync.com/dl/27dc4b1b0/pxketzj6-kc2rbpg9-aic6nc5d-29fak395

Player-Prev:  https://ln5.sync.com/dl/9f8a66b50/xnxhrwk8-ma52uvek-kdvvif5t-4wvacer8

3 hours ago, KSPMoose said:

Installing majority using CKAN. Manually installed a few, exactly to their directions. Com Fix has been installed. Here are both log files. I don't know if the "prev" one would be helpful but it's here.

Player: https://ln5.sync.com/dl/27dc4b1b0/pxketzj6-kc2rbpg9-aic6nc5d-29fak395

Player-Prev:  https://ln5.sync.com/dl/9f8a66b50/xnxhrwk8-ma52uvek-kdvvif5t-4wvacer8

Ummm, I think  your problem is mod overload

I lost count, but it looks like you have at least 320 mod DLLs, and at least175 mods, and since I don't know your system specs, it's somewhat hard to have an idea what might be the issue, other than too many mods, not enough memory and too many parts on the vessel.

Other than that, nothing really stood out, there are a number of exceptions, but they don't appear to be too bad

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, I think  your problem is mod overload

I lost count, but it looks like you have at least 320 mod DLLs, and at least175 mods, and since I don't know your system specs, it's somewhat hard to have an idea what might be the issue, other than too many mods, not enough memory and too many parts on the vessel.

Other than that, nothing really stood out, there are a number of exceptions, but they don't appear to be too bad

I was worried about that. Just so many good things!

Specs are as follows

i7-10875h

RTX 2060 6GB

32GB DDR4 3200

1TB WD Black NVMe SN750

512GB Samsung NVMe PM981a

Also doesn't seem to matter what the graphic settings are, it's just not using the available resources. I'm like this IRL too, pack too much, carry too much around, always prepared for anything. XD

Is there anything in particular that stands out as slowing things down or kinks up the sim?  Also, thank you for going through that log, I know it was a quite a long one.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:40 PM, KSPMoose said:

KSP isn't written to be heavily multithreaded so most of your CPU might be idle while one core is busy with KSP. Look at the per-core load and you might see one that's closer to 100%.

Edited by DeadJohn

20 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

KSP isn't written to be heavily multithreaded so most of your CPU might be idle while one core is busy with KSP. Look at the per-core load and you might see one that's closer to 100%.

Actually,  it will spread it through all the cores.  So, if you have, for example, 8 cores, some will be high, some will be low, you need to look at all of them to get an idea of how busy it is

1 hour ago, KSPMoose said:

I was worried about that. Just so many good things!

Specs are as follows

i7-10875h

RTX 2060 6GB

32GB DDR4 3200

1TB WD Black NVMe SN750

512GB Samsung NVMe PM981a

Also doesn't seem to matter what the graphic settings are, it's just not using the available resources. I'm like this IRL too, pack too much, carry too much around, always prepared for anything. XD

Is there anything in particular that stands out as slowing things down or kinks up the sim?  Also, thank you for going through that log, I know it was a quite a long one.

I know the feeling.  I just like to follow a standard of, if I am not actually going to use a certain mod, or parts, then I have no business having it on my system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.