Well if KSP2 is as extensible as KSP1, someone, somewhere will discover a function that isn't readily available in the release of KSP2 and they will write a mod that provides that function. In that way I think it will be similar to what people are doing now. 

My main mods are contract packs. It here is no built in mission making functions (or it is too limited), then I hope someone creates something akin to Contract Configurator to provide that capability. 

Like usual, my number 1 want for "vanilla mod support" is the functionality of ModuleManager to be implemented in the game without needing to install any mods, which would greatly ease me doing the thing I like doing the most, namely tweaking config files to my liking.
It would also make mod inter-compatibility patches much easier to implement, since you wouldn't have to over-write any of a given mod's config files.

For the first wave of high-quality mods, I expect to see "Far Future" and missing "Near Future" technologies, historical parts, FTL travel, and cosmetic part/decal/painting/material mods. Once the hype dust has settled and modders are more comfortable working within the limitations of KSP2 and whatever they use to mod it, I think we'll start to see planet packs, large community tech trees, fun mods like BDArmory, boat parts, and other niche part sets. For later modding, I could see further graphical mods, physics overhauls, community part and planet packs, and game overhauls like Realistic Solar System and Realism Overhaul. However, fan favorites (like RSS/RO, BDA, MechJeb, etc.) may show up sooner than I expect. 

I don't know who makes mods and if they're still around, but a fresh set of eager modders never really hurt anything if the old guard are long gone.

Just my opinion from my general idea of how long things take to develop and refine. It does depend on how the KSP2 devs have approached modding as well, so we can only wait and see.

Edited by Domonian

5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

How do you know so certainly what the modding scene will be like?

Based on the modding scene of every other sequel I have ever seen.

The fact that the modding is going to Lua based alone means no one is going to bother "porting" mods. Re-creating, sure. Porting, no.

20 minutes ago, MechBFP said:
5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

How do you know so certainly what the modding scene will be like?

Based on the modding scene of every other sequel I have ever seen.

"Every other sequel" isn't KSP 2 though.

21 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Re-creating, sure. Porting, no.

Oh.     I feel this conversation would have been much shorter if that was made clear. Thanks, and goodnight.

A lot of KSP1 modding was centered around providing basic functionality that in KSP2 is going to be included in the game itself (like the LUA-based module manager equivalent Nate talked about).

On one hand modding could be easier and having a lot of tools integrated into the game will make maintaining mods simpler, on top of that the presence in the stock game of multiple resources, colonies, (simplified) Life support*, extra-planetary launchpads, multiplayer, and multiple star system is going to shift the focus of the biggest and more complex mods from that towards the next stage.

Whatever that next stage may be, all the biggest mods for KSP1 were adding things that are now features of KSP2, what's next? More complexity in those basic stock systems? It would be a matter of MM patches (or it's KSP2 equivalent) and scripting, the need to implement all the art assets probably completely absent and most background systems already implemented.

The only big set of mods left out from this is the whole Real Solar System and Realism Overhaul niche.

So what? What can a team of modders with the talent and the time to implement a ton of art assets and programming could implement in KSP2? Airships? Floating colonies in Eve's clouds? City building and managing mechanics? AI-companies and ships to play against or with? Real civilization managing  aspects? Generational colony ships? Megastructures?

To me it feels like stock KSP2 will allow modding to start from a position that KSP1 struggled to reach, you basically are starting with the heaviest modded install possible, now stock and well integrated into the base game and with all the performance overhead free again to use to build a new layer of mods.

It was a little risky in KSP1 making a mod that relied on colonization to expand some random aspect of it, you'd have to rely on a colonization mod and on a overly long chain of interconnected dependencies and community maintained projects, at every update you would have to wait for the whole chain to slowly update, a maintenance  nightmare. But now all of that is stock, you can give that for granted and start building your idea on top of it all.

Probably it will be easier to implement city building and managing mechanics like in "Surviving Mars" in KSP2 (regardless of how primitive the stock colony system is) than it is implementing colonization into KSP1.

On the other hand the minimum bar for "Good stock-alike" assets is now way higher, and that is definitely going to cut out some people, especially in the planet modding side of things.

*A side note about life support: Even if not present most of it's "just" a matter of resource management, with complex resource systems and resource consumption taken into account in the background already by the game implementing a system is probably going to be easier than starting from scratch like in KSP1.

Edited by Master39

4 hours ago, Master39 said:

(like the LUA-based module manager equivalent Nate talked about)

Wait, where? I heard that someone was hired to work on Lua scripting, but I didn’t hear anyone say that it would be the new modding language or that there would be a module manager-like system. 

22 minutes ago, t_v said:

Wait, where? I heard that someone was hired to work on Lua scripting, but I didn’t hear anyone say that it would be the new modding language or that there would be a module manager-like system. 

Here is some, likely really outdated at this point, information around that.

16 hours ago, Domonian said:

For the first wave of high-quality mods, I expect to see "Far Future" and missing "Near Future" technologies

Nertea, the "Far Future" and "Near Future" guy, is now on the KSP dev team. I believe he said he'll be wrapping up his mods with final updates, but on the other hand he's also making official content now.

3 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Nertea, the "Far Future" and "Near Future" guy, is now on the KSP dev team. I believe he said he'll be wrapping up his mods with final updates, but on the other hand he's also making official content now.

I thought I heard that somewhere; regardless, I still think we'll eventually get more near future techs with updates, DLC, and mods, and far future/unrealistic techs will also come from mods, or even possibly DLC, since Nertea is on the team. There will always be a want for faster, more efficient engines, and there will always be someone willing to make that happen. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

I think Take Two being the biggest scum bags in the gaming industry will shower KSP2 modders with DMCA and cease and desists. 

I wonder why they didn't for 5 years since acquiring the franchise.

9 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I wonder why they didn't for 5 years since acquiring the franchise.

Because KSP was an existing game. Now that TT is publisher for KSP2 from the ground up? Beware. I would even bet their the reason updates/news is so slow. Probably fighting with the devs to chop the game up for monetization.

Edited by Motokid600

6 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Because KSP was an existing game. Now that TT is publisher for KSP2 from the ground up? Beware. I would even bet their the reason updates/news is so slow. Probably fighting with the devs to chop the game up for monetization.

They've said no microtransactions, so no chopping up the game for monetization.

3 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

They've said no microtransactions, so no chopping up the game for monetization.

I'm sure they said alot of things. "Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies!" Lol. 

Edited by Motokid600

5 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Again, no microtransactions. This is a non-issue.

We'll see... I hope I'm wrong. I really am. But Take Two does not inspire confidence to say the least.

Edited by Motokid600

Now that this thread has been revived, with ksp2 taking more of a firm sci fi approach, I think (or at least hope) a lot of the mods will take a lighter sci fi approach. Weird planets that wouldn't quite make sense in real life however would be fun to mess around on (stuff like donut planets or just any of the planets from outer wild), your more out there sci fi engines (such as ftl drives), etc.