Kerbal Ball

ColdJ

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0

Link: https://spacedock.info/mod/3111/Kerbal Ball

If you control your craft using a keyboard then just make sure your pitch control isn't the same key as your rover acceleration control.

Hi. Kerbals take the health of their team very seriously, so much so that they will put them in protective bubbles.

This is the Kerbal Ball, a 2 piece vehicle for a single kerbal to get around. Very simple for a bit of fun.

The outer piece is the wheel and like all wheels once attached it needs to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees to work out in the world.

This is a good one to have the internal overlay on all the time.

The pod has 4 extra nodes, front, back, up and down so it can be used for other things but it cannot be surface attached. There are no internal props. It is the right way up when spawned in the SPH.

Type hampster or ball in parts for them to pop up.

Enjoy.

Kerbal_Ball-1662456655.png

hLUdnYK.png

Edited by ColdJ

On 9/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, ColdJ said:

The outer piece is the wheel and like all wheels once attached it needs to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees to work out in the world.

@flart

Hi. I know that when you have only dealt with wheels that have shock towers that it can be confusing at first. All wheels from everywhere (except for a confusing one from Fast corp where the node was backwards) enter the SPH with the top pointing out the open doors and seeing as a wheel needs to have it's top pointing up when on a rover in order to work, they need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to work. So If you spawn the ball cockpit into the SPH first and don't change anything then grab the outer ball wheel and click it to it's node, again without changing any orientation. Once on click on the rotation tool then click on the ball wheel you will see that the blue line is horizontal and the red line vertical. Use the rotation tool to turn it clockwise till the blue line is now vertical and it is ready to go out into the world.

2 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Could I stack them side to side? Also, is there CTT support?

Only if you build a frame work off the cockpit balls extra nodes as 2 wheels by themselves would not be controlable.

What is CTT?

1 minute ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Community tech tree

I haven't done anything to them other than stock and I have made them available right from the Start. If you whant to make them something to have to work for then you will need to edit your config files or create a MM patch.

3 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I tried it and it just kinda spun me around.

You tried what?

The outer is a wheel. Just at a guess, you wouldn't have your pitch control still on the same key as your rover acceleration control would you?

1 minute ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I do... why?

It is a cockpit inside a wheel with nothing to stop it turning over other than a reaction wheel. You hit the pitch control and you are tumbling the cockpit over, so you just need to assign one or the other to a different key.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:58 AM, ColdJ said:

90 degrees clockwise

I was able to make it work because of this line in the OP, but it is much easier to just have arrow as in the Kerbal Foundries, and note in the description of the part, to make sure the arrow points up.

Edited by flart

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to board the Kerbal Ball in-flight ?

Also I have problem to build a vehicle in the construction mode. I have made a patch for volume, but default orientation is probably different, transparent arrows would help with the orientation.

Spoiler
@PART[CJHampsterPod]
{
	@category = Utility
	@title = Kerbal Ball Protection (Inner)

-MODULE[ModuleInventoryPart]{}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoPart
        packedVolume = 520   // d = 1m, v = 523 
    }
}

@PART[CJHampsterWheel]
{	
	@category = Utility
	@title = Kerbal Ball Motive (Outer)
	@description ^= :^:<i>Use rotation tool on the ball wheel. You will see, that the blue line is horizontal and the red line vertical. Turn it clockwise till the blue line is  vertical and it is ready to go out into the world.</i>\n\n: 

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoPart
        packedVolume = 1770  // d = 1.5, v = 1767
    }
}

9 hours ago, flart said:

Is it possible to board the Kerbal Ball in-flight ?

That is completely up to your skill level. It has an airlock but not a ladder to grab as it is a ball and if you were on a ladder you would be flung all over the place.

This was never designed to be put together in EVA construction.

This was a one off mod to just have a bit of fun. I will not be altering it or updating it.

Based on it's size I wouldn't think it would be able to be put in an inventory slot. If you want it to be able to be used in EVA construction then you are probably better off with.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoPart    
        stackableQuantity = 1
        packedVolume = -1
    }

The rotation tool in EVA probably has the same orientation as when in the SPH or the VAB, never taken the time to check,so that could be used to work out which way up. I do know that in EVA the part is always brought out of inventory the same way up.

I make all my mods freely open to be played around with by whoever downloads them so if you wish to change them for Your OWN Game then that is fine. If you want any physical changes to the model then I suggest you read my thread on using the .mu plugin with Blender/BforArtists 3 and adjust the model to your liking. Everything you need is free to download and I have given info on a lot of aspects. All you will probably need to do is pick a section you want as different and change it's position on the UV map to be over that colour. Just remember that .dds are upside down compared to everything else and so you might want to make a flipped version that is saved as a PNG and rename the original to something else as you work so that it looks right in the 3d program.

Here is the link.

Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 2:13 AM, darthvader15001 said:

Hmm I have to put this on a rocket

Looks like someone already did that :P

I completely forgot I had this mod installed and had one of these spawn in while doing a rescue contract (it told me to recover the craft too, so that's why the spacecraft has a klaw). I thought it was one of the pods from Making History at first.

TaToDc8.png

I forgot reaction wheels and batteries so I did this mission with the OKTO2's internal battery (5 EC) and relying on the RCS to maneuver. I packed a lot of monoprop so it didn't end in disaster...yet. I had to hibernate the OTKO2 a few times to save EC. i forgot parachutes too

Hopefully the ball can survive Kerbin re-entry from returning from the Mün.

Don't worry she still survived.

Edited by tajwo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.