[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

55 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

If you get the time I would recommend you try an install with just Parallax installed to see what your baseline performance is. You're the only one reporting this, but if more reports come in of this happening I will be able to determine what might be causing it

After finding outsthat Harmony is a new dependency of Kopernicus, I ran the game with AVP 8k, TUFX, Parallax, EVE and scatterer. FPS is around 25 with no scatters on screen, and 10-13 when panning the camera around. 

Verdict: scatters have a considerable performance impact (who knew) but somewhere in my massive modlist, one or more things are making my game unplayable, but only while looking at scatters.

3 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

OPM Parallax has been hotfixed, scatters will be out in the next few days.

Are the OPM scatters unique like the stock planets, or just mun rocks painted whatever color necessary?

2 minutes ago, Socowez said:

After finding outsthat Harmony is a new dependency of Kopernicus, I ran the game with AVP 8k, TUFX, Parallax, EVE and scatterer. FPS is around 25 with no scatters on screen, and 10-13 when panning the camera around. 

Verdict: scatters have a considerable performance impact (who knew) but somewhere in my massive modlist, one or more things are making my game unplayable, but only while looking at scatters.

Have you tried running it with terrain quality set to high? That disabled tessellation which boosted me past 60fps

3 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

This is still unbelievably low. @ballisticfox0can run 30-40 fps at 4k on a 2070 with the same visuals as you. Something else must be at play here surely

If it helps, my screen resolution is 2560x1080. Thought I'd mention since you said something about ballisticfox's resolution

6 hours ago, zangonoid said:

The big rock just to the left of my rover did not have collisions, while the small rock my Kerbal is standing on did have collisions. Hope that helps.

the rock to the left of your rover is a stock scatter, and as such it won't have collisions.   If that's throwing you for a loop you can turn the stock scatters off in the settings.  Probably should anyway since there's really no need for them if you're using Parallax.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

Congrats on this release Linx. Really something else. I never would have thought this game could achieve this state. My only question is.. Do you or anyone recommend any visual packs to go along with Parallax? Ive been running AVP for the longest time. Id like to try something new and less resource intensive. I'm kinda out of the loop in terms of the new hotness.

Edited by Motokid600

26 minutes ago, Atsusa said:

Hello, I'm wondering why it has strange afterimage on the stone generated by Parallax  when I rotating my camera aound?:blink:

After image? You might be referring to the fading in. It's intended and it really helps with immersion strangely enough - Much better than things popping in which can be quite distracting 

But this sounds like something else potentially? A video is required!

1 hour ago, Socowez said:

Are the OPM scatters unique like the stock planets, or just mun rocks painted whatever color necessary?

For the more minor bodies I’m just going to take rocks from other bodies, for the more unique destinations I’ll try to get some unique scatters in.

i completely deleted and reinstalled all the mods folders and it does now work when you are controlling a vessel. but it does not work from the KSC view when you first open the game. is this intentional or is something wrong?

Edited by minerbat

Hi everybody, and congratulation for the release guys!

I was about to testing this, but after install it via CKAN (so i assumed the 5th step in the instructions is not needed anymore), ksp didnt load the main menu screen anymore. The game load without any warning or issue until the menu, then i get just a black screen with loading icon spinning at a good frame rate at least. should i provide a log file? Anyone else experienced this?
Thx in advance...

Incredible work @Gameslinx. Absolutely incredible.

My only complaint is that the fade between the distant (seemingly darker with Scatterer) billboards and real models is quite distracting. At least on Kerbin. I'm looking at the global config now to see what I can do with it.

I've a 3090 so I'm ready to push this all the way out. 

ja6RplS.png

Overdue Edit: I rammed the LOD multiplyer up and it's nice and clean.

Edited by Moose

7 hours ago, Adiri said:

It only works on JNSQ because some of the planet names are the same. Otherwise it has no support

What GPU do you have? Parallax isn't very CPU hungry

Yeah Linx suggested that'd be the case as it's the same system in essence, just retextured and such. Thing is, do the Parallax textures override the rather beautiful JNSQ textures on places like Minmus? As Galileo and such made the prettiest Minmus there is, it'd look INSANE with this new Parallax. 

23 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

I won’t lie, I am not good at computers. How do I figure out my GPU?

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE to bring up the Task Manager. If it says "more details" at the bottom click that.

The go to the performance tab an it'll list your GPUs at the bottom (after all the discs, cpu and memory), with their names.

EQvKjt2.png

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Incredible work @Gameslinx. Absolutely incredible.

My only complaint is that the fade between the distant (seemingly darker with Scatterer) billboards and real models is quite distracting. At least on Kerbin. I'm looking at the global config now to see what I can do with it.

I've a 3090 so I'm ready to push this all the way out. 

ja6RplS.png

Is it not these?

rangeMultiplier = 1.0                        //Adjust the max range (and range of LODs) of the scatters
        lodRangeMultiplier = 1.0                    //Adjust the range at which LODs change

6 minutes ago, kerbnub said:

Is it not these?

rangeMultiplier = 1.0                        //Adjust the max range (and range of LODs) of the scatters
        lodRangeMultiplier = 1.0                    //Adjust the range at which LODs change

Indeed it is, and I rammed the latter up a ways. Helped loads.