[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

19 minutes ago, Just a random person said:

How is the performance of the foliage update compared to the current parallax? Will it fry my computer?

I am targeting a minimum of 140fps at 1440p with Scatterer and Parallax installed. The impact should not be too much more than what it is currently. The impact of the foliage is much less than the tessellation itself, so you can always disable tessellation when you run the foliage if you want a similar framerate

8 minutes ago, Jovzin said:

One  thing if I may ask.

Do I need to download the Parallax Stock textures if I am using visual mod such as AVP ? 

If you are using Parallax with AVP, yes

18 hours ago, Jovzin said:

One  thing if I may ask.

Do I need to download the Parallax Stock textures if I am using visual mod such as AVP ? 

Yes, you'd need to use the Parallax Stock Textures, as AVP doesn't provide Parallax textures.

One issue you'll encounter if you use both Parallax and AVP is a lot of texture flickering on Kerbin. This happens because they're both trying to apply textures at ground level on Kerbin - AVP is applying city lights textures, and Parallax has its ground textures. 

You'll need to decide which effect you want to keep, the city lights or the Parallax textures, and make some modifications.

To keep the Parallax textures for Kerbin and ditch the city lights: delete the folder GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\AVP_Configs\Textures\CityLights.

To keep the city lights for Kerbin and ditch Parallax textures for Kerbin (while keeping Parallax active for other bodies): opening the file GameData\Parallax_StockTextures\ParallaxTerrain.cfg in a text editor and deleting the Kerbin section (lines 3-42) should take care of it.

Edited by UnanimousCoward
Corrected error in path.

12 hours ago, UnanimousCoward said:

To keep the Parallax textures for Kerbin and ditch the city lights: delete the folder GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\AVP_Configs.

Wouldn't this blow away all of AVP's environmental effects on all bodies? I think the flickering is just with city lights on Kerbin, so you can just delete (or rename) this file: GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\AVP_Configs\Stock\CityLights.cfg

Edited by OldMold

15 hours ago, Jovzin said:

One  thing if I may ask.

Yes.

Note that Parallax is not compatible with the city lights textures included in AVP, so you will need to remove or disable them.

Edit: Duplicate post. See answer by @UnanimousCoward  above.

3 hours ago, OldMold said:

Wouldn't this blow away all of AVP's environmental effects on all bodies? I think the flickering is just with city lights on Kerbin, so you can just delete (or rename) this file: GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\AVP_Configs\Stock\CityLights.cfg

This is actually what I normally do. You can also go into GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\AVP_Configs\Textures and delete the CityLights folder as well.

Alternatively, without deleting anything, you can just go into the EVE control panel available when in the KSC view in game, and just disable the city lights effect.

Edited by fleventeen

6 hours ago, OldMold said:

Yeah, copy/paste error. It should have been "the folder GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\AVP_Configs\Textures\CityLights".

On 4/27/2022 at 4:53 PM, UnanimousCoward said:

To keep the city lights for Kerbin and ditch Parallax textures for Kerbin (while keeping Parallax active for other bodies): opening the file GameData\Parallax_StockTextures\ParallaxTerrain.cfg in a text editor and deleting the Kerbin section (lines 3-42) should take care of it.

I want to keep the city lights.

Doing what you said does not work. It keep flickering in my game. Do you have another solution please ?

On 4/29/2022 at 3:47 AM, Lide said:

I want to keep the city lights.

Doing what you said does not work. It keep flickering in my game. Do you have another solution please ?

idk if there is a fix for this but ksp with Parallax, scatterer, and eve look much better without city lights 

EDIT: Resolved, see below.

Hi :) First of all, thanks for this awesome mod! I wanted to try it out with RSS but I don't seem to be getting any displacement.

I went through this topic and seem to be having the same issues as @TaintedLion and @x170doom but I couldn't figure out how these guys ended up resolving it.

I've checked and I have TERRAIN_SHADER_QUALITY = 3 in Settings.cfg; I've tried setting Terrain Detail to High in game (I don't know what's the command name in settings.cfg) but it keeps reverting to "New Text". I think this is related to how RSS' textures work.

I am using PRVE-64k as visual mod & KS3P for post-processing - I don't think these have anything to do with it but just in case wanted to mention it.

I've checked the log and found no errors or exceptions related - do you think you could help me out figuring this out?

I'm attaching KSP.log, settings.cfg and parallaxglobal.cfg - hopefully this helps. https://file.io/vGKDEEpIKUk7

Spoiler

screenshot1.png

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hypervelocity

I don't think RSS has any textures or configs for Parallax. You'll need to create your own or wait until someone else does. Parallax out of the box only supports stock planets, and there are also some other mods that come with Parallax support (afaik only Galaxies Unbound and Beyond Home do this)

Edit: just looked on Github and RSS does have some Parallax configs, however they use the Parallax stock textures - do you have a Parallax_StockTextures folder in your GameData?

Edited by Grimmas

14 hours ago, Grimmas said:

I don't think RSS has any textures or configs for Parallax. You'll need to create your own or wait until someone else does. Parallax out of the box only supports stock planets, and there are also some other mods that come with Parallax support (afaik only Galaxies Unbound and Beyond Home do this)

Edit: just looked on Github and RSS does have some Parallax configs, however they use the Parallax stock textures - do you have a Parallax_StockTextures folder in your GameData?

Yup, I have installed both Parallax and Parallax Stock Textures! :) I installed version 1.3.1 via CKAN. Upon launching the game, I see a pop up message saying Parallax has met its dependencies so no errors there as well.

EDIT: RESOLVED - RSS Master Branch on github has Parallax configs but latest release version 18.5.0 does not. I was using v18.5.0 of course, via CKAN. My bad.

Edited by hypervelocity

I dont seem to be getting 3d textures (displacement) on the surface on any planets using ksp 1.12.3, Ive tried several reinstalls of kopernicus and parallax, it dosent seem to be working and the terrain is flat, i am using avp but i have disabled city lights, ive even tried stock and the 3d terrain dosen't work as well 

Edit: going to try installing it with ckan right now and if it dosen't work i will let yall know.

2nd edit: it didnt seem to work, the surface is still flat.

Edited by YeaiMakeMods

4 hours ago, YeaiMakeMods said:

I dont seem to be getting 3d textures (displacement) on the surface on any planets using ksp 1.12.3, Ive tried several reinstalls of kopernicus and parallax, it dosent seem to be working and the terrain is flat, i am using avp but i have disabled city lights, ive even tried stock and the 3d terrain dosen't work as well 

Edit: going to try installing it with ckan right now and if it dosen't work i will let yall know.

2nd edit: it didnt seem to work, the surface is still flat.

Exactly the same, terrain shader is set to ULTRA and it just won't get the displacement.

8 hours ago, YeaiMakeMods said:

I dont seem to be getting 3d textures

3 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Exactly the same, terrain shader is set to ULTRA

This seems to be happening to a bunch of people randomly and I have no idea what is causing it.

Double check that your terrain shader quality is set to Ultra, and that the "TERRAIN_SHADER_QUALITY" in your Settings.cfg is equal to 3. 

Then, make sure that your terrain quality (separate setting) is set to High. If it says "new text", you need to delete settings.cfg and apply your settings again.

Let me know if this helps

On 4/12/2022 at 8:03 AM, Gameslinx said:

Kerbin is almost done. I've made some huge optimizations to how the geometry is rendered and now I've managed to get a much better density of objects. Technical stuff below, but the picture first!

iaUkiJK.png

Ironically, I was limited by draw calls which this scatter system is supposed to reduce. Before the above optimizations, foliage was being rendered on a per-quad basis - each quad being its own draw call. Now I've rewritten part of the compute shader responsible for culling so that it combines every object's position from every quad and writes them to a single buffer which is used to render from. This took a scene with much less foliage than the one above from ~110 FPS to 160+ with a significant CPU usage reduction. Safe to say, it was worth the effort!

This is breathless. Now we have a explanation where the birds are from. So Gameslinx is doing realistic terrain and blackrack (scatter dev) is doing real volumetric clouds.  Can't wait for the results. There is no need for ksp 2 now. I kind of want you to release the kerbin version cause kerbin has life but other planets are dead and empty also are there buildings implemented in this? or only just nature.

sorry for bad grammar, i don't live in the US or EN

There are other planets that we have seen, namely Laythe and Eve. It seems that a few of the planets have life, but of course I’m confident that people will develop configs to change that in many ways. Here are the posts with the planets:

I’ll take this time to also ask: @Gameslinx, how is the development of these amazing new surfaces going? I saw previously that you said you were working on a tricky bug, is that still the case or are you working on more surfaces?

7 hours ago, MrPoker said:

I kind of want you to release the kerbin version cause kerbin has life but other planets are dead and empty also are there buildings implemented in this? or only just nature.

Eve has always felt alien to me so I wanted to go that route with its foliage and 'fantastical' nature. Laythe has a breathable atmosphere so I wanted to give it primitive nature; some mushrooms, grass and ferns. Otherwise, they would be kind of boring with just different rocks. I like to think that the mod has a lot of potential and I don't want it wasted by just modelling a load of stones

There are no buildings because the placement of the objects is completely random. Towns or cities have order and regularity to them which isn't possible with how this mod generates the object positions. Individual buildings that spawn rarely are possible, but it would be much more efficient to just use the existing scatter system. This mod isn't for objects that spawn rarely, and is most efficient with a lot of objects.

43 minutes ago, t_v said:

how is the development of these amazing new surfaces going? I saw previously that you said you were working on a tricky bug, is that still the case or are you working on more surfaces?

I have 9 planets/moons finished, so I am over halfway. I've fixed the bugs I talked about previously but I'm working on reducing the CPU usage now. I can reach ~160fps but I'm CPU limited after that where I would otherwise be able to easily reach ~220fps. Since that's a big performance potential I want to work on that before I finish the other planets.

22 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Eve has always felt alien to me so I wanted to go that route with its foliage and 'fantastical' nature. Laythe has a breathable atmosphere so I wanted to give it primitive nature; some mushrooms, grass and ferns. Otherwise, they would be kind of boring with just different rocks. I like to think that the mod has a lot of potential and I don't want it wasted by just modelling a load of stones

There are no buildings because the placement of the objects is completely random. Towns or cities have order and regularity to them which isn't possible with how this mod generates the object positions. Individual buildings that spawn rarely are possible, but it would be much more efficient to just use the existing scatter system. This mod isn't for objects that spawn rarely, and is most efficient with a lot of objects.

I have 9 planets/moons finished, so I am over halfway. I've fixed the bugs I talked about previously but I'm working on reducing the CPU usage now. I can reach ~160fps but I'm CPU limited after that where I would otherwise be able to easily reach ~220fps. Since that's a big performance potential I want to work on that before I finish the other planets.

Oh, Thanks for the information. 

Were getting KSP 3 in KSP 1. KSP 2 is useless at this point.

EDIT: if he put this in his patreon, I'll pay. 

Edited by MrPoker

So, as much as I love the "lively" direction you're going with Eve and Laythe, do you think there could be an option to have no life on these planets for those who want a more realistic solar system? The Fermi Paradox terrifies me, and I'd rather be safe in the knowledge that Kerbals are alone in their universe...

1 hour ago, RyGuy_McFly said:

do you think there could be an option to have no life on these planets for those who want a more realistic solar system

Yep just delete the configs for those planets, or remove the ones that have life, I suppose

13 minutes ago, MrPoker said:

Wait, what is the parallax surface under R from the Parallax logo? I would like to see a swamp-ish place. 

That surface is on the planet Hydrus in the Beyond Home planet pack. @ballisticfox0is working to update it to the most recent Parallax version

Does Parallax conflict maybe in some way with Stock Visual Enhancements? I'm getting a slight flicker on the surface of the Mun now and Minmus (new career, haven't gotten further for now).

And for some reason my map view is shaking, with all icons and orbits (but I think that is just an old bug with no solution).

On 5/11/2022 at 1:54 AM, Sheppard said:

Does Parallax conflict maybe in some way with Stock Visual Enhancements? I'm getting a slight flicker on the surface of the Mun now and Minmus (new career, haven't gotten further for now).

And for some reason my map view is shaking, with all icons and orbits (but I think that is just an old bug with no solution).

That is new TAA anti aliasing from the latest scaterrer release. Check that thread for how to disable it.