kats: kerbal aeronautical technology shuttle, unflown concept shuttles and other various shuttle things

chaos113

Looking great. 

You may not be sparing us from the JPL's cursed abomination, but may be in the future this bad boy could get some love?

unknown.png

Its basically derivative of the JPL variant, but less cursed lol. 

6 hours ago, G'th said:

Looking great. 

You may not be sparing us from the JPL's cursed abomination, but may be in the future this bad boy could get some love?

unknown.png

Its basically derivative of the JPL variant, but less cursed lol. 

I like both personally. The JPL proposal has this weird 60's-80's scifi feel to it, and the one above looks almost modular.

Besides we all know SERV and MURP is the real horror story. And while I love the look, mechanically Triamese makes me violently uncomfortable (apologies to Triamese fans).

Edited by Blufor878

12 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

I like both personally. The JPL proposal has this weird 60's-80's scifi feel to it, and the one above looks almost modular.

Besides we all know SERV and MURP is the real horror story. And while I love the look, mechanically Triamese makes me violently uncomfortable (apologies to Triamese fans).

Serv and murp may be added latet along with the jpl proposal but for right now its just shuttle 2 and dc3

On 10/25/2022 at 8:55 AM, Blufor878 said:

Cool! Was shuttle 2 actually that large?

I wouldn't know but I raised the suggestion to have this Shuttle II be larger (approximately 5m for the body, not the original 3.75m) so it stands in the same size class as Tundra Exploration's Starship and Angel-125's Mk33. As a spaceplane junkie, this makes this mod more interesting to -me- because of the obvious reason that stock Mk3, SOCK and other cargo spaceplane mods will hold 2.5m cargo at best. "Just use those then" and "It might appeal more to upscale players and RSS players if it's bigger" were my thoughts...and this size allows all the engines to be 1.25m and 0.625m, not forcing them to be 0.9375m and 0.4??m with size adapter variants.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, chaos113 said:

These are the engines for the craft currently made, a sl variation, a vac variation, and a multimode variation unknown.png

Actually, one engine is shown twice: The STME is dual mode: Short-nozzle SL optimized; Long-nozzle Vac optimized. The other is the STBE. No extra features there. The designs have changed since, and are still bound to change.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Actually the JSC Shuttle II was likely about the same size as the original Orbiter; it came in at around 5 tons lighter in empty mass, and thats including the empty wingboard tanks.  While one could theorize they'd build it out of lighter materials (and they seem to have, as they use RCC over more of the orbiter), I doubt that would translate into a significantly larger vehicle. 

But that being said, the difference in sizes we'd see in KSP probably aren't going to be that big, so its probably fine.  

12 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Pretty.

Can we please have the extended docking port as just an extending node, so we can place a variety of docking ports on the end? That will maximize compatibility with other mods.

Already planned, the bay will be empty but have a telescopic tube that will be 1.25 at the end but have an end varient for 0.975m like benjees cads docking ports 

When not using docking, the bay could be used for smallsats or science payloads

3 hours ago, Seadragon420 said:

github/otherrepo/spacedock/curse link?

this is no where close to being released, the modeles arnt even textured *and likely wont be for a while as jade is focusing on their own stuff now* so yeah we are stuck for now 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 4:38 PM, chaos113 said:

this is no where close to being released, the models aren't even textured *and likely wont be for a while as jade is focusing on their own stuff now* so yeah we are stuck for now (corrected spelling mistakes)

Ok... Well maybe rip b e n j e e t e x t u r e s if the license allows it for now?...

On 11/8/2022 at 2:03 AM, Seadragon420 said:

Ok... Well maybe rip b e n j e e t e x t u r e s if the license allows it for now?...

A while ago, benjee said this

"You might struggle to directly reuse the textures on another model but you are welcome to use them how you like" 

so that allows stuff be done faster

• 4 weeks later...

This ball is rolling again. Test models for the following are in-game and working well:

• CERV (two structural variants with different roles)
  • RL-10 derived engine (normal and abort mode versions. Each can run on Mono or LFO)

Don't expect benjee10's level of quality, but do expect great quality anyway, and quite a few gameplay features.

Insert "Pre-Alpha Footage" watermark here. :P Gentle notice to those who don't know yet: I don't make IVA.

screenshot143.png screenshot146.png screenshot148.png

• 2 weeks later...

The CERV mount, decoupler, and adapters to rocket diameters. The odd ones are BDB. The adapters themselves are hollow-ish and can be used as a service bay. The 6-way dividing walls are optional.

In case it hasn't already been made clear, CERV and Shuttle II on the whole are being aimed (by me personally) at being in the same size class as Tundra Exploration/ Starship Expansion and Mk-33, so the engines are proper sizes (0.625m, 1.25m and not in-between) and to make more sense when used in 2.7x scale or real scale, and so Shuttle II can hold 3.75m payloads. The other mods hold 2.5m, if even so much. Another reason for the up-sizing is that, unless I'm mistaken, Shuttle II lacks in fuel tank volume and has no SRBs yet it's supposed to outperform Shuttle.

If by chance folks would rather everything be smaller and "SOCK-compatible" now is the time to gather round, cast a poll and let me know.

FcTlDSo.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.