[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

3 hours ago, Socowez said:

I guess performance varies. The only other variable I know of is that my FPS was tested on the surface of the Mun, but I’m not sure if that affects performance. 

One more thing to try. It might take some time, but it will make sure our settings match entirely and could sort performance for you:

Spoiler

Step 1 - Update your NVIDIA graphics drivers

Step 2 - Replace the settings.cfg in your Kerbal Space Program folder with this: https://mega.nz/file/JEEgTZ5a#BDhp8Vm8WvcbYd3lO2VCIg_3_8xr1I4ns8-He8pQ_PY

Step 3 - Use these NVIDIA settings:

rSKeh3q.png

Please let me know if this helps!

@Juba - came here to ask literally the same thing. I use JNSQ but I checked it with minimal required mod configuration on the stock Kerbin and have the same problem. Also with JNSQ I get some wired sunrises, where the sun is already quite high above the horizon and the ground is still dark and the ground that comes with the buildings is even darker (on the stock system this may also be a thing although is it is, it's not that pronounced). 

Does Parallax mess with Scatterer somehow? 

I keep getting this issue whenever I try to install the mod. Trying to load a new world or settings just makes the game infinitely load. I followed the installation instructions but I keep getting this.  I have gotten it to work once on another install of KSP, but whenever I try to do it on my steam install it just goes back to this. I'm at a loss at this point on what I could be doing wrong, if anything, maybe the mod just doesn't like my steam but we'll see.

unknown.png

Will these kind of surface bases be possible?
With that I mean, will the location of stuff that collide be consistent? Or can I expect base to randomly explode on load more than usual because a big rock with collision shifted? I badly want to use the mod but worry about this...

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

41 minutes ago, Zefnoly said:

With that I mean, will the location of stuff that collide be consistent? Or can I expect base to randomly explode on load more than usual because a big rock with collision shifted? I badly want to use the mod but worry about this...

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Scatters will indeed be consistent, in the same spots and shapes and sizes and all that, from scene changes to restarting the game***. Just find a spot without too many rocks 

*** @Gameslinx confirm on this

Hi @Gameslinx

This looks amazing and thanks for all the hard work. Unfortunately I am having severe performance issues using Parallax. I've tried a clean install with just Kopernicus and Parallax to make sure it is no a mod conflict, and I still getting just 10-15 FPS with no mods installed flying around KSC (compared to 50+ without Parallax). I've checked the log, and the only error is this:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/ParallaxAsteroidUltra' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
ERROR: Shader Custom/ParallaxAsteroidUltra shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)

It looks like one of the shaders used by Parallax is not compatible with my GPU at the moment. Would this cause the FPS drop? I have a fairly old GeForce GTX1050 and I've updated the drivers to make sure everything is up to date.  This is running on a fairly new PC with Windows 11.

Any suggestions or is it time to update my GPU?

3 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Does Parallax mess with Scatterer somehow? 

No. Parallax will work with JNSQ because the planets share the same names, but not on any other planet mod yet because configs don't exist. 

3 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

the ground is still dark and the ground that comes with the buildings is even darker

Increasing the sunlight shadow strength was intentional, but after feedback I'll be reverting it or trying it on only bodies without an atmosphere

2 hours ago, Zefnoly said:

The rocks will always stay in the same place. Your bases will be fine!

51 minutes ago, Sinan said:

It looks like one of the shaders used by Parallax is not compatible with my GPU at the moment. Would this cause the FPS drop? I have a fairly old GeForce GTX1050 and I've updated the drivers to make sure everything is up to date.  This is running on a fairly new PC with Windows 11.

This is an error on my part. ParallaxAsteroid is indeed unsupported because it didn't compile properly and I forgot to omit it from the build. It's not actually used in-game, so there is nothing to worry about.

As for your FPS, can you send a screenshot of your graphics settings in-game? Finally, if you want to try something in the meantime, follow these instructions above on a clean, parallax only install. This problem is something I'm trying to gather more data on:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/197024-112x-parallax-pbr-terrain-and-surface-objects-200/&do=findComment&comment=4172426

6 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Ah thanks for reporting this. Looks like the game resets the terrain shader offset, expecting a craft change, but the craft never switches so Parallax isn't told to regenerate the scatters at the new position

Will get a fix for this out soon. Btw, switching to cockpit view and back will fix this.

This also happens when you attempt to EVA when you can't. It looks like it's the same issue with changing craft, and will likely get resolved with that fix you're working on. Switching to IVA and back does fix it like the other problem. Thought I'd share if it was of any use or relevance

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I have something planned to support Linux/Mac

Awesome work on this mod! It would be great if you could get Linux to work without needing DX11/steam/proton, I'd rather donate to your efforts than buy the game + DLCs a second time in Steam. (I'm running stand-alone on Linux, don't have a windows machine at the moment)

Totally understand the effort that goes into building something amazing like this in your spare time, so no judgment if it's not a priority!

Thanks for looking into this and trying to fix it. The good news is that with the settings you provided for both KSP and NVIDIA there was a massive increase in FPS - up to about 40-50 flying at low altitude around KSP (close enough to count the petals on the flowers). As a further test, I tried my original KSP settings file with the new NVIDA settings, and the FPS was back down to 10-15 FPS. I then tried your KSP settings  file and reverted the NVIDIA settings back to their original values, and the FPS was higher at about 20-25, but still noticeable slow. Some magic in both the KSP game settings and the NVIDIA settings you provided is combining to make everything work, but I'm not sure exactly what. This is in a clean fresh install with just Parallax and Kopernicus and no other mods. I hope this helps you track down the problem.

29 minutes ago, Socowez said:

This also happens when you attempt to EVA when you can't. It looks like it's the same issue with changing craft, and will likely get resolved with that fix you're working on. Switching to IVA and back does fix it like the other problem. Thought I'd share if it was of any use or relevance

I should be able to use Harmony to separate when floating origin updates from when it resets. Right now when the craft is above a certain height it resets every frame which is a real pain because it would have been perfect if not for that.

Should have a fix out shortly, but I'm also working on Linux/Mac support and an experimental memory optimization to slightly reduce VRAM. Btw, did you check my reply to you above regarding settings?

17 minutes ago, Sinan said:

Thanks for looking into this and trying to fix it. The good news is that with the settings you provided for both KSP and NVIDIA there was a massive increase in FPS - up to about 40-50 flying at low altitude around KSP (close enough to count the petals on the flowers). As a further test, I tried my original KSP settings file with the new NVIDA settings, and the FPS was back down to 10-15 FPS. I then tried your KSP settings  file and reverted the NVIDIA settings back to their original values, and the FPS was higher at about 20-25, but still noticeable slow. Some magic in both the KSP game settings and the NVIDIA settings you provided is combining to make everything work, but I'm not sure exactly what. This is in a clean fresh install with just Parallax and Kopernicus and no other mods. I hope this helps you track down the problem.

I suspected it was a combination of AntiAliasing, potentially having SuperSampling enabled in the NVIDIA panel and a good old driver update.

8x anti-aliasing wrecks the strongest of GPUs seemingly randomly. Sometimes I'd get ~90fps. Other times 10. I think this might be happening.

Anyway, 40-50 fps on a 1050 is absolutely fantastic. I'm so glad to hear it worked!

19 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I suspected it was a combination of AntiAliasing, potentially having SuperSampling enabled in the NVIDIA panel and a good old driver update.

8x anti-aliasing wrecks the strongest of GPUs seemingly randomly. Sometimes I'd get ~90fps. Other times 10. I think this might be happening.

Anyway, 40-50 fps on a 1050 is absolutely fantastic. I'm so glad to hear it worked!

I'm glad to report a great performance increase on my side, too! Glad the issue was resolved, even if it didn't pertain to Parallax.

9 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I should be able to use Harmony to separate when floating origin updates from when it resets. Right now when the craft is above a certain height it resets every frame which is a real pain because it would have been perfect if not for that.

Should have a fix out shortly, but I'm also working on Linux/Mac support and an experimental memory optimization to slightly reduce VRAM. Btw, did you check my reply to you above regarding settings?

I can infact confirm that anti-aliasing with NVIDIA card and this don't play well together.

Was having serious performance issues with Parallax 2.0 (with collisions enabled), reduced anti-aliasing value to 4x and the performance difference is night and day.

This is with latest NVIDIA drivers and RTX 3070 (Laptop). It's worth it though cause the collisions are a step above, nowt better than a lander tipping over due a Parallax generated rock!

Does anybody know / can confirm if enabling collisions is safe on an existing save?
I don't currently have much landed that I care about (mostly spent stages and surface science that has completed) but there are a couple of things that I'd prefer not to explode after being telefragged by a new rock. Right at the moment I could probably get everything  I care about into orbit and update to this and land everything again, but I probably need to do it now, rather than later.