Hole At The Pole

Ok guys, a quick question:  If a spacecraft, rover, or even Jeb himself, enters a hole at one of the Munar poles, is it automatic death and destruction?

The reason I ask is because, having only tried this for the first time tonight, every time I attempted it, my probe exploded.  I tried this four or five times, F5 being invaluable for this, and while I might have touched the sides a few of the times, I would lay money on that I didn't on the last try.  I then cobbled together a rover, and tried driving it over the edge, but it shared the same fate as its flying brothers.

The funny thing is, I'm almost certain, somewhere on these forums, someone posted an image of a rover floating in space, having dropped through the one of the Munar "poholes"  I even remember the article said very strange readings and information were appearing on the KER display which were also visible in the screenshot.

So is it possible to survive dropping into one of these holes, or is it certain doom, and my memory of the other guy doing so is wrong?

Thanks everyone.

In my experience, if it's a crack in the terrain mesh that you can see stars through (looks a bit like a floor tile is lifting) then yes.  Even if you survive falling through it's not good news.

The Mohole, at Moho's North Pole, is an exception.  But you can get stuck at the bottom.

Usually you blow up, as I understand its an death zone below the surface intended to kill fast going ships and stuff hitting the surface. 
You can clip trough this however, happened with me multiple times. I tried to drive trough an clipped hole at the Mun poles and succeeded, I fell down to the singularity at the core and was spit out at significant velocity, rover was still reported at traveling over surface so I had to revert, I think the travel over surface bug is why this worked. Repeated and was not able to do it again.
Also sent an rover with an small probe I put into the opening and it blew up all the time, probably because flying not driving.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.