[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

After image? You might be referring to the fading in. It's intended and it really helps with immersion strangely enough - Much better than things popping in which can be quite distracting 

But this sounds like something else potentially? A video is required!

question, i installed the newest version and all of my kk stuff disappeared, any fix?  

11 minutes ago, AtomicRocketBooster said:

Question about enabling collisions: I tried using a MM patch instead of hard-coding the cfg, but it doesn't seem like the changes were actually applied - I think the cfg gets read before MM gets a chance to run. 

Has anyone else gotten the MM approach to work?

(EDIT): Ah, I did try using MM patch, but I only checked that the value was changed (in ModuleManager.ConfigCache). I've yet to actually _collide_, so it's probably as you say, a MM patch may be too late. Possibly changing FINAL to FIRST (?), but that may be too late.

The approach I use for such occasions is to use Unix tools like "diff" and "patch" to automatically hand edit files - I use a big bash shell script to automate CKAN and GitHub installs (provisioning lite for KSP). I'm used to doing such automation for work. Failing that, just hand edit the file, and write it down, and be happy :-D  For most games I typically have a text file where I write down how to install stuff (games, OS, apps) that can't easily be automated - too many times I've had to reinstall windows and that saves time.

Edited by 610yesnolovely

10 minutes ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

Is there a specific program I need to edit .cfg files? 

This is not the case, but if you plan on modifying several mods, a lot of parts/patches, etc, consider getting Notepad++

11 minutes ago, 610yesnolovely said:

Yes, I did and I posted a forum post in this thread. If you write a MM patch, check the contents of GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache - this is the result of MM running. This is how I debug MM (it's a *big* file so use a decent text editor).

Yep, so I did exactly that (and checked the cache to make sure things went through):

Spoiler
UrlConfig
{
	parentUrl = Parallax/Config/ParallaxGlobal.cfg
	ParallaxGlobalConfig
	{
		TessellationSettings
		{
			edgeLength = 12
			range = 50
			maxTessellation = 64
		}
		ReflectionSettings
		{
			reflections = false
			refreshRate = 64
			timeSlicing = IndividualFaces
			resolution = 64
		}
		LightingSettings
		{
			tessellateLighting = true
		}
		ScatterSettings
		{
			enableScatters = true
			rangeMultiplier = 1.0
			lodRangeMultiplier = 1.0
			densityMultiplier = 1.0
			frustumCulling = true
			computeShaderUpdateMultiplier = 1.0
		}
		TextureSettings
		{
			terrainTextureQualityMultiplier = 1.0
			scatterTextureQualityMultiplier = 1.0
			maxTextureResolution = 8192
		}
		CollisionSettings
		{
			onlyQueryControllable = true
			enableCollisions = true
		}
	}
}

but when the game starts up, two things happen:

• The message on startup says "Colliders Enabled: False" (This message appears before MM even runs)
  • None of the colliders actually seem to collide in-game

Hard-code edits seem to apply.

This is leading me think that the collider settings are pulled before any patches get applied.

19 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

"You're the only one reporting this, but if more reports come in of this happening I will be able to determine what might be causing it..."

7 hours ago, Angra said:

Hello! Hope this is the correct place and manner to post this. Been using parallax without any issue for a while now, however since the update I get terrible performance on Kerbin even though im running on a RTX2070 . I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, both through CKAN and manually. Highest fps i can achieve is 20ish. Tried it out on the Mun but strangely enough it runs fine there. Is it possibly a conflict issue with another mod? Havent had this issue on previous versions of the mod; any help or suggestions would be appreciated :D

Pretty please?

Also, KSP.log from the test trial with only parallax (and AVP, Scatterer, and EVE ). The log is much smaller this time, so if there is anything to investigate, it would be in here. 

EDIT: Reloaded the game today, this time with collisions set to false. Relatively smooth 35 FPS all around. Not sure why this is the case.
EDIT 2: it was because my density multiplier was set to 1 when it should have been 6.25 to compensate for rescale. That could be it folks, performance loss with density multiplier because of rescale

Edited by Socowez
I'm a derp

10 hours ago, Moose said:

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE to bring up the Task Manager. If it says "more details" at the bottom click that.

The go to the performance tab an it'll list your GPUs at the bottom (after all the discs, cpu and memory), with their names.

EQvKjt2.png

I would imagine that Intel(R) UHD Graphics won't cut it for GPU.

I have an issue where the new scatter is not showing up at all. It's basically this issue: https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/issues/84

It's fresh 1.12.3.3273 KSP install with a few mods like the latest EVE, Scatterer, and Kopernicus.

I installed the 3 Parallax files as directed.

As per the instructions, ensured that terrain detail was set to High, terrain quality set to Ultra. On startup, Parallax reports these settings and there are no error messages or other indications of an issue.

I started KSP and used the C+A+F11 cheats to move my ship to the mountains or to the Mun, and there was no scatter like I've seen in the screenshots here, just the default rocks and low polygon trees.

I must be missing something obvious. One strange thing I noticed was the scatter zip contained the folder Parallax_StockTexures, and subfolder in called _Scatters, but I read that this is expected, the two texture file downloads are intended to be merged into Parallax_StockTexures. Any help appreciated.

Edited by Starfire70

37 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

I must be missing something obvious. One strange thing I noticed was the scatter zip contained the folder Parallax_StockTexures, and subfolder in called _Scatters, but I read that this is expected, the two texture file downloads are intended to be merged into Parallax_StockTexures. Any help appreciated.

See troubleshooting section in the OP which shows how your Parallax_StockTextures folder should look after installing

1 hour ago, TheDicko said:

I do prefer the eve (the planet) textures without the plants and bubbles etc however. Is this easy to configure ? Or do I need to install older eve (the planet) textures from a previous parallax release?

You can delete Eve.cfg in Parallax_StockTextures/_Scatters/Configs/

1 hour ago, Socowez said:

it was because my density multiplier was set to 1 when it should have been 6.25 to compensate for rescale. That could be it folks, performance loss with density multiplier because of rescale

Are you absolutely sure that the performance loss was caused by... a lower density? I would expect a density of 6.25 to cause more issues. Please let me know, as some people are experiencing this on GPUs where they should not be having problems!

7 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Are you absolutely sure that the performance loss was caused by... a lower density? I would expect a density of 6.25 to cause more issues. Please let me know, as some people are experiencing this on GPUs where they should not be having problems!

Sorry, badly worded message, I meant the opposite. To compensate for rescale, I set it to 6.25 density, then came extreme FPS issues. I did a reinstall of parallax and forgot to change the density multiplier and turn collisions back on, so FPS was much more bearable.

3 minutes ago, memerman02 said:

Stupid question, but where do i enable the collisions? is it in a ig menu or the configs somewhere hidden

GameData/Parallax/Config/ParallaxGlobal.cfg

open that, change the collisions to "true".

2 minutes ago, Socowez said:

Sorry, badly worded message, I meant the opposite. To compensate for rescale, I set it to 6.25 density, then came extreme FPS issues. I did a reinstall of parallax and forgot to change the density multiplier and turn collisions back on, so FPS was much more bearable.

Going to try this now. But I have not used rescale before. If there is any guidance you can give me so I can replicate your scenario, that would be great. Cheers

1 minute ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Does 2.0 make dres fun to visit?

Absolutely (unbiased)