[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 4/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, Gameslinx said:

Kerbin is almost done. I've made some huge optimizations to how the geometry is rendered and now I've managed to get a much better density of objects. Technical stuff below, but the picture first!

iaUkiJK.png

Ironically, I was limited by draw calls which this scatter system is supposed to reduce. Before the above optimizations, foliage was being rendered on a per-quad basis - each quad being its own draw call. Now I've rewritten part of the compute shader responsible for culling so that it combines every object's position from every quad and writes them to a single buffer which is used to render from. This took a scene with much less foliage than the one above from ~110 FPS to 160+ with a significant CPU usage reduction. Safe to say, it was worth the effort!

Wow. There's no way this is actually Kerbal Space Program 1!

Also, how did you learn how to do all this?

22 minutes ago, Jefftheguyperson said:

Also, how did you learn how to do all this?

Everything I have learnt has been through articles online and various other github projects where I've been able to see how other people's code works. From there I've pretty much learned how to do everything myself over the last few years. The unity documentation is a really good place to start. Some people here on the forums have also been really helpful :) 

4 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

I don't know if this is just a me issue, but for some reason it dose not recognize  stock textures

Can you try reinstalling? It looks like Kopernicus hasn't been installed properly from your screenshot but all the relevant folders are there in your GameData

Edited by Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Garuda said:

Has there been a cause figured out for this yet? 

Disable or enable scatterer's depth buffer mode setting to resolve this. I can't remember which setting it's supposed to be set to. Also ensure merge depth pre-pass is disabled 

Based on the pictures you've shown for the next update to the mod, I'm very excited about it, seeing trees and grass, (hopefully other formations on other bodies too!) do you have any idea roughly when you'll be ready to release it?

Also, if I start a new ksp campaign now with the current version of parallax, when you update it, will that updated version work with my current save? Or will I have to start my game over? Cheers :)

1 hour ago, CatKing1179 said:

For some reason the displacement is not working 

I require your settings.cfg folder (terrain shader quality must be set to 3, or Ultra in the main menu. Your terrain quality must also be set to high in the main menu)

30 minutes ago, darkplasmaray said:

if I start a new ksp campaign now with the current version of parallax, when you update it, will that updated version work with my current save? Or will I have to start my game over? Cheers :)

You can use an existing save

7 minutes ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

I can't wait either for the new update with foliage! It's ready when it's ready, I guess, but a rough ETA would be awesome, too. 

So, which plants will be on the Mun :D ?

I can't really give an ETA because I'm working through some bugs slowly. One I've solved those, I can give a better estimate

4 hours ago, MoeKitsune said:

Let's say that, for example, I don't want the Eve foliage in my install when the next update rolls around, How easy will it be to get rid of Eve's scatter?

You'll have the option to disable all the scatters (which means every planet), or you'd need to delete the config for Eve 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:03 PM, Gameslinx said:

Kerbin is almost done. I've made some huge optimizations to how the geometry is rendered and now I've managed to get a much better density of objects. Technical stuff below, but the picture first!

iaUkiJK.png

Ironically, I was limited by draw calls which this scatter system is supposed to reduce. Before the above optimizations, foliage was being rendered on a per-quad basis - each quad being its own draw call. Now I've rewritten part of the compute shader responsible for culling so that it combines every object's position from every quad and writes them to a single buffer which is used to render from. This took a scene with much less foliage than the one above from ~110 FPS to 160+ with a significant CPU usage reduction. Safe to say, it was worth the effort!

Holy that looks amazing! I'm kind of new to this mod, what is the scatter system? Also can't wait for this, definitely gonna consider donating to support this!

19 minutes ago, winterblast4 said:

Holy that looks amazing! I'm kind of new to this mod, what is the scatter system?

In the settings page on the main menu you can enable what's called "terrain scatters" which allows trees and rocks to show up on Kerbin and the various other planets. That's what I've been calling the existing "Scatter system". I'm developing something that does the same job, but much better than what we currently have - A way to place thousands of objects on the planet around the craft