[1.12.x] Artemis Construction Kit | Stockalike Orion & SLS | v1.4.0 | (Lockheed lander!)

benjee10

When the SLS update comes out, I'm assuming that will replace the redirect parts.   Will you update SOCK to use the new RS-25 engines/how will the compatibility between the two mods work?

AMAZING work BTW,  I don't think I have ever been so impressed with a mod before.

Edited by Tundra

Artemis Construction Kit | Update 1

screenshot2677.png

(screenshot by @Jay The Amazing Toaster)

As some of you may know, @DylanSemrau was working on an SLS core stage mod a little while ago and very kindly agreed to allow me to finish it and include it in this mod. About 90% of the work is his, I just finished it up and added the engine section!

SLS comes in four different colour variants, Light Orange, Dark Orange, White and Delta Blue. The raceway is separately switchable for even more customisation and the engine section/boat tail can be switched the foil-covered green run test version. 

screenshot93.png

This update also includes:

• ICPS & RL10 engine from Bluedog Design Bureau courtesy of @CobaltWolf and @Zorg
  • RS-25 Engine with SLS-type shroud from Rocket Motor Menagerie by @EStreetRockets
  • 5 segment solid rocket booster from Photon Corp by @DylanSemrau

Along with some balance changes for Orion. 

So you now have everything you need to recreate the Artemis I mission in one place! Thanks to some ModuleManager trickery you can install the full versions of the included mods with no ill effects, even on craft that are in flight. This means you can safely remove the ICPS folder from Benjee10_Orion if you have BDB installed for example, or RMM or Photon Corp. 

You can get the update now on SpaceDock, GitHub and CKAN

3 hours ago, benjee10 said:

screenshot2677.png

As some of you may know, @DylanSemrau was working on an SLS core stage mod a little while ago and very kindly agreed to allow me to finish it and include it in this mod. About 90% of the work is his, I just finished it up and added the engine section!

SLS comes in four different colour variants, Light Orange, Dark Orange, White and Delta Blue. The raceway is separately switchable for even more customisation and the engine section/boat tail can be switched the foil-covered green run test version. 

screenshot93.png

• ICPS & RL10 engine from Bluedog Design Bureau courtesy of @CobaltWolf and @Zorg
  • RS-25 Engine with SLS-type shroud from Rocket Motor Menagerie by @EStreetRockets

So you now have everything you need to recreate the Artemis I mission in one place! Thanks to some ModuleManager trickery you can install the full versions of the included mods with no ill effects, even on craft that are in flight. This means you can safely remove the ICPS folder from Benjee10_Orion if you have BDB installed for example, or RMM or Photon Corp. 

very cool! this means i can release those eus textures now, github should go up soon and ill work on spacedock

3 hours ago, benjee10 said:

screenshot2677.png

screenshot93.png

That looks amazing! Will I need to get rid of redirect, or is the new update able to work alongside it?

3 hours ago, Tundra said:

When the SLS update comes out, I'm assuming that will replace the redirect parts.   Will you update SOCK to use the new RS-25 engines/how will the compatibility between the two mods work?

AMAZING work BTW,  I don't think I have ever been so impressed with a mod before.

There actually isn't a lot of commonality between the Shuttle ET & ET derived tanks and the SLS core stage tank, so this won't work as a drop-in replacement for reDIRECT. I am not planning on updating/maintaining reDIRECT any longer but I do know certain people may have a viable replacement in the works, so keep an eye out for that. 

1 hour ago, DJ Reonic said:

@benjee10The craft file indicates there is a missing SRB decoupler.

EDIT: Based on the part cfg, it appears there should be a decoupler in Photon Corp, but there is not. I'm assuming some sort of update is incoming.

I can't reproduce this. Checking the release and everything is as it should be - the part is called SRB Radially Attached Separator System.' I would suggest a clean reinstall. 

35 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Found a bug: no SRB sound and exhaust. Deleting Restock.cfg fixes this. I'm using the 1.1.0 release from Github.

Interestingly, I use Restock. Some conflict with RealPlume, maybe?

Hmm, I'm guessing RealPlume is the culprit here. I have a patch that replaced the SRB FX with the restock FX if restock is installed, but I guess RealPlume comes in and strips that out but isn't configured to replace it. Will disable the patch if RealPlume is detected, hopefully that fixes it. 

6 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

That looks amazing! Will I need to get rid of redirect, or is the new update able to work alongside it?

There should be no conflict with reDIRECT as these are entirely new parts. 

2 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

There actually isn't a lot of commonality between the Shuttle ET & ET derived tanks and the SLS core stage tank, so this won't work as a drop-in replacement for reDIRECT. I am not planning on updating/maintaining reDIRECT any longer but I do know certain people may have a viable replacement in the works, so keep an eye out for that. 

I can't reproduce this. Checking the release and everything is as it should be - the part is called SRB Radially Attached Separator System.' I would suggest a clean reinstall. 

Hmm, I'm guessing RealPlume is the culprit here. I have a patch that replaced the SRB FX with the restock FX if restock is installed, but I guess RealPlume comes in and strips that out but isn't configured to replace it. Will disable the patch if RealPlume is detected, hopefully that fixes it. 

That is good to know. We really appreciate the effort you guys put into these mods!

50 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Speaking of ReDIRECT: what is safe to delete and what isn't if I want to retain only SOCK-specific parts (ET and SRB parts), at least until replacement comes in?

Also, some notes after flying Artemis 1 in KSRSS-Reborn (I've used included craft file):

- Orion-IPCS stack is somewhat too heavy for it (KSRSS, not SLS), IMO. IPCS alone can't perform TLI even with most of monoprop and ablator unloaded in VAB - you need extra push from Orion itself.

- Had a close call with aforementioned Orion when returning to Earth - I had barely enough monoprop for the final correction burn (LF and Ox were used for orbital insertion and return burn).

- Despite being all red, Orion handles reentry quite well with 540 units of ablator (it ate up all of it, though). 

So it appears that when load or revert to VAB, the Core stage options for different colors/skins isn't there

but do show on a fresh new core stage

Appears that it doesn't even seem to save skins chosen between VAB and Launch Pad (Katniss LC-39B)

Like chose white with grey raceway and it shows on Launch pad Orange

Edited by Adam-Kerman

26 minutes ago, obnox twin said:

I can't find the 5 segment booster and RL-25 engine

Unless its detected the BDB and photon corp mods.

If you have BDB and PhotonCorp installed, The parts won’t show up because the parts getting added are just copied from BDB and PhotonCorp. The RL 20 B2 engine from BDB, the Delta Cryogenic Second Stage(the 3.125m one) from BDB, and the SRB-5 booster from PhotonCorp are the parts you need

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

IPCS alone can't perform TLI

May I ask how closely you're trying to follow the Artemis flight plan? In this case it makes a huge amount of difference. With all my specific settings and launch configuration, my initial orbit from just the core is about 1300km x 125km. The launch window should position your Pe at your TLI ejection point. The ICPS can be fired at Ap to raise your Pe if needed, or to adjust your Pe's position (radial component). For me then, the ICPS has ~1300 m/s, and a maneuver at Pe to raise my Ap to 90Mkm costs about 1000 m/s.

Off work, finally got to put the new parts to the test. Love everything so far. Can confirm the sound and plume bug found by @biohazard15, but I have redirect installed as well (along with a bunch of other SRB's I can use as well), so I can just use the SRB's from those for the time being. Was able to find the SRB decoupler from Photon though, so we're good on that front (at least for my install).

Also I think there might be a minor conflict with SimpleRepaint, but it doesn't cause any noticeable issues as far as I can tell other then a warning from B9PartsSwitch when first starting the game on the loading screen. The new skins look awesome!

Edit: I think I stand corrected. I think the conflict is with the existing ICPS found in BDB, but it really doesn't seem to cause any problems other than the aforementioned warning, and having duplicates of part switch options. Issok.

Edited by Blufor878