[1.12.x] AeroSpace Technologies and Reusable Operations - Stockalike Lockheed Martin MADV | v0.2.0

astro_119

1.png

Conformal Decals used above

This mod aims to recreate the reusable Mars lander concept by Lockheed Martin, the Mars Ascent Descent Vehicle. This is a very early pre-release so it is unfinished and there are still many issues and other things I need to work on, so expect many issues and feedback is appreciated.

Designed for use in 2.5x

Current (definitely probably working) features:

• Accurate exterior model/textures
  • Lifting body capable of very precise and accurate landings
  • Opening/closing nose cone for docking port
  • Folding radiator panels
  • "Working" elevator, better used aesthetically
  •  Extending/retracting aft fuselage cargo lift
  • Engine and RCS waterfall effects
  • 3 colour variants

More Images:

Spoiler

screenshot52.png

screenshot56.png

screenshot58.png

Docking port is from Benjee10

screenshot48.png

screenshot49.png

220200_20220909030758_1.png

Credit to @TruthfulGnome for this image

screenshot162.png

screenshot165.png

Credit to @Kais_The_Duckfor the 2 above images

Notes/Known Issues:

• Landing leg suspension not working, and this doesn't seem to be a universal issue: the landing legs just completely become dysfunctional sometimes (temporary fix is given by making it an animated part instead of a functional landing leg)
  • There is a ladder attached to the elevator that the kerbal needs to grab onto during the animation to prevent glitching 
  • Parts that attach to the cargo lift don't move with it, parts that are attached to the cargo lift's bottom node and parts that are attached to that part will move along
  • nullrefs get spammed when right clicking on the lab/airlock part

Accurate Landing Demonstration:

Future plans:

• IVA
  • Storage containers and rover(s) inside as seen in this image
  • More aerodynamic adapter to connect 5m to MADV
  • Emissive textures for the engines
  • adding sounds

Dependencies:

• CommunityResourcePack
  • Module Manager
  • Waterfall

Download:
GitHub Repository [1.12.x | v0.2.0 | 14/9/22]

v0.2.0

- White and black, and lunar variants have been added
- Rear propellant module fuel cells use less fuel but also generate less electric charge
- updated engine plumes added by Adiri
- Improved stability during atmospheric flight
- reduced capability of the laboratory module (previously it had a the capability of a full processing lab which would be a little op for a vehicle like this)
- Landing leg have gear as default action group
- converted most texture files to .dds file format to decrease in game loading time
- reduced seam line visibility

Changelog:

Spoiler

v0.1.3

- Slightly more fuel added to allow for precise landings with a good dV margin

v0.1.2

- Flags added on the Rear Propellant Module

v0.1.1

- Aerodynamic performance has been changed to be more realistic (can perform supersonic retro braking at 500m/s in Martian atmosphere)
- Cockpit model used to glitch into docking ports but that's now fixed

Recommended Mods:

• Benjee10 Shared Assets (for docking ports)
  • CryoTanks (cryogenic propellant boiloff)
  • Trajectories (accounts for atmospheric factors to predict your landing position)
  • MechJeb (to hold attitude during atmospheric entry)
  • Conformal Decals
  • Artemis Construction Kit (for SLS, primary launch vehicle for Mars Base Camp components)

And again, any feedback is welcome

Big thanks to @benjee10for helping me out with some issues I had while configurating some parts, getting my normal maps to work and continuing to assist me with other problems

And thanks to @Adiri for updating plumes, and assisting with waterfall issues

All rights reserved.

Edited by BlaZe119

13 minutes ago, rettter3 said:

Now we just need someboday to make an uptodate version of the Mars Base Camp. Well done :0.0:

maybe/maybe not 

Spoiler

screenshot23.pngunknown.png

i've had these assets for a while but i'm not sure when i'll work on them again because i'm trying to prioritise madv right now

Edited by BlaZe119

4 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

[snipped for brevity]

Current (definitely probably working) features:

• "Working" elevator
  •  Extending/retracting aft fuselage cargo lift

Future plans:

• Storage containers and rover(s) inside as seen in this image

Wonderful modeling work! I look forward to trying this when my current career game is ready to venture beyond the local moons.

Regarding the elevator and cargo deployment, and the glitchy nature of KSP robotics, maybe add a crew hatch near the bottom as a cheat if/when the elevator doesn't work. I similarly prefer to have cargo near the bottom for improved playability even if the actual concept put cargo at the top.

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This is really cool - thanks for sharing this!

>> it can maneouvre easily in duna's atmosphere but not in ksrss mars

Definitely can confirm this! Pretty much impossible to re-orient on KSRSS. Not sure if the atmo will be much different in Reborn.

i'm flying it in reborn and it's the same pretty much

4 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Wonderful modeling work! I look forward to trying this when my current career game is ready to venture beyond the local moons.

Regarding the elevator and cargo deployment, and the glitchy nature of KSP robotics, maybe add a crew hatch near the bottom as a cheat if/when the elevator doesn't work. I similarly prefer to have cargo near the bottom for improved playability even if the actual concept put cargo at the top.

adding a crew hatch seems kind of like a scuffed solution so instead i'll probably just put a ladder that runs the whole way down the side

I was testing on JNSQ last night and noticed there's a ton of nullrefs associated with the lab part. Do you already know about this, or would some logs n stuff help? It was spamming nullrefs when the PAW was open, and then just single nullrefs all over the place, at times like entering and leaving warp. Lemme know if this is news to you and I'll get you logs, but it should be easy to repro.

edit: screenshot tax, inspired by Mars Base Camp

myMJDwv.png

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

10 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I was testing on JNSQ last night and noticed there's a ton of nullrefs associated with the lab part. Do you already know about this, or would some logs n stuff help? It was spamming nullrefs when the PAW was open, and then just single nullrefs all over the place, at times like entering and leaving warp. Lemme know if this is news to you and I'll get you logs, but it should be easy to repro.

myMJDwv.png

i haven't heard of this issue and i haven't had it either, logs would help

also what's PAW, and what made you get the nullrefs?

18 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

myMJDwv.png

Man, stuff like this keeps me up at night...for all the right reasons.

Also I love seeing landers that are almost as large if not larger than the stations that support them.

Edited by Blufor878

11 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

i haven't heard of this issue and i haven't had it either, logs would help

also what's PAW, and what made you get the nullrefs?

Here's a link to my log where I put the ship on the pad, and right-clicked the lab part. The PAW (part action window) is open, and I'm not doing anything, and you'll see the flood of nullrefs in there near the end.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lZ0KyAdHFTP9ZcdNcQWxU1Rg7n9YQ3bu?usp=sharing

Hope this helps - let me know if you need more info!

I just wanted to say that replacing engines with one SSME from benjee10's ACK paired with two smallest PhotonCorp boosters and slapping a couple of chutes makes it a very powerful orbital crew shuttle for the stock system. I mean, it has enough Delta V to flyby Mun, decelerate and then land in KSC (tho I misjudged and splashed down nearby instead, and also forgor to close radiators :rolleyes:)

unknown.png

unknown.png

1 hour ago, nothingSpecial said:

I just wanted to say that replacing engines with one SSME from benjee10's ACK paired with two smallest PhotonCorp boosters and slapping a couple of chutes makes it a very powerful orbital crew shuttle for the stock system. I mean, it has enough Delta V to flyby Mun, decelerate and then land in KSC (tho I misjudged and splashed down nearby instead, and also forgor to close radiators :rolleyes:)

unknown.png

unknown.png

you forgor the elevator and box compartment things