[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

2 minutes ago, Folkhoer said:

For me it seems everything floats above the surface, is this a known bug?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2268053815

Not a bug, that's just the nature of tessellation. I'll be adjusting the offset values for the displacement maps in the next update to Beyond Home

Edited by Gameslinx

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Not a bug, that's just the nature of tessellation. I'll be adjusting the offset values for the displacement maps in the next update to Beyond Home

Sounds great man, although this already makes the game so much better.
Awesome mod, thanks!

Edited by Folkhoer

I've just added my own version of Load On Demand. Instead of loading every texture for every planet, textures are now only loaded for the planet you're in the SOI of.

If you're orbiting the Mun, there's no need to load any other planet because you won't see the textures on their surfaces. This optimization brought my RAM usage from 7.4GB to 4.0GB

It did have some wacky effects when testing, such as forgetting to update the 4 other shaders when loading textures: 

unknown.png

Luckily, this has been fixed. Here's Minmus!

unknown.png

I've tried my best to keep it true to its icy, minty nature. Hopefully this is an aesthetic that fits that!

unknown.png

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I've just added my own version of Load On Demand. Instead of loading every texture for every planet, textures are now only loaded for the planet you're in the SOI of.

Does this affect viewing other planets in Map View?

On 10/27/2020 at 4:06 AM, Gameslinx said:

If you're orbiting the Mun, there's no need to load any other planet because you won't see the textures on their surfaces. This optimization brought my RAM usage from 7.4GB to 4.0GB

I

@Gameslinx Hi ! What about Kerbin ? It can be seen from the Mun.... or Mun from Kerbin...

And Leythe/Jool...etc

something like this....

bc58a7c15183.png

in Joolian system are lot of moons in the sky sometimes...

or we just see stock textures of far away objects?

Edited by *MajorTom*

3 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

@Gameslinx Hi ! What about Kerbin ? It can be seen from the Mun.... or Mun from Kerbin...

And Leythe/Jool...etc

something like this....

<snip>

in Joolian system are lot of moons in the sky sometimes...

or we just see stock textures of far away objects?

That's different from what Gameslinx was describing -- when bodies are far away, we don't need to load the special parallax textures and detailed ground shading, etc.

So I've been working on Tylo and Vall in the last few days in between trying my best to fight off Covid. I came to realize that Tylo's colour map doesn't match its heightmap at all - the craters on the colour map are in a different place to where they are on the heightmap!

Nontheless, I carried on and I'm hoping that you're all fans of the new Tylo:

unknown.png

unknown.png

And, as a treat, here's my version of Vall, inspired by the KSP Loading 1.11 Vall Revamp video:

unknown.png

On 10/25/2020 at 2:13 PM, Kerminator1000 said:

Looks amazing as always!

How do you do stuff like this? I am trying to learn how to make my own planet packs and want to add this kind of impressive realism.

Linx has a lot of experience.  But to use his mod, there's supposedly a wiki somewhere for us "normal" level texture people to learn how to work with Parrallax.  Is that done yet, @Gameslinx?

On 10/22/2020 at 4:20 PM, epicfailure2020 said:

does this work with stock yet?

It is being worked on but is not available yet.  Author has COVID so please be understanding and patient.

Edited by R-T-B

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Linx has a lot of experience.  But to use his mod, there's supposedly a wiki somewhere for us "normal" level texture people to learn how to work with Parrallax.  Is that done yet, @Gameslinx?

It's in the works. Over the last week or two, there have been some huge changes to the shader, so I would have had to keep rewriting sections of the wiki. Until the next update is published, the documentation is on hold

3 questions,

1: I'm getting hints that the stock planet shaders and retextures complete? Is it released, or am I hearing things?

2: What was involved in optimizing this?

3: I see some very detailed textures, but are the surface features collidable or are they cosmetic?

Edited by kerbalxploder

13 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

3: I see some very detailed textures, but are the surface features convex or are they cosmetic?

I hope this answers your question. The surface features do not change the hitbox of the planet, so the textures are only cosmetic. Linx has said that it would be incredibly resource intensive to change the hitboxes in accord to the textures, and it would also mess with landings.

28 minutes ago, accidentalcolonies said:

I hope this answers your question. The surface features do not change the hitbox of the planet, so the textures are only cosmetic. Linx has said that it would be incredibly resource intensive to change the hitboxes in accord to the textures, and it would also mess with landings.

Yeah, that was what I was expecting. Thanks for your answer.

Parallax for the Stock planetary system is now available for early access on Patreon!

This will help me find any bugs that have slipped by me, and it will allow me to make any improvements before I unleash it on the rest of the world!

Edited by Gameslinx

On 11/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gameslinx said:

Parallax for the Stock planetary system is now available for early access on Patreon!

This will help me find any bugs that have slipped by me, and it will allow me to make any improvements before I unleash it on the rest of the world!

If astronautics doesn't work out, you definitely have a future in game design.

Parallax 1.1.0 - PRE RELEASE

This is a pre release. Report any bugs you find on the forum or the GitHub Issues section.

Changelog:

Additions:

• Added support for the stock planets
  • Added 4k textures for all of the stock planets
  • Added Load On Demand to significantly reduce RAM usage
  • Added Adaptive Parallax to significantly improve framerates (average 2x more FPS) on planets
  • Added "trueLighting" setting in the config to toggle between cinematic and soft lighting
  • Added "normalSpecularInfluence" which determines the strength of the normal map on specular reflections
  • Added emissive textures (glow in the dark) - Used for bioluminescence on Laythe
  • MANY more things that I've forgotten!

Fixes:

• Fixed jittery ground up close
  • Massively overhauled the lighting - Ambient light works correctly now
  • Improved performance with multiple lights
  • Fixed sudden transition to final zoom level and made it softer
  • Fixed lines in zoom level transitions
  • Fixed log spam on quads that don't build correctly
  • Fixed lines in shadows by applying the correct shadow bias in the shader
  • Improved shadow quality on close up terrain
  • Improved shadow factor transition

Modders Notes:

• Added public class "CameraRaycaster" which gets the camera height from the terrain
  • Emission is stored in the alpha channel of normal maps - MUST be DXT5 and NOT DXT5_NM for emissive planets