[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 7/31/2021 at 7:02 PM, THX-1138 said:

For that specific screenshot I was using KPS 1.11.2 and the previous version of Parallax, v1.2.3 (with physics collisions turned on).  Also I was using PlanetShine (no longer recommended to be used along with Parallx at this time).   I still have not installed TUFX.

So did everything get brighter with the latest version of Parallax? 

5 hours ago, Steel_Saint said:

How is ground travel now?  (early on it was a little buggy for flipping rovers around.) I like to use rovers and unmanned rovers.

I removed collisions for now, so the ground behaves as normal in the stock game

I don't suppose anyone can point me in the right direction as to whats going on here:

Spoiler

yabGfnx.png

I think it's either Parallax or Astronomers Visual Pack (or one of the dependencies)

I'm installing everything via CKAN onto 1.12.2, reinstalled KSP and purged CKAN's cache and redownloaded.

If i only have Parallax installed theres no issue, and if i only have AVP installed theres no issues.

Only happens with both?

I imagine its a conflicting texture but not sure what i need to do.

Appreciate any help, and sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place ^.^

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

This looks like the city lights, which are not compatible. You can disable them and that'll fix the flickering :) 

Great thank you @Gameslinx !! Do I just delete the city lights folder?

I know this isnt a Parallax thing, so i can run away and ask in EVE or AVP threads, no problem. :D

EDIT: Found it sorry. If anyone else stumbles on this in the future, you can disable city lights in the EVE menu in game

Click EVE App Icon at the space centre >> go across to city lights >> remove >> Apply >> then save

Hope it helps someone ^.^ 

Edited by Squeaky

19 minutes ago, Drupegod02 said:

Wow! That looks amazing! Is parallax the mod causing the purple-ish sun flare? I have parallax, scatterer, and eve redux installed but Im not getting the sunflare.

Parallax doesn't touch sunflares, must be a third-party sunflare for Scatterer

Hi,

I just reinstalled Kerbal Space program's latest version and reinstalled all of my mods, but Parallax didn't look as good as in previous versions.

Why did those settings get nerfed and some removed in Parallax 1.3.0 from 1.2.3 ?

https://imgur.com/qPztQOd

The game looks much better and less flat (like Parallax looked before updating the game) , after I pasted the removed and changed settings from 1.2.3 into 1.3.0 and a performance hit is non existent on my 2070 super. 

1 hour ago, 2808erik said:

Why did those settings get nerfed and some removed in Parallax 1.3.0 from 1.2.3 ?

Because none of them were actually used. The stock textures never used the reflections, and collisions have been temporarily removed so I can rewrite them. 

1 hour ago, 2808erik said:

The game looks much better and less flat (like Parallax looked before updating the game) , after I pasted the removed and changed settings from 1.2.3 into 1.3.0

Those settings you added back will do nothing. The code that uses them, and the shaders themselves, don't reference those settings anymore.

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Because none of them were actually used. The stock textures never used the reflections, and collisions have been temporarily removed so I can rewrite them. 

Those settings you added back will do nothing. The code that uses them, and the shaders themselves, don't reference those settings anymore.

So I'm assuming only "edgeLength" and "range" still affect the terrain/tesselation quality, because 1.3.0 looks a lot worse by default worse coming from 1.2.3 and it is not disclosed anywhere how to tune the graphics or why it was changed. That is why I was curious, thank you for the quick reply though. You are amazing.

4 hours ago, 2808erik said:

So I'm assuming only "edgeLength" and "range" still affect the terrain/tesselation quality, because 1.3.0 looks a lot worse by default worse coming from 1.2.3 and it is not disclosed anywhere how to tune the graphics or why it was changed. That is why I was curious, thank you for the quick reply though. You are amazing.

EdgeLength affects the range at which the tessellation quality begins to drop. It is essentially "the minimum length of an edge (two connected vertices) can be on the screen before it is tessellated less". The range value affects the range at which the tessellation stops completely. Reducing the EdgeLength will improve the quality, as will extending the range.

1.3.0 should not look worse than 1.2.3. If you can share a screenshot of what you're seeing, that would be helpful :) 

3 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

EdgeLength affects the range at which the tessellation quality begins to drop. It is essentially "the minimum length of an edge (two connected vertices) can be on the screen before it is tessellated less". The range value affects the range at which the tessellation stops completely. Reducing the EdgeLength will improve the quality, as will extending the range.

1.3.0 should not look worse than 1.2.3. If you can share a screenshot of what you're seeing, that would be helpful :) 

hey linx how do i fix the shadow flickering only in kerbin i really love your mod and i want to get rid of that annoying shadow flicker.

19 hours ago, Drupegod02 said:

Wow! That looks amazing! Is parallax the mod causing the purple-ish sun flare? I have parallax, scatterer, and eve redux installed but Im not getting the sunflare.

It's one of the sunflares from 

but you'll have to dig around the end of the thread to get them working with current scatterer syntax