Jump to content

KSP2 Artemis Recreation


Ghostii_Space
 Share

Recommended Posts

The SRB's look a little too smooth and featureless compared to the kerbal aesthetic I know and love.  I hope placeable flags will make a comeback in KSP2 at least.

It's great to see recent extended gameplay footage though.

2 hours ago, Deadmeat24 said:

A little concerned by the low frame rate during launch...

I'm hoping it's just the video framerate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking amazing y'all. :D Love all the detail around the launch tower. I personally like seeing the rocket lit on the pad and the plumes. Also really liking the 'planetshine', scatter, skybox and some of the other visual effects. The Mun looks great! I guess we'd seen the booster landing zones before but nice to see them lit now. I wonder how stage recovery might work considering we probably still can't fly two vessels at once? Hmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Nate SimpsonThis looks really cool of course, but I don’t really like the amount of stars. We all already know that space is pitch black most of the time, but the lack of stars also looks better in my opinion. It makes a nice contrast and also serves as a reminder that space is extremely hostile.

BTW the frame rate on the launchpad is a little concerning. You guys working on that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

BTW the frame rate on the launchpad is a little concerning. You guys working on that?

You shouldn't worry, in development, optimization happens extremely late in development, and the footage we're shown is probably of a version that's months old, because older versions tend to be more stable with fewer bugs; better for showing.

They'd never release the game in such a state, even if it's stable 30 fps, it'd just get flooded with bad reviews.

Edited by Thundy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

BTW the frame rate on the launchpad is a little concerning. You guys working on that?

You might not have intended it but this sounded like something my boss would ask me, and seems pretty entitled to say to anyone that you're not actively giving money to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Turtlegirl1209 said:

At twenty seconds into the video, you can see in the background lit-up circular areas, does anyone have any idea what these may be?

Those are booster recovery pads (because they don’t have the facilities of launch pads but don’t seem to serve any other purpose) which indicates that precise landing and recoverable rockets will probably be a thing in KSP 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow!  This is amazing!  :D    I can't wait to be able to play this, but if you need more time to develop this I'd be happy to wait.  Make the game as amazing and high quality as possible.   I know a lot of people are upset that it keeps being delayed, but once the game actually releases and the gameplay is through the roof I know that people will be grateful you took some extra time to make the best game ever!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that I didn't expect.

With that said, I totally expected SLS yet another delay. And while there's indeed no shame in reverting to VAB, it's easier when it takes few seconds instead of few days, innit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are the engines base mammoth and clydesdale or were they variants made specifically to mimmick sls? The texture looks really good but think the older mammoth design with the black just adds a lot of contrast and the Clydesdale could go with some more contrast as well (maybe just use the design of the sls rocket boosters?), but still very cool and good looking

Edited by Strawberry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Are the engines base mammoth and clydesdale or were they variants made specifically to mimmick sls? The texture looks really good but think the older mammoth design with the black just adds a lot of contrast and the Clydesdale could go with some more contrast as well (maybe just use the design of the sls rocket boosters?), but still very cool and good looking

Remember, things can be painted, and I think these parts got painted all white. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like video confirms that the red/blue edges of the star is a chromatic aberration effect and not a binary star.  Some people have suggested that Debdeb may be a close  binary star that looks like a single light source based on this effect, but I do not think this is the case:

  1. We know that in KSP1 the Kerbol system only has one star
  2. The KSP2 team has stated a few times that the Kerbol system will be largely unchanged between games
  3. The orange/blue effect is present in this footage which we know is of the Kerbol star due to Kerbin and the Mun being unambiguously present in the same camera sweep.

Therefore the orange/blue effect is a chromatic aberration graphics effect and not evidence of a binary star.

0DlHljw.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

The orange tanks are definitely painted, just wish there's still some contrasting colors in there instead of all parts being one color, blank variants and variants that have multiple colors I think would help a lot visually

What I meant was that the Mammoth engine has multiple colors (primary color, secondary color, highlight color, etc) and on this craft ass of those colors were assigned as “white”. At least I hope that is the case

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

We all already know that space is pitch black most of the time, but the lack of stars also looks better in my opinion.

Ummm, no.

Quote

While two-thirds of the crew were on the lunar surface, the Apollo 15 command module stayed in orbit around the Moon. While on the dark far side of the Moon, Al Worden declared from the command module that the sky was “awash with stars.”

Can You See Stars In Space? Why Can't You See Them In Space Pictures? (scienceabc.com)

Can You See Stars in Space? (nightskypix.com)

Why are there no stars in most space images? | The Planetary Society

 

... ... ...

 

Anyone else notice there's a moat around KSC?  (Or is that a nearby 'something else'?)

See vid at 0:20-25

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

We all already know that space is pitch black most of the time

Maybe you live in the city where the lights are able to block out the stars at night?

City lights even from within a suburb can be enough to do that to some degree.

Go out into the country away from the city on a clear night. Its a different experience

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Maybe you live in the city where the lights are able to block out the stars at night?

City lights even from within a suburb can be enough to do that to some degree.

Go out into the country away from the city on a clear night. Its a different experience

There is a strong misperception that stars cannot be seen from space due to the exposure settings used by cameras.  That's among people who've only looked at pictures of stuff.  People who've actually been to space report the stars as breathtaking; the articles I link above explain.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, poopslayer78 said:

It looks like video confirms that the red/blue edges of the star is a chromatic aberration effect and not a binary star.  Some people have suggested that Debdeb may be a close  binary star that looks like a single light source based on this effect, but I do not think this is the case:

  1. We know that in KSP1 the Kerbol system only has one star
  2. The KSP2 team has stated a few times that the Kerbol system will be largely unchanged between games
  3. The orange/blue effect is present in this footage which we know is of the Kerbol star due to Kerbin and the Mun being unambiguously present in the same camera sweep.

Therefore the orange/blue effect is a chromatic aberration graphics effect and not evidence of a binary star.

0DlHljw.jpg

DebDeb could still be binary, correct?  Kerbol (the star) is, by cannon, a single star.

However - as I re-read your post, you're saying the chroma effect is why people are saying DebDeb is a close binary; in that case, yeah, I don't think the chroma is good evidence for that... but I'm still hoping that DebDeb is binary.  If for no other reason than it's cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...