Looking for replacement planet packs

Missingno200

I don't think this is the right section but I couldn't find a more appropriate section. Sorry moderators. Anyhow, pretty simple, all I'm looking for are planet mod packs that completely replace the Kerbolar system. It could be for any version.

Current list of conversion mods in this thread:

I'm not entirely sure about Beyond Home's scale. I'm not sure if the rescaler means that GEP is by default 1x, or if it's rescaling 2.5x by 2.5(meaning it's actually 6.25x.) I'm not sure scale can even be applied to Whirligig World. The entire point of that planetpack is that it's INSANELY different to anything.

JNSQ is a lot like Snarkiverse, however the main reason why JNSQ is here and Snarkiverse isn't is because JNSQ redoes all of the planets on top of reshuffling the planet order, while Snarkiverse only reshuffles the planet order.

There is one in particular I have in mind, it was an obscure one that had a brown planet you started on, and a moon with an incredibly thin atmosphere, but I couldn't find it. If anyone knows which one that is, that one's on the top of my list to see again. All other suggestions are welcome. Below is a picture of the starting planet. UPDATE:It is Beyond Home! Thank you so much jimmymcgoochie!

unknown.png

Edited by Missingno200
Added Whirligig World and more info.

I don't know the brown moon you asked about.

As for other planet packs that completely replace the stock planets, here are my favorites. Note that I usually play at around 2.5x/2.7x scale so that larger multistage rockets are needed compared to stock.

JNSQ: This is IMO the best intro to rescaled systems. All planets are redone but use their old names, so it's very compatible with contract packs. Adds unique bases spread around Kerbin so there's a reason to explore with planes. Defaults to 2.7x scale.

KSRSS: A reproduction of the real solar system. Adds the extra challenge of the Moon's inclined orbit. Defaults to 2.7x.

Galileo's Planet Pack GPP: A completely reimagined system so there are new surprises for experienced players. Default 1x scale with an optional 2.5x download.

7 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

I don't know the brown moon you asked about.

IIRC the moon wasn't brown, but all l'm certain about is that it had an atmosphere that cut off at around 2-5km from sea level. It was a really thin atmosphere. The planet, on the other hand, was mostly brown.

7 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

JNSQ: This is IMO the best intro to rescaled systems. All planets are redone but use their old names, so it's very compatible with contract packs. Adds unique bases spread around Kerbin so there's a reason to explore with planes. Defaults to 2.7x scale.

KSRSS: A reproduction of the real solar system. Adds the extra challenge of the Moon's inclined orbit. Defaults to 2.7x.

Galileo's Planet Pack GPP: A completely reimagined system so there are new surprises for experienced players. Default 1x scale with an optional 2.5x download.

Interesting. I prefer 1x planets, so I'll likely take GPP, but JNSQ is interesting too even if it isn't quite a traditional kerbolar replacement.

Edited by Missingno200

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, Missingno200 said:

Interesting. I prefer 1x planets, so I'll likely take GPP, but JNSQ is interesting too even if it isn't quite a traditional kerbolar replacement.

JNSQ has an optional config that allows it to be downsized to stock scale.

JNSQ and GPP are both Team Galileo products.  There's also Grannus Expansion Pack (GEP).  It was originally made as a secondary star system to add to GPP, but it includes an option that makes it the primary system.  It has about the same number of planets as the stock system, but they orbit a red dwarf star.  The home world is also slightly larger than Kerbin.  The home worlds in JNSQ (with 1x rescale) and GPP are both the same size as Kerbin.

12 hours ago, OhioBob said:

JNSQ has an optional config that allows it to be downsized to stock scale.

Good to know. 

12 hours ago, OhioBob said:

JNSQ and GPP are both Team Galileo products.  There's also Grannus Expansion Pack (GEP).  It was originally made as a secondary star system to add to GPP, but it includes an option that makes it the primary system.  It has about the same number of planets as the stock system, but they orbit a red dwarf star.  The home world is also slightly larger than Kerbin.  The home worlds in JNSQ (with 1x rescale) and GPP are both the same size as Kerbin.

Interesting knowledge, and I'll take GEP into consideration. GEP seems familiar, I wonder if it's the pack I used in the past.

7 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@Missingno200 I believe the mod you’re looking for is Beyond Home:

The moon on the horizon is Lua, which has a 10km “thick” atmosphere that’s barely enough to run jet engines at low altitudes.

FUDGE YEAH! That's the one! "And a moon with an incredibly thin atmosphere" is Lua! Thank you so much!

A few points on your list:

Beyond Home is similar to stock scale, Rhode is a bit smaller than Kerbin, but there’s a rescale config that can scale it up by 3.5x which makes Rhode the same size as JNSQ Kerbin.

Galileo’s Planet Pack (GPP) and Grannus Expansion Pack (GEP) can be used together or separately, GEP has a version on CKAN that’s scaled up to match JNSQ specifically to be used with JNSQ, but GPP doesn’t as far as I know- it does have rescaling configs somewhere though so it would be possible to use all three at once.

KSRSS has 1x and 2.5x scale options I think, but I haven’t actually used that (only the full RSS with RO and RP-1).

And a few more planet packs to consider:

• Outer Planets Mod (OPM) adds analogs of Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto to the stock system and moves Eeloo to orbit Sarnus (Saturn).
  • Snarkiverse doesn’t add or remove anything, it just rearranges the existing planets and moons to shake things up a bit.
  • Whirligig World starts you out on a massive and rapidly spinning oblate planet with no atmosphere, reaching orbit isn’t too hard but getting back again is like landing on Tylo and getting to other planets takes RSS levels of delta-V. Not one I’ve used before but only because I’ve never had the time to do so, it looks really interesting.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:41 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

A few points on your list:

Beyond Home is similar to stock scale, Rhode is a bit smaller than Kerbin, but there’s a rescale config that can scale it up by 3.5x which makes Rhode the same size as JNSQ Kerbin.

Galileo’s Planet Pack (GPP) and Grannus Expansion Pack (GEP) can be used together or separately, GEP has a version on CKAN that’s scaled up to match JNSQ specifically to be used with JNSQ, but GPP doesn’t as far as I know- it does have rescaling configs somewhere though so it would be possible to use all three at once.

KSRSS has 1x and 2.5x scale options I think, but I haven’t actually used that (only the full RSS with RO and RP-1).

Pretty useful stuff, though I already knew the GEP part. Sincerely, thanks for the rest of the information.

• Outer Planets Mod (OPM) adds analogs of Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto to the stock system and moves Eeloo to orbit Sarnus (Saturn).

While I appreciate the suggestion, this thread was specifically for mods that completely change or outright remove the Kerbolar system in favor of another, since those are on average rarer than a planet addition or modification mod. The other two will get on the list though, when I get around to updating the thread.

Edited by Missingno200
Clarification needed on planet replacement.

Whirligig World starts you out on a massive and rapidly spinning oblate planet with no atmosphere, reaching orbit isn’t too hard but getting back again is like landing on Tylo and getting to other planets takes RSS levels of delta-V.

In Whirligig World, delta-V isn't the only challenge in getting to other planets. The home planet's high gravity means that to avoid prohibitive cosine losses, you need either a lot of periapsis kicks (which run the risk of accidentally encountering a moon) or extremely high TWR (which is impractical to maintain throughout the ~4500 m/s burn). 

However, unlike most other systems I've seen, the inner planets are packed full of moons, and the home planet has a small moon pretty close to the surface. Establishing a refueling base there makes the trip to almost anywhere else a lot cheaper, and breaks down the long ejection burn into manageable ~1500-2000 m/s pieces.

If you don't want to do that either, there's also an option to start on a habitable Kerbin-sized moon that's significantly less deep in the planet's gravity well.

Edit: The homeworld Mesbin is an unusual case because it has so much gravitational compression, but the rest of the bodies have densities and atmospheres consistent with stock scale (0.1x RSS scale).

Edited by Leganeski
Add information about scale

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.