Easter egg parts

(I know I posted like 30 seconds ago) I think that KSP 2 needs funny joke parts and useful parts that are not on the tech tree or on parts of the tech tree only unlocked after visiting a certain planet, system, doing something, or finding a specific Easter egg.

7 hours ago, Ryaja said:

(I know I posted like 30 seconds ago) I think that KSP 2 needs funny joke parts and useful parts that are not on the tech tree or on parts of the tech tree only unlocked after visiting a certain planet, system, doing something, or finding a specific Easter egg.

Can't say this appeals to me much.

It feels too much like unlocking 'magic' items, rather than researching and developing better tech.  I just don't think it fits.

Maybe not joke parts, but I do think that it could be an interesting mechanic to have to visit some places in order to be able to research or unlock certain things. Perhaps you find some exotic mineral in a certain biome of a moon and the kerbals learn how to produce it to suit their needs, unlocking a new engine or something similar in the process. 

It would be a big incentive for the player to go to multiple planets and moons.

12 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

orion drive -pusher plate

I don't understand how having a single nuke part would help with this.  You need multiple nukes to get a good delta-v, and a whole bunch of stuff to eject the bomb at the right time, detonate at the right time, etc.

14 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Blow things up,

I'm not very enthusiastic about that, but yeah, you could definitely blow some big stuff up.  This is probably would be why it would be an easter egg, because the part has no real use within the game.

Or part variants, like if you visit an Apollo landing Easter egg, you get a variant of the mk 2 lander can that looks like the LEM. Or if you make a ship that has a length:width ratio of at least 400:1, you get a suit that looks like a cross between the kerbal bubble suit and the Darth Vader suit

12 minutes ago, t_v said:

Or part variants, like if you visit an Apollo landing Easter egg, you get a variant of the mk 2 lander can that looks like the LEM. Or if you make a ship that has a length:width ratio of at least 400:1, you get a suit that looks like a cross between the kerbal bubble suit and the Darth Vader suit

Maybe if you break one of the Moon Buggy wheels you get a lunar map variant. 

13 hours ago, Ryaja said:

Green monoliths do something like this already.  Given the mysterious nature of the monoliths, I think it appropriate that they do strange things once in awhile. 

One thought I had was a one in a million chance that a kerbal jetpacking to the top of a monolith and standing there too long would get frozen into its face like a tiny Han Solo frozen in carbonite and only another kerbal arriving on scene would free them, so a rescue would be required

Edited by darthgently

9 hours ago, Ember12 said:

I'm not very enthusiastic about that, but yeah, you could definitely blow some big stuff up.  This is probably would be why it would be an easter egg, because the part has no real use within the game.

wrong. imagine this: you have a fricking massive base on a planet that you no longer have any use for, but you want your kerbals back from it. as long as you have crew recovery still on, you can nuke the base and get all your little kerbal clones back.

3 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

wrong. imagine this: you have a fricking massive base on a planet that you no longer have any use for, but you want your kerbals back from it. as long as you have crew recovery still on, you can nuke the base and get all your little kerbal clones back.

I don't know what this "crew recovery" thing is, but I doubt it will be in stock KSP2.

3 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

it is set to default in the settings, all crews will respawn and be able to be hired back from the astronaut complex in two gameplay hours

I stand corrected, this could very well be in KSP2.  But could a nuke do anything that a "terminate" can't?

On 9/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, Quiroid said:

... Perhaps you find some exotic mineral in a certain biome of a moon and the kerbals learn how to produce it to suit their needs,

I could accept this approach to 'discovering advanced tech' as it doesn't  in itself give instant knowledge or high tech parts.  

It could give you the chance to develop something that simply wasn't possible before due to lacking the right materials.

Yes - Silly parts like a chocolate egg command module

Yes - Silly cosmetic variants like an engine that shoots rainbows as plumes

No - Overpowered parts that affect game balance

With that being said, I do like what Quiroid mentioned:

On 9/10/2022 at 7:40 AM, Quiroid said:

Maybe not joke parts, but I do think that it could be an interesting mechanic to have to visit some places in order to be able to research or unlock certain things.

Although I would prefer a system like KSP1 where science is fungible and you don't need to visit specific biomes to unlock specific nodes in the tech tree.  If we had to visit a specific planet to unlock a really useful part, this could encourage players to rush a really hard celestial body before exploring other easier locations.

4 minutes ago, poopslayer78 said:

No - Overpowered parts that affect game balance

...If I may contradict myself for a moment, if an easter egg part was added that was powerful to the point of absurdity, I'd be OK with that.  Something like a warp drive or stand-alone super-nuke that is clearly not intended to be a canonical part of gameplay.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:03 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

Maybe if you break one of the Moon Buggy wheels you get a lunar map variant. 

I was thinking maybe there is a chance that when a broken LRV wheel is repaired, it gets the lunar map texture.

Edited by Kerb24