[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

10 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Going to try this now. But I have not used rescale before. If there is any guidance you can give me so I can replicate your scenario, that would be great. Cheers

Gameslinx asking ME for guidance?? :blush: 

Anyway...

Obviously, you need Sigma Dimensions (at least, that's what I used). I use the 2.5x scale config from this. It's an old release, but it still works. The same settings in these configs can be found in Settings.cfg in SigmaDimensions, which is why I guess it still works after 2 years.

In that instance, I changed the landscape multiplier in the downloaded config from 0.4 to 1, so the land doesn't look pancaked compared to stock. 2.52 is 6.25, so I set the density multiplier to 6.25 for my game.

Most of the information can be found in the readme in Sigma Dimensions, and the rest is easy to infer. That should be everything you need to replicate the performance issues I was having. 

56 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

See troubleshooting section in the OP which shows how your Parallax_StockTextures folder should look after installing

Turns out that the Stock Textures downloaded but was not complete for some reason. I redownloaded all three files just to be safe, and sure enough the original StockTextures was missing about 300MB.

I wonder if the same issue plagued those other users on the bug report. I let them know in the bug report on github. I am now utterly gobsmacked, this is so beautiful:

d8ho1Yv.jpeg

Edited by Starfire70

19 minutes ago, Socowez said:

Most of the information can be found in the readme in Sigma Dimensions, and the rest is easy to infer. That should be everything you need to replicate the performance issues I was having. 

Thanks.

I'm unfortunately unable to replicate the performance loss. RTX 2080 Super (8GB VRAM), 32GB system RAM, 140fps on the runway with 2.5x rescale and 6.25x density. All other settings untouched. Terrain shader quality ultra. GameData as follows:

fEtXmza.png

28 minutes ago, t_v said:

If I want to play this on a Mac, is there anything other than Parallels, Boot Camp, or other Windows simulator that I can do? What is the DirectX 11 used for?

I am looking into a solution for Mac users which should work. Linux can use Proton on Steam to run DX11. Not sure about Mac 

1 hour ago, SquidTortellini2 said:

I've installed Parallax 2, but the game still looks stock. I was wondering if there was anything i was missing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AcxfzHp4xe3rTG4wcsJWXkvyYlt84ScqMfLmzDjF5Sw/edit?usp=sharing - module manager log

Refer to the Troubleshooting guide in the OP. I won't be able to check the log until later

48 minutes ago, qromodynmc said:

Im just curious, anyone know what "reflection" setting in config file is about?

Same. I can only *assume* it's with regards to the Parallax generated objects reflections in things like Kerbal visors and such. That's my best guess.

I'm interested to know if one of these config variables is responsible for the range at which the objects are generated, one of them 'seems' like it might. 

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Any idea how you replicated this?

I've came across this a few times, I don't think it's an issue with Parallax so much as some sort of rendering glitch with the game.

For me it first happened in stock system with Astronomers Visual Pack. The rocks on the Mun would be floating a good kilometre or so off above the surface, same with trees on Kerbin BUT it wasn't the entire surface, it was just specific parts of the surface.

Not sure if that helps at all. 

On 9/6/2022 at 12:15 AM, 610yesnolovely said:

For those people who prefer MM patches to hand editing files in mods, put this in some file in your GameData personal patch folder (you have one of those right), say Parallax.cfg

Does that actually work for you? It seems here that Parallax processes its config node before MM had any chance to patch it.

15 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Thanks.

I'm unfortunately unable to replicate the performance loss. RTX 2080 Super (8GB VRAM), 32GB system RAM, 140fps on the runway with 2.5x rescale and 6.25x density. All other settings untouched. Terrain shader quality ultra. GameData as follows:

fEtXmza.png

I guess performance varies. The only other variable I know of is that my FPS was tested on the surface of the Mun, but I’m not sure if that affects performance. 

11 minutes ago, Socowez said:

I guess performance varies. The only other variable I know of is that my FPS was tested on the surface of the Mun, but I’m not sure if that affects performance. 

I'll give this a go as well. Will update with results.

Really unsure why you're getting such awful FPS :/

1 hour ago, Merlin1809 said:

Noticed a weird bug: When pressing "+" the game switches vessels for me, but if there is no vessel available to switch to, all of the surface scatter moves up to my current altitude.

Reveal hidden contents

K4vXo0B.jpg

Ah thanks for reporting this. Looks like the game resets the terrain shader offset, expecting a craft change, but the craft never switches so Parallax isn't told to regenerate the scatters at the new position

Will get a fix for this out soon. Btw, switching to cockpit view and back will fix this.

48 minutes ago, 15Redstones2 said:

Is there a way to get this running properly on Linux? DirectX11 isn't working for me. 

if you install the windows version of the game and run it through wine or proton ( proton have better performance ), you can use parallax since proton translate directx12 instruction to vulkan. Only downside is a little FPS drops, i have 5-7 fps drop on linux + proton than on windows.