[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

KSP2's Pol looks incredible. I was inspired to redo some of the textures on the current Pol to make it look similar. In doing so, I've added two options to control the strength of the cliffs that really define them:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

@Gameslinx : Superb work! Provides KSP a subtle but important visual realism into the game that makes exploration  a visual delight.  Thank you for your hard work and will patiently wait for your next update while I enjoy your current work.

Edited by THX-1138

I bring more images :)

As we're getting closer to release (I estimate around a week, maybe less!) I wanted to share some more of the planets that I've retextured, starting with Duna:

Duna

Spoiler

unknown.png

And here are Duna's flats:

unknown.png

Kerbin

Spoiler

I've also changed how the slope texture is calculated. In the configs, I have added the options to adjust the blending contrast and midpoint. This can lead to some really nice looking cliffs and ridges on Kerbin:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Eeloo

Spoiler

Next up is Eeloo. Using the new slope calculation I'm really happy with Eeloo's new look:

unknown.png

I've given the ice a smoother looking texture as well:

unknown.png

Minmus

Spoiler

Finally, we have Minmus. Its flats weren't flat enough, so I flattened them. I also added a new steep texture and highlands texture:

unknown.png

I love the texture for the flats used on Minmus normally, so I took inspiration from it and tried to build upon it:

unknown.png

I'm really excited to bring you all these changes. Stay tuned :) 

Edited by Gameslinx

On 7/5/2021 at 2:25 AM, Gameslinx said:

I'm really excited to bring you all these changes. Stay tuned :) 

Oh god this looks amazing! Im waiting for the next version to give it a try, not sure my GPU can handle it but I need to see it at least at 10 fps :P

Parallax 1.3.0

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

This is a live release. Please submit issues via GitHub's issues page https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/issues

Changelog:

Features:

• Update to 1.12.x
  • Added support for huge planets
  • Added support for potato computers
  • Added "Advanced Subdivision" to massively increase the level of detail near the craft
  • Overhauled lighting system
  • Optimizations to the shader calculation, texture sampling and tessellation performance
  • Added a whole new and improved lighting system
  • Support for shader models 3.0 and 4.0
  • Support for older graphics cards
  • Added shader variants without tessellation
  • Added shader variants without influence mapping
  • Added low and medium quality shaders. If you have a slower PC, you'll get good performance from these!
  • Complete code rewrite of the loader
  • Added non-lambertian lighting settings for airless worlds
  • Added new 'gloss' feature for surface textures
  • New textures for Moho
  • New textures for The Mun
  • New textures for Minmus
  • New textures for Gilly
  • New textures for Duna
  • New textures for Dres
  • New textures for Tylo
  • New textures for Laythe
  • New textures for Pol
  • New textures for Vall
  • New textures for Eeloo

Changes:

• Ambient light now works correctly on every planet. No more pitch black nights!
  • Temporarily removed collisions, but fear not. The increase in detail means they are less necessary. I'm rewriting the code for collisions
  • Adjusted the shadow cascades to favour sharper shadows up close
  • Changed shader offset from 0.0, 1000.0 to 0.0, 1.0 now that Scatterer applies correctly over Parallax
  • Changing your terrain shader quality in the settings now changes your Parallax shader quality
  • Improved performance of lights
  • Temporarily removed reflections (not used in the stock texture pack anyway)
  • Improved accuracy of steep slope detection which in turn improved performance
  • Improved physical terrain quality of Eeloo, Vall and Eve

Fixes:

• Fixed kerbals floating above the terrain when trying to walk down hills or jump
  • Fixed vessels appearing as landed when they are clearly not
  • Fixed random white cubes appearing
  • Fixed vessels exploding in the air
  • Fixed incorrect camera detection
  • Fixed terrain textures moving when the camera reaches a certain altitude
  • Removed junk in the log from past debugging

Special Thanks

• Thank you to TheYear2525, theOneGalen, Jollicent, Austin Dean, Michael Armida, Jon Medders, Matthew Tarbet, Raymond Beehler, Kalle Anttila, Robert Griffith Moore, and Morphisor for supporting the project on Patreon

Most importantly, thank you for downloading Parallax. If you would like to support this project's development (or simply want to buy me a coffee!) you can support me via Patreon or Paypal:

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

3 hours ago, Vovical said:

Congrats on the update. I am enjoying it on other planets but have put the issues I am experiencing into a github issue as to not clog this page like it was before https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/issues/59

1 hour ago, m0a9r1c1el said:

same issue as Vovical, but without sigma dimensions. something is seriously broken lol

Please use the most recent scatterer version

Edit: Hmm, it seems you are. I've replied on the GitHub issue requesting the scatterer config 

Edited by Gameslinx

Great work, impressive list of changes and fixes :cool: Congrats!

To be clear, does 

6 hours ago, Gameslinx said:
  • Update to 1.12.x

mean this version doesn't work on previous ksp versions or that previous ksp versions just aren't supported?

29 minutes ago, modus said:

To be clear, does 

mean this version doesn't work on previous ksp versions or that previous ksp versions just aren't supported?

This version will work on previous KSP versions. Potentially down to 1.9, but I haven't tested that.

I seem to have found a bug. Basicially, Parallax is not tessellating. I am on a Mac, running ksp 1.12. The picture is from Pol.

https://imgur.com/QF6TrZL

ParallaxGolbal.cfg here

Spoiler

ParallaxGlobalConfig
{
    //These are global settings - Do not include a version of this in your own mod

TessellationSettings                        //Control quality of tessellation
    {
        edgeLength = 3                            //Default = 32. Ranges from 1 to 150. 1 is best quality, 150 is worst.
        range = 25                                //Default = 25. Controls how far from the camera the tessellation is applied.
        maxTessellation = 64                    //Default = 64. Ranges from 1 to 64. Controls how much tessellation is applied.
    }
    ReflectionSettings                            //Control quality of reflections
    {
        reflections = false                     //true or false
        refreshRate = 64                            //FPS value or "realtime"
        timeSlicing = IndividualFaces            //"Instantly", "AllFacesAtOnce", "IndividualFaces"
        resolution = 256                            //64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048
    }
    LightingSettings
    {
        tessellateLighting = true                //Flat lighting or accurate lighting - Turning this off improves performance at the cost of quality.
    }                                                                            
}                                                

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

4 minutes ago, TRAPPIST-1E said:

I seem to have found a bug. Basicially, Parallax is not tessellating. I am on a Mac, running ksp 1.12. The picture is from Pol.

Make sure your terrain shader quality is set to ultra in the game settings

5 minutes ago, modus said:

Is the official party line after the update still that is best not to use Parallax and Planetshine together?

Pretty much. Set it to Vertex mode for the best performance but it's best to just not use it altogether