[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 2/28/2022 at 3:15 PM, Biggen said:

Yup it works.  I've been meaning to ask @Gameslinx if new versions of Parallax will remove that error message.

It will, I just never updated for the sole purpose of removing that message because it still works (and the title of this forum page says so :P )

On 2/28/2022 at 6:49 PM, x170doom said:

could this be causing the issue?

The wireframe bundle just contains a shader I use for debugging, which I forgot to remove when pushing this release. It won't cause any problems not being loaded

On 2/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, TaintedLion said:

I tried manually installing, still no displacement.

iB5g1qR.png

Dunno whether it's the RSS config. I'm using this fork of RSShttps://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/tree/parallax

Is your terrain shader quality set to Ultra? If it isn't, Parallax disables displacement. There's nothing wrong in the log, but I can't check your shader quality using it

Edited by Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Is your terrain shader quality set to Ultra? If it isn't, Parallax disables displacement. There's nothing wrong in the log, but I can't check your shader quality using it

it wasn't however I have set it to ultra and still no dice, terrain still looks identical to stock (zero change whatsoever)

1 hour ago, x170doom said:

it wasn't however I have set it to ultra and still no dice, terrain still looks identical to stock (zero change whatsoever)

Send a copy of your Settings.cfg as well as your KSP.log

1 minute ago, x170doom said:

here: (they have both been converted to google docs files so they can be read. there contents are identical though

settings.cfg:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fPnIa54rL7411F8QTigRXv0tfNIegkzMFrOOSBZO7_c/edit?usp=sharing

KSP.log:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZNjUAiVeUjl0ieFKsbZqbrC8SL9xNNaG/view?usp=sharing

Cheers, I forgot to add, can you also send GameData/Parallax/Config/ParallaxGlobal.cfg?

only other error i found in the log file was this, not sure if this could cause parallax to fail though 

[EXC 12:11:59.934] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Parallax.ParallaxInFlightOperations.Update () (at <cb0720cb81c84273b2cb8a73f9c5d3d9>:0)

UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)

UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

How do I change this in settings.cfg?

Cuz Kopernicus/RSS has a preset terrain shader quality I think.

not to my knowlage, try in the ksp settings menu>graphics>terrain shader quality.

if that option isn't there then do a controll+F search in the cfg file for "terrain shader quality" and type "ultra" or "Ultra" (i don't know if it is case sensitve or not so copy the format that is allready there) after the "=" sign. make sure to leave a space between the equals and the text

39 minutes ago, x170doom said:

not to my knowlage, try in the ksp settings menu>graphics>terrain shader quality.

if that option isn't there then do a controll+F search in the cfg file for "terrain shader quality" and type "ultra" or "Ultra" (i don't know if it is case sensitve or not so copy the format that is allready there) after the "=" sign. make sure to leave a space between the equals and the text

Yeah I just tried that, no displacement still.

22 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Cuz Kopernicus/RSS has a preset terrain shader quality I think.

Kopernicus can be set to enforce a shader quality, however it will inform you with big text if it is doing so.  It does not by default, and if RSS is using this, you should get a big text message about it.

Running Parallax 1.3.1 on KSP 1.12.3 with the latest Kopernicus BE installed as instructed, the game freezes on new launch on Year 999 Day 499, with a new save. I ruled out the possibility of either Parallax or Kopernicus conflicts with other mods by only having those two mods installed in GameData, but it still happened. Log file attached below. Same thing happens with Kopernicus stable branch.

FBsBj3I.jpg

log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c_1OrJsvYr1sXViGjn07HoqnZeaQQWjs/view?usp=sharing

Edited by henrylzy

40 minutes ago, henrylzy said:

Running Parallax 1.3.1 on KSP 1.12.3 with the latest Kopernicus BE installed as instructed, the game freezes on new launch on Year 999 Day 499, with a new save. I ruled out the possibility of either Parallax or Kopernicus conflicts with other mods by only having those two mods installed in GameData, but it still happened. Log file attached below. Same thing happens with Kopernicus stable branch.

FBsBj3I.jpg

log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c_1OrJsvYr1sXViGjn07HoqnZeaQQWjs/view?usp=sharing

Not sure it's the cause of your error, but Kopernicus BE is mothballed / severely outdated now due to it not being updated.  Use stable.

Edited by R-T-B

On 2/13/2022 at 6:23 PM, ndiver said:

Hello,

I installed Parallax and its stock textures, and get curiously extremely yellowish colors for Kerbin, and the texture granularity seems really large.
This is a stock KSP with just Kopernicus 81 and Parallax 1.3.1 installed as a check, and I have the same colors on a modded KSP:
captur12.jpg

Is it normal? Did I missed something? I'm comparing with this post as reference:

Is Parallax running well with Spectra?

For my problem of yellowish color, I was using the wrong version of Parallax, the 1.3.1 instead of 1.3.0

This is with the 1.3.0:

Spoiler

captur14.jpg

1 hour ago, ndiver said:

For my problem of yellowish color, I was using the wrong version of Parallax, the 1.3.1 instead of 1.3.0

This is not a Parallax issue. The problem is caused by your terrain shader quality being set to Low. You will want to set it to Ultra (for terrain tessellation and displacement) or High (No tessellation or displacement). On the Low setting, almost all of the bells and whistles that come with Parallax are disabled

10 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

This is not a Parallax issue. The problem is caused by your terrain shader quality being set to Low. You will want to set it to Ultra (for terrain tessellation and displacement) or High (No tessellation or displacement). On the Low setting, almost all of the bells and whistles that come with Parallax are disabled

I've taken the picture with these settings, the Terrain Shader Quality was set to Ultra on the picture above:

captur16.jpg

I even did a test on a stock KSP with just the requirements of Parallax to crosscheck, and had strictly the same result.

Edited by ndiver

1 minute ago, ndiver said:

I've taken the picture with these settings, the Terrain Shader was set to Ultra on the picture above:

The first picture where you are using 1.3.1 - This picture:

captur12.jpg

Was not taken with the shader quality set to Ultra. The yellowish colour is a result of using the low quality Parallax shader which only enables when your shader quality is set to Low in the main menu settings.

Back on my test KSP, with Parallax 1.3.0 (I removed the 1.3.1).

The folder to show no other mod:

Spoiler

captur20.jpg

And these overall settings (just playing with the Terrain Shader Quality):

Spoiler

captur17.jpg

With Shaders set to Ultra:

Spoiler

captur18.jpg

With Shaders set to Low:

Spoiler

captur19.jpg

Edit: And back with Parallax 1.3.1 with Shaders to Ultra, the yellowish color is back:

Spoiler

captur21.jpg

Parallax 1.3.1 with Shaders to Low:

Spoiler

captur23.jpg

Edited by ndiver

15 hours ago, henrylzy said:

Stable branch with Parallax caused the same error.

Yeah that's why I said I'm not sure it's the origin of your error.  Just pointing out that it's not a good idea to use bleeding edge in general.