Maneuver Node Easy Mode

The maneuver node right now is really good but for new players it can get really hard, I know someone who just got the game but is trying to learn the maneuver nodes so I thought why don't you add a easy and advanced mode. The easy mode can create the maneuvers for you. The advanced mode can just be the one that's already in the first KSP.

How would you set up telling the game what the player wants to do with any given node? That menu system would get crazy pretty quick.

And that's assuming they could come up with mechanisms to enact every possible "I want to do this thing" as a maneuver node, or set of maneuver nodes, in programming without weird edge case mistakes that end up destroying your ship.

Edited by Superfluous J

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Basically a stock mechjeb maneuver menu?  It would  highly impact the learning aspect.  Better as a mod. I'd rather see scripting along the lines of kos in stock to enhance the learning aspect.

No, not really. You will still need to know which action to take with MJ. The only real differences between the stock maneuver node maker and MJ's maneuver node maker are;

With stock you can combine the different axis into a single node, MJ can't do that. MJ you can only do one axis at a time.

With MJ you can type the exact altitude you want, stock you're stuck using those stupid sliders or increase/decrease velocity buttons.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

You will still need to know which action to take with MJ

You tell MJ to take you to the planet you want instead of figuring out how your vessel needs to change its trajectory in order to stage an encounter. You only need to know what action to take with MJ, you do not need to understand what it's doing at all though, and that's critical in understanding how stuff moves in space.

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

No, not really. You will still need to know which action to take with MJ. The only real differences between the stock maneuver node maker and MJ's maneuver node maker are;

With stock you can combine the different axis into a single node, MJ can't do that. MJ you can only do one axis at a time.

With MJ you can type the exact altitude you want, stock you're stuck using those stupid sliders or increase/decrease velocity buttons.

I see what you are saying, I was picturing the OP meant more like "circularize", "match planes" level of beginner maneuvernode assistance 

In the same vein, I don't think many critics of the stock interface make full use of the mapview node editor in the lower left.  If you set the slider scale there to the lowest setting and use tiny mouse wheel tweaks while hovering over the axis or central time widgets one can get very fine control over a node

Edited by darthgently

I pretty much completely forget about this. It feels like a so fresh addition, that I often catch myself at "oh yeah, it exists" moment. KSP2 seems to have it from the start, and always active (unless it's only a SAS direction controller)

I'm really hoping that KSP2 allows the user more control over the skin and style of the UI.  For me, the biggest deal is the overly thick borders, margins, padding etc that take up way too much real estate on the screen. 

Gimme some space, man!

Edited by darthgently

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

I see what you are saying, I was picturing the OP meant more like "circularize", "match planes" level of beginner maneuvernode assistance

Yeah, I was thinking of the manual functions for MJ. Not the whole automation suite for the mod.

4 hours ago, darthgently said:

I don't think many critics of the stock interface make full use of the mapview node editor in the lower left.  If you set the slider scale there to the lowest setting and use tiny mouse wheel tweaks while hovering over the axis or central time widgets one can get very fine control over a node

The problem with the maneuver tweaker is it's hidden. You have to know it's there and available to use. Another problem is you lose access to it when the node you're working with decides to close when you jump to the target you want. These are the primary reasons why I hate the stock solutions to make maneuver nodes.

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

I'm really hoping that KSP2 allows the user more control over the skin and style of the UI.  For me, the biggest deal is the overly thick borders, margins, padding etc that take up way too much real estate on the screen. 

Gimme some space, man!

Either way it's at least 500% more efficient than whatever KSP 1 had going on.

14 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Yeah, I was thinking of the manual functions for MJ. Not the whole automation suite for the mod.

The problem with the maneuver tweaker is it's hidden. You have to know it's there and available to use. Another problem is you lose access to it when the node you're working with decides to close when you jump to the target you want. These are the primary reasons why I hate the stock solutions to make maneuver nodes.

Yes, there are serious issues with the maneuver tweaker. The way it collapses when it even imagines losing focus drives me nuts