[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Is this a universal issue on stable 1.9.1 version?  If it is, I should probably add it to my tracker for fixing.

For what it's worth, I also encountered this exact same issue trying to install on 1.10, but I realized the problem was that I wasn't running the beta branch of Kopernicus, which meant that Kopernicus didn't load due to the version incompaitibility. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that they're encountering the same issue, especially if installing via CKAN.

Hey everyone! I hope you're enjoying landing on the new surfaces!

I've been working on a Scaled-Space shader in between updates and I wanted to share some progress. I'm calling it "Parallax Scaled" and it will be coming to Parallax in the future. The shader intends to enhance the look of the planets from space and really bring out their details. Some of the features planned include:

• Accurate normal mapping
  • Displacement mapping using tessellation
  • Specular reflection
  • Self shadows
  • Load-on-demand textures to reduce memory usage
  • More up-to-date atmosphere shader

One of the positive side effects is that planet oceans will now be flat and not bumpy around the edges. Here are some planets I've worked on so far:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Arco123 said:

did you render them in blender or something!

These were taken in the Unity editor, but they look almost identical to this ingame. The only thing different is that the shadows don't work in ScaledSpace for whatever reason, and forcing them on the Camera and Scaled Sunlight doesn't work either. It's something I'm currently in the process of figuring out.

If anyone does know how I can achieve this, your knowledge would be very helpful :) 

Just now, GuessingEveryDay said:

Preferably all of the planets. And the moons. My desktop is going to look amazing after this. :D

I am making the textures myself based on the stock planets - I'm exporting the planet in 8k using KittopiaTech then adding my own features and details to them. It does take some time so I won't have all of them done for a bit :)

It's much easier than doing the terrain textures, though! The textures will range from 4k to 8k, but using Load-On-Demand means you'll only actually have a few planets or moons loaded at once

hi ! testing version 1.1.1 the result is a very bad fps (8fps) flying over kerbin mountains near ksc.

my pc is pretty powerful I think!!

Posted on github  (parallax): issue

my ksp log and info on my PC and CG, and my installed mod .

despite everything it's very beautiful visually, and brings to the simu a real aesthetic!

Edited by stephm

30 minutes ago, stephm said:

hi ! testing version 1.1.1 the result is a very bad fps (8fps) flying over kerbin mountains near ksc.

my pc is pretty powerful I think!!

Posted on github  (parallax): issue

my ksp log and info on my PC and CG, and my installed mod .

despite everything it's very beautiful visually, and brings to the simu a real aesthetic!

If you have terrain scatters enabled, turn them off. They are a huge CPU draw for some reason, and playing with them on is next to impossible!

11 hours ago, Arco123 said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, did you render them in blender or something! That is not ksp. 

Here's Kerbin, now in-game:

Sadly, still got to work on the self shadows!

aFgdO8B.png

Edited by Gameslinx

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

If you have terrain scatters enabled, turn them off. They are a huge CPU draw for some reason, and playing with them on is next to impossible!

It's true, the scatter code is insanely inefficient, and honestly, I don't know how to fix it, and I've got so much to do it is very low on the priority list to figure out.  Still, not wanting to leave user hanging, I offered a work around some few releases ago in the form of the "culling range" parameter.  You can find it as the parameter "ScatterCullDistance" in GameData\Kopernicus\Config\Kopernicus_Config.cfg.  Basically it's a range in meters and scatters outside that range around the vessel aren't rendered.

I believe it's set to something approximating stock by default, probably 10000 (10km) which even kills me with my 5ghz  OC'd i9 9900k (Kopernicus just can't keep up with the stock scatter density and range even on high end cpu due to inefficient replacement code).  I've heard lowering it to 5000 (around 5km visible scatters) makes it have virtually no performance impact on modern hardware vs no scatters, you might try this.  I personally run at 7500 but I feel that might be a bit much for most users who don't OC their CPUs.

I'm assuming it's because the scatter code is singlethreaded in Kopernicus or something and ends up competing with the physics thread, but I can't really deal with that now until I understand it further.  Got too much on my plate right now.  So the work around parameter will have to do.  I think next release I will ship it as 5000 meters by default, even if not technically correct, it's better than lagging to death.

@stephm

Edited by R-T-B

Hey, so I was wondering how you go about making configs for planets. I wanted to play around with mixing it just a bit with rss specifically, but I know that ever set of mods can behave differently. So far, I was just using the kerbin stock configs that were recently released, but I haven't been able to get much further. I did change the color of the space center's ground in stock, but as soon as I apply it to rss it seems to no longer be touching up the KSC ground color?

Spoiler

lVMx3FC.jpg

I know that the configs are at least loading as when I change the rgb values of tintcolor, it does seem to change. I was wondering if there are any quick bits of information to go off of besides the github wiki or is parallax just not going to work quite well with this modset quite yet?

Spoiler

Modset:
JNUCpHA.png

Config:

Parallax
{
	Body
	{
		name = Kerbin
		Textures
		{
			surfaceTextureScale = 0.015
			steepTextureScale = 0.015

surfaceTexture = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/low00.dds
			surfaceTextureMid = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/mid00.dds
			surfaceTextureHigh = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/high00.dds
			steepTexture = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/steep00.dds

surfaceTextureBumpMap = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/low01.dds
			surfaceBumpMapMid = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/mid01.dds
			surfaceBumpMapHigh = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/high01.dds
			surfaceBumpMapSteep = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/steep01.dds

surfaceTessellationMap = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/displacement.dds
			influenceMap = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/influence.dds
			fogTexture = Parallax_RSSTextures/Earth/PluginData/fog.dds

fogRange = 450000
			steepPower = 6
			tessellationHeight = 2
			displacementOffset = 0.05

smoothness = 0.08
			tintColor = 0.6,0.6,0.6

lowStart = 0
			lowEnd = 3000
			highStart = 5000
			highEnd = 3500000

planetIsAtmospheric = true
			hasWater = false
			reflectionMask = 0,0,0,0
		}
	}
}

Hello!

I have Parallax installed but my terrain has become uglier if anything.  Nothing is being tessellated, just stock terrain textures raised about three feet off the ground.  I installed through CKAN so it should be a good install.  Not sure why this is happening.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, etc.

Any ideas?  This mod looks incredible and I require it's services.

Screenshots of KSP and CKAN here: https://imgur.com/a/orDU2kn

Hai! Got the same problem as the post by jjmartin. Stock planets.
I have terrain detail on Default, when I set it to high kerbin textures looked more like jjmartin's post instead of black.
Edit: Disabling ReShade didn't fix it so that's not it.

Logs: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/320669011207782411/777241426299846676/ksp_logs.zip

ksp_parl_prob.png

Edited by EritoKaio
update on issue

With the stock pack for Parallax, i'm sent into an infinite loading loop after loading all the parts and stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbkm_vVoMJOvx2vvjL6hQlije1BJcnCf/view?usp=sharing

https://imgur.com/Sobx8fv

Is an SSD recommended with this mod? I've only got my old spinning platter hard drive :D.

Edited by MrZurkon

2 minutes ago, MrZurkon said:

With the stock pack for Parallax, i'm sent into an infinite loading loop after loading all the parts and stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbkm_vVoMJOvx2vvjL6hQlije1BJcnCf/view?usp=sharing

https://imgur.com/undefined

Is an SSD recommended with this mod? I've only got my old spinning platter hard drive :D.

I doubt a SSD  or hard drive would make much of a difference here

Also do i need to uninstall my old visual pack (AVP) or can i just install this on top of it?