how to deploy a rover on Eve?

My usual trick is to attach a rover to a decoupler (or stack separator, or docking port) and set the release force to zero. I even put a little ledge below the rover so it doesn't fall too far, and use struts so that it doesn't suffer the impact of the release (let's be honest, it's never actually "zero" although I thought that was only going to be noticeable on low gravity planets). That works for me on Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Duna, Gilly, Ike...

But on Eve, my rover gets blasted around like crazy, and always ends up with broken wheels, even the ones with a high impact tolerance.

Generally I find that decouple / releasing anything on Eve summons the Kraken. How do folk workaround this and get a rover onto Eve without all the exploding wheels? If there was an air bag, I'd use it!

If you can, put a rover inside a structural tube. Land it, put it carefully on the side (in right orientation) possibly by using hinges, release the rover and drive out. That's my way to go with all rovers, and keeps them safe from reentry heating.

Ok I checked the video. The problem here looks like there's not enough space between the wheels and the plate at the bottom, so once it releases, the game detects collision and boom, wheels broken. With my idea, there's always some space between the wheels and the inside wall of the tube, and the rover is attached through the rear end, so it's not pushed downwards, but forwards, and only the gravity pulls it down. Also, foldable MH wheels are a better idea, because they don't act like wheels when retracted, and shouldn't pop.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

not enough space between the wheels and the plate at the bottom

oh, nice spot! I will try adding a bit of space and try some new designs. The irony is that I was trying to make it as small as possible to reduce the impact of the Eve gravity!

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

the rover is attached through the rear end, so it's not pushed downwards, but forwards

ok, I'm starting to see the genius of your idea now!

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

Try a parachute above the rover, heat shield + cubic strut spacer + decoupler below. Open the chute and decouple the heat shield assembly before hitting the ground.

That's how I usually do it as well.  Works great.  

Another method is to land in the purple oceans.  If your rover can't propel itself in water that won't work though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.