[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Good to know GL is still working on it. Life comes first, we'll wait  :)

Though currently when in shadow of mun, for example, looking at Kerbin The cloud layer is dark, when not in shadow all's good.

Thoughts gang? (typing this at work, couldn't add much here)

There seems to still be an issue with z-fighting with RSS cities, when RSSVE, EVE, the newest version of scatterer, and Parallax are installed. This only occurs where the city textures are overlaid, and the issue brought up on the Git hasn't been recognized yet. (https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/issues/62). Below is what the issue looks like. What is the most probable solution, given that the useDepthBufferMode = True condition is met already in scatterer?

9wmMZ4y.jpeg

Hello everyone,
Thank you for this wonderful mod which perfectly complements the look of this game. Unfortunately I have a problem that I absolutely do not understand,

Parallax tells me that the version of KSP is not supported!
However, I have installed the correct dependencies and the game version is correct, I do not know what to do.

I play KSP 1.12.2.3167 on windows 10 x64 with DLC Making History 1.12.1 and Breaking Ground 1.7.1.
Parallax 1.3.0 and its 1.3.0 textures as well. I use them with Kopernicus from RTB 1.12.1-59.
I am also using AVP 4.11, EVE 1.11.3.1 and Scatterer 0.0772. I installed all these mods manually and also with CKAN, but the problem persists.

What I understand even less is that the message says that the bugs related to this problem will not be taken into account. What to do ?
Please help me if you can. Thank you very much. (Excuse my english, but I use google translate)

My hardware, I5 3750K, 24GB DDR3 RAM and nVidia RTX2060.

My KSP Log

IMG-20211006-115243.jpg

10 hours ago, InfoTheGamer said:

There seems to still be an issue with z-fighting with RSS cities, when RSSVE, EVE, the newest version of scatterer, and Parallax are installed. This only occurs where the city textures are overlaid, and the issue brought up on the Git hasn't been recognized yet. (https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/issues/62). Below is what the issue looks like. What is the most probable solution, given that the useDepthBufferMode = True condition is met already in scatterer?

The only solution is to disable city lights/textures, they simply can't see the displaced surface, unlike effects in Scatterer they need to apply explicitely to the terrain and not to any opaque surface so they can't just use the depth buffer.

Hello everyone,

Following the first message I posted above ... The problem is solved, I give you the solution for those who have this same problem.

I uninstalled all of the mods, cleared CKAN's cache too, then had Steam checked the local files.
Then  I reinstalled ONLY Parallax 1.3.0 and its dependencies (Kopernicus RTB 59 in particular).
When relaunching KSP, I didn't wait long to get the same message as above.

So I did the same thing again to clean the installation, but this time I installed Parallax version 1.2.3 with Kopernicus RTB 58.
I relaunched the game and there miraculously, it works! Not even a message from the Terrain shader set too high.

I have reinstalled all my mods and KSP is working fine now.
I don't quite understand why. In any case, I no longer dare to update Parallax and Kopernicus.
If this helps someone out I would be happy to.

Good day everyone and thank you again for this mod which is essential.
Good game to the community!

That's to be expected. The Parallax effects are purely visual right now, the mod used to do collisions as well but it didn't play nicely with the wheels (and also made Kerbals ascend the towering invisible stairway to heaven) so the author removed that feature earlier this year. So you're looking at the Parallax terrain while driving over the actual original terrain mesh.

Hi, this looks like an awesome mod, but is it compatible with RSS? I've been reading the pages and it looks like it may be compatible, but do I need a special setup, or download any additional file besides the mod to make it work with RSS?

Can someone please clarify?

Edited by reicou

1 hour ago, Staticalliam7 said:

Why are there no configs for kerbin?

There are. You probably installed via CKAN? Then you need the second mod also - "Parallax - Stock Planet Textures"

45 minutes ago, reicou said:

Hi, this looks like an awesome mod, but is it compatible with RSS? I've been reading the pages and it looks like it may be compatible, but do I need a special setup, or download any additional file besides the mod to make it work with RSS?

Can someone please clarify?

There are no textures or configs for RSS. So you'd have to come up with those yourself.  And it may not work at RSS scale even then. Though someone did try, not sure how good that project is though as I've never tried it. 

37 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

There are. You probably installed via CKAN? Then you need the second mod also - "Parallax - Stock Planet Textures"

There are no textures or configs for RSS. So you'd have to come up with those yourself.  And it may not work at RSS scale even then. Though someone did try, not sure how good that project is though as I've never tried it. 

Yes, I saw that file, but as the last update of that project was a year ago, I thought that maybe it is no longer compatible with the new versions of Parallax and RSS.

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply and for the information. You have been really kind.

:)

Edited by reicou

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:
3 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

Why are there no configs for kerbin?

I did not use CKAN (I prefer to install manually) and I have both mods

2 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

I did not use CKAN (I prefer to install manually) and I have both mods

Check your install. There should be a file in your KSP folder: GameData\Parallax_StockTextures\ParallaxTerrain.cfg and it will have a section for Kerbin. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:36 PM, Gameslinx said:

Hi all, I just wanted to make a quick post to let everyone know that an update is still in the works but taking longer than expected. I started off by developing the next part of Parallax - Asteroids - but I want to focus on a few bugs present in the current version before trying to add new stuff. University is starting again for me shortly. In the time between now and then, I'm taking some short time off to focus on getting my bearings for the new academic year. Thanks for all the feedback and I hope to get an update ready as soon as I feel comfortable to continue :) 

Can't wait. I know a lot of people are bummed about KSP support ending but the nice thing will be the ability to "solidify" all mods into an "end state". The saddest thing about KSP has been how many great mods have fallen into disrepair because of abandonment over the many long years.

Your four planet mods (I think, four?) are easily the best of all but have lots of little problems due to changes in Kopernicus as well as updates and age.

Thanks for all you do!

10 minutes ago, Uncommonality said:

The Stock Planet Textures on CKAN seem to have been updated, but Parallax itself wasn't - so the textures version is 1.3.1 but the parallax version is still 1.3.0.

Heh, that's because a "-" changed to a "." in the file name:

mNmp8nL.png

1YBd9Su.png

Hello! First of all just let me say that this mod is a stunning achievement! It's truly mind-blowing what a passionate and talented mod dev can do. 

I have a small question, is it possible to have tessellation effects without new planetary textures that this mod introduces? No offence, but they don't fit my personal taste (especially new Duna), just don't feel right for me. Even though they might be more realistic looking, IMO it's just comes down to the matter of taste. So if it is indeed possible, could some one give me a tip on how to achieve that please? Thank you!

Once again, I fully realize that you do this for free and the only motivation is passion, so don't get my comment as if I am "unsatisfied customer that thinks he's entitled to an answer or some kind of warranty". That is definitely not what I meant. My thought process might be lost cause of my shallow English skills (not my native language). 

Thank you for all the time and work you've put into making this!

Edited by DPOHbl4
typos

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Did anyone else come across this glitch when using Engine Lighting with Parallax?

lnzwwWX.png

Update: I disabled tessellation on Earth in an attempt to fix the issue but now I have weird black voids around the space center. Shouldn't I be able to disable Parallax on any body without issues?

CIFnVIE.png