[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Can anyone help me with problem above? I should be able to have the 3d rocks as shown in the thread earlier.

Specs: 16gb ram, ryzen 5 3600, rx 5700 xt 8gb

edit: I reinstalled the mod and somehow I got rocks now. But still doesnt look right.

BQWv4UO.png

fAHz6yS.png

Edited by Kovac

31 minutes ago, Kovac said:

Can anyone help me with problem above? I should be able to have the 3d rocks as shown in the thread earlier.

If you are looking for the 3D rocks that can be walked on, they were removed from the mod a few updates ago to avoid Kraken attack. If you want MOAR tesselation, there is a config file in the mod's folder where you can tune some parameters, including range.

19 hours ago, vinix said:

If you are looking for the 3D rocks that can be walked on, they were removed from the mod a few updates ago to avoid Kraken attack. If you want MOAR tesselation, there is a config file in the mod's folder where you can tune some parameters, including range.

I mean I dont have defined 3d features like you see in the pics on page 48 for example. It all looks flattened to me, not like you see in this post; 

You mean these 3d features have been removed so one should expect a flattened 2d surface texture?

Genius stuff, this. 

I scanned the thread but didn't see this specifically covered here yet. This may be a Kopernicus question.

I want to try kop expansion mod for the footprints, would it conflict with the Kopernicus  version required for Parallax? If so, would parallax work with just this version of Kop? Anyone have working footprints in a parallax install? 

On 11/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, Invaderdave said:

Genius stuff, this. 

I scanned the thread but didn't see this specifically covered here yet. This may be a Kopernicus question.

I want to try kop expansion mod for the footprints, would it conflict with the Kopernicus  version required for Parallax? If so, would parallax work with just this version of Kop? Anyone have working footprints in a parallax install? 

I've done some work on this, and footprints in parallax would require a wildly different model that might lag significantly.

so i used this mod in the past and i was gonna re install it but i remembered that with astronomers visual pack the lights on kerbin get very glitchy with this mod installed, is there any way to remove kerbins settings without breaking anything? i had a problem after deleting kerbins parallax textures where it went entirely white.

I'm new to this mod..  confused about the warning when KSP loads that says this version of KSP is not supported. I'm using Parallax 1.3.1 on KSP 1.12.2. CKAN says they're compatible. The OP says: 

You can download Parallax for KSP 1.12.x here:

Parallax: https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases

But the latest version there is also 1.3.1. So why's there a version warning?  Simple mistake? 

Thanks. Hope this works - photos look great.

41 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

I'm new to this mod..  confused about the warning when KSP loads that says this version of KSP is not supported. I'm using Parallax 1.3.1 on KSP 1.12.2. CKAN says they're compatible. The OP says: 

You can download Parallax for KSP 1.12.x here:

There's a post on the previous page which suggests you can ignore it.  Like you, I'm new to the mod and I get the same msg.  I ignore it and Parallax seems to work fine for me except the flickering on the EVE (?) cities.  I haven't discovered how to remove them.  I disabled them in the EVE settings dialog but they continue to appear.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:26 AM, Krazy1 said:

So why's there a version warning?  Simple mistake? 

Nah, just a hard-coded version checker caught by surprise by a compatible future release:

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/blob/master/_ParallaxInstallationChecker.cs#L29

string[] supportedVersions = { "1.11", "1.10" };    //If you're decompiling to change the version, don't bother. There's no lock, this is simply advice

This looks very good on Mun. Just a general KSP gripe... I wish the transitions in surface geometry detail level changes were smoothed out. In orbit, big terrain features just instantly blink into existence every second or so, combined with a jarring framerate stutter. I guess everyone sees this? The improved textures with this mod just make it a more obvious need for improvement. I suppose it's in the core game and we're stuck with it? Isn't there some sort of geometric detail temporal antialiasing? :confused:

Hey all, I hope you had a merry Christmas. I've been working with compute shaders and I found a way to generate huge amounts of points that lie on a mesh. The application? Grass:

unknown.png

Pictured: Unity Editor

I hope to get it running in-game but so far this is more of a "proof-of-concept". Definitely not inspired by the grass coming to KSP2 ;) 

This grass uses GPU instancing rather than a geometry shader, so it will run faster than most normal applications. It doesn't use billboards either! Currently, these are proper 3D meshes being drawn at different positions and scales. This means that the application for this is not just limited to grass, but for rocks and small surface objects as well!

Edited by Gameslinx

On 12/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, Gameslinx said:

Hey all, I hope you had a merry Christmas. I've been working with compute shaders and I found a way to generate huge amounts of points that lie on a mesh. The application? Grass:

I hope to get it running in-game but so far this is more of a "proof-of-concept". Definitely not inspired by the grass coming to KSP2 ;) 

This grass uses GPU instancing rather than a geometry shader, so it will run faster than most normal applications. It doesn't use billboards either! Currently, these are proper 3D meshes being drawn at different positions and scales. This means that the application for this is not just limited to grass, but for rocks and small surface objects as well!

LOVE LOVE This Mod- Keep up the great work!