Mods/suggestions for boosting performance? (for Ram and VRam usage)

FusionNexus

heyo again! lately my ksp modded instance has been really all over the place in performance, and I'm not sure how to stabilize it. without removing mods, id rather not remove mods outright, I run precisely 123 mods, all on CKAN, with in game showing 91 active mods (I'm assuming this number is reflecting mods that actually make changes/additions to the game, and doesn't include core mods basically). My pc specs are an i7 10700F 2.9ghz cpu, Geforce 2070S (8GB V-ram), 32GB ram, for the ones that matter. (id absolutely love to run Parallax once some issues with it are sorted out for the 2.0 update, relating to Kopernicus borking something with Galaxies Unbound)

When I run the game, it tends to max out my V-ram, which is strange because just adjusting my graphic settings then resetting them back to what I had them set to before, drops my V-ram usage by about 20% (if not more sometimes). While my Ram usage is ensured to drop so long as I reduce resolution quality to "good" instead of "beautiful".

So, are there any options besides removing mods, and constantly readjusting my settings *EVERY* time I launch the game, that can help keep V-ram and Ram usage down? I'm pretty sure my setup is more than overkill for even modded ksp. Suggestions or help besides mods is also appreciated

(I am asking this here because I'm not 100% sure where to actually ask this, its kinda a mix of addon suggestions and tech support, I understand if this gets moved to a more appropriate place if this is not the right place to ask)

Here's what I've found helps:

VRAM is mostly used for texture preloading, and since KSP loads almost everything when a scene is loaded, some mods like Distant Object Enhancement or Physics Range Extender can cause issues. If not, I'd try messing with a single visual setting without touching other ones. I mean, it takes a hot minute to load when we mod KSP but I think that some mods and settings have an outsize effect on performance due to big textures and rendering bugs.

I'm running a 1080 Ti with 11GB of VRAM and I still run it around 90% full, even though my CPU/GPU cores are below 50% usage. I'll see if I can pagefile some of the RAM allocation and update, but otherwise I don't have any real solutions.

25 minutes ago, Derpotron said:

Here's what I've found helps:

VRAM is mostly used for texture preloading, and since KSP loads almost everything when a scene is loaded, some mods like Distant Object Enhancement or Physics Range Extender can cause issues. If not, I'd try messing with a single visual setting without touching other ones. I mean, it takes a hot minute to load when we mod KSP but I think that some mods and settings have an outsize effect on performance due to big textures and rendering bugs.

I'm running a 1080 Ti with 11GB of VRAM and I still run it around 90% full, even though my CPU/GPU cores are below 50% usage. I'll see if I can pagefile some of the RAM allocation and update, but otherwise I don't have any real solutions.

thx for the tips, ive noticed recently that just dropping my render quality down generally fixes the issue. though the game doesnt quite seem to recognize my graphic setting until i reupdate it in the settings menu (which is really weird). Ram so far ive found slowly reduces itself overtime and stabilizes, only increasing when there's a lot of stuff happening on screen (such as a part loaded rocket taking off)

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 11:28 PM, FusionNexus said:

heyo again! lately my ksp modded instance has been really all over the place in performance, and I'm not sure how to stabilize it. without removing mods, id rather not remove mods outright, I run precisely 123 mods, all on CKAN, with in game showing 91 active mods (I'm assuming this number is reflecting mods that actually make changes/additions to the game, and doesn't include core mods basically). My pc specs are an i7 10700F 2.9ghz cpu, Geforce 2070S (8GB V-ram), 32GB ram, for the ones that matter. (id absolutely love to run Parallax once some issues with it are sorted out for the 2.0 update, relating to Kopernicus borking something with Galaxies Unbound)

When I run the game, it tends to max out my V-ram, which is strange because just adjusting my graphic settings then resetting them back to what I had them set to before, drops my V-ram usage by about 20% (if not more sometimes). While my Ram usage is ensured to drop so long as I reduce resolution quality to "good" instead of "beautiful".

So, are there any options besides removing mods, and constantly readjusting my settings *EVERY* time I launch the game, that can help keep V-ram and Ram usage down? I'm pretty sure my setup is more than overkill for even modded ksp. Suggestions or help besides mods is also appreciated

(I am asking this here because I'm not 100% sure where to actually ask this, its kinda a mix of addon suggestions and tech support, I understand if this gets moved to a more appropriate place if this is not the right place to ask)

Hey i saw you mentioned Galaxies Unbound and i might recommend you to look at KSPCommunityFixes (check the performance tweaks). This might greatly increase your performance/frame rate for 50-200%

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.