[1.12.x] Artemis Construction Kit | Stockalike Orion & SLS | v1.4.0 | (Lockheed lander!)

benjee10

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

7 days after the last major update, we get another one? Damn dude. Given it's only a few parts, but still. That's fast. 

What else you got in store for us? 

Extended EUS? 

20141119_planetary-concepts.png

I know this is Early SLS which isn't the same as the SLS now, but it would be nice to have a higher performance EUS if you would consider adding it. 

Also, side note: is it just me or are those J-2X's on the EEUS (Extended-EUS)? 

Any word on Back and White Textures for SLS?  @benjee10 

A small QoL request: can you make Orion boost protective cover "transparent", like Apollo LES in BDB? If Orion capsule is the root part (as it should be), this will make possible to move the whole craft without having to remove LES assembly, or rerooting, or using any other workaround.

5 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

A small QoL request: can you make Orion boost protective cover "transparent", like Apollo LES in BDB? If Orion capsule is the root part (as it should be), this will make possible to move the whole craft without having to remove LES assembly, or rerooting, or using any other workaround.

Hi,
Hold Shift and click any part - so You can move whole stack. No need to root or re-root.

27 minutes ago, dzin said:

Hi,
Hold Shift and click any part - so You can move whole stack. No need to root or re-root.

Damn,

I was today years old when I've learned of this feature, LOL.

However, this does not solve another problem: you are unable to access the capsule PAW in VAB (to edit inventory, for example). BDB Apollo does allow this.

23 hours ago, Jim123 said:

Any word on Back and White Textures for SLS?  @benjee10 

Unfortunately the way the textures are set up does not allow it. I have seen some people getting creative with conformal decals and getting nice results from that though!

14 hours ago, Insomniac3011 said:

Will you by any chance be making craft files for realism overhaul???  Would be awesome to use this there.

As far as I know there aren't any realism overhaul configs for this mod yet. 

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

I would like to do this (also for the Universal Stage Adapter) but unfortunately the stock 'transparent on mouseover' functionality appears to be broken. I spent a good few hours experimenting and it appears the module doesn't work unless the part is the first one placed (not even just the root part, literally the first part added in the VAB). It appears to be the case with stock parts too in 1.12.3.  Not sure if there is another way of doing this. 

12 hours ago, benjee10 said:

I would like to do this (also for the Universal Stage Adapter) but unfortunately the stock 'transparent on mouseover' functionality appears to be broken. I spent a good few hours experimenting and it appears the module doesn't work unless the part is the first one placed (not even just the root part, literally the first part added in the VAB). It appears to be the case with stock parts too in 1.12.3.  Not sure if there is another way of doing this. 

16 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Damn,

I was today years old when I've learned of this feature, LOL.

However, this does not solve another problem: you are unable to access the capsule PAW in VAB (to edit inventory, for example). BDB Apollo does allow this.

Perhaps whats being referred to here by "transparency" is that the boost protective cover has no collider over most it (just the tower only). Allows users to click through the BPC onto the capsule. There is no actual transparency on mousover functionality on the Apollo LES.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@benjee10 Found a bug. The top node on the new BOLE boosters stays at the 1 segment position no matter what length. 

Also, I thought BOLE was carbon composite black?

This is a comparability issue with animated attachment, for now you will need to remove animated attachment for the nodes to move correctly. I will try to patch it.

No, BOLE will be painted white - the renders with it black are showing a ‘cutaway view’ to highlight the use of composites.

42 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Perhaps whats being referred to here by "transparency" is that the boost protective cover has no collider over most it (just the tower only). Allows users to click through the BPC onto the capsule. There is no actual transparency on mousover functionality on the Apollo LES.

That could be it. I can certainly do that. 

8 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

@benjee10Is there any chance at all you could make a foam-covered nosecone and endcap for the SLS core? Then we can use it as an STS external tank. It's weird using redirect because the artstyles clash.

SLS core tank is too large for STS. And like @Jacktical said, @Invaderchaos is doing the ORANGES mod, alongside @EStreetRockets. The mod isn't released yet, so we'll have to wait a little bit. 

14 hours ago, GoldForest said:

SLS core tank is too large for STS. And like @Jacktical said, @Invaderchaos is doing the ORANGES mod, alongside @EStreetRockets. The mod isn't released yet, so we'll have to wait a little bit. 

Do you know if there's a dev thread? Or any images of the ORANGES parts?

Some thoughts about MPLL:

This thing is quite hard to use if you have LH2 boiloff enabled (with CryoTanks). Without cooling, you'll probably make it to the Moon surface, but any prolonged stay and return is questionable. To insulate the tank, you'll need 1.95 Ec per second - something that can be provided only by multiple RTGs or fuel cells. Both options take extra mass, and fuel cells consume your fuel. On the top of that, dV may be a problem with 2.7x Moon in KSRSS Reborn.

One interesting way to solve this is to switch to methalox by using methalox RL10s from BDB (found in Extras). These actually provide extra dV, and boiloff is much easier to manage (you need only 0.37 Ec, which can be provided by a single RTG).

Also, a request if I may: engine mount with 1 and 2 engine nodes. This thing makes a nice upper stage when used with Orion service module adapter, but 4 engines is kinda overkill, especially for short tank.

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

What is MPLL? Asking for a friend named Google who also does not know.

Mars-Precursor Lunar Lander, aka Lockheed Martin Lunar Lander, currently in beta as "HLS" (no idea what does that mean):

44167182465_c9afb39442_b_d.jpg

Can be found on Github (you have to download the repository, just like you do with BDB dev versions). Use tag "HLS" to search for new parts. Unfortunately, Benjee's version doesn't have the elevator - it has a loooooong ladder instead (I guess it has something to do with KSP physics).