[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

2 hours ago, fleventeen said:

It appears to be the same situation as before, however, I didn't have to remove the city lights textures to avoid clipping. Not entirely sure why.

Because you probably have the latest version of EVE. Blackrack pushed an update today with a fix for this: 

Edited by Zelda

Just thought I'd add a small PSA regarding rescale and memory impact:

I'm working on reducing the memory and vram impact which is quite high, but it's very difficult to do so. RAM usage for me is ~5-6GB on Kerbin on a default install but will rise to 8+ then stabilize and I'm not exactly sure how this happens, since I cleanly dispose of anything Parallax creates or uses. 

With rescale, 10x scale will require a 100x density which will massively increase the memory impact. For rescale patches it may be easier to increase the PQS MaxLevel of the planets to subdivide them further. This would require a lower density multiplier and save on memory.

In other news I'm working on something for Mac and Linux users. Although OpenGL is shockingly bad at rendering a lot of geometry, at least it's something that'll work. For those struggling with terrible performance, turn off 8x AntiAliasing and see the troubleshooting part of the OP.

To add to what Ballisticfox said previously, the mod and assets for this mod took 10+ months to create. The asset creation does take a long time with just one person working on them. Don't expect scatter objects for most planet packs soon - authors have only just gotten their hands on this and they need time to create their own objects :)

Tl;dr I'm working on lowering memory impact but not sure how just yet. 

Heyo, is anyone possibly running into an issue where the part action screen (the one that appears when you right-click a part in flight) doesn't appear (aside from the hashtag and pin buttons)? Not sure if its related to the mod but it started happening after I installed it for the first time. The green bar for maneuvers is also gone apparently?

To anyone who knows anything about computers:

Am I right in assuming that I cannot use Parallax 2.0 if I'm running KSP natively under Ubuntu, because Parallax 2.0 requires DirectX = Wine/Windows?

Thanks!

Gr, H.

EDIT: Never mind; I didn't read thoroughly enough, my question was already answered. Thanks!

It really looks like a great mod from the reviews so far - perhaps I should buy a dedicated machine for running KSP, rather than using my linux k8s-sandbox ;)

Edited by Hoozemans

On 9/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, RW-1 said:

I'm also looking at Waterfall, No issues I see on launch from Kerbin, however I had a ship in orbit over minmus and firing the engine gave me a slight outline of the flames with nothing "inside", Unfortunately I didnt take a screenshot, but haven't yet seen it again, thought maybe it only affected existing ships, etc. Will look further today and post a screenie if I can.

Same issue with Waterfall for me: fainted flames on some ships since I installed Parallax 2.0.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:45 PM, Vl3d said:

Linx (and the whole modding community) did an amazing job with the new release and have set the bar very high for KSP2. Are you impressed, do you think KSP2 will go in this direction and be even more dense and amazing?

I have a question if anyone may help.

I followed the installation and did everything but when launching ksp parallax doesnt appear anywhere.

Can anyone please help 

I have a question for anyone willing to help.

Ive tried everything with installing parallax and every single time when i start ksp parallax just isnt there.

There are no scatters or detailed ground or anything.

Its like im playing stock however i installed the mod with the installation guide.

25 minutes ago, RainyMonths said:

I have a question for anyone willing to help.

Ive tried everything with installing parallax and every single time when i start ksp parallax just isnt there.

There are no scatters or detailed ground or anything.

Its like im playing stock however i installed the mod with the installation guide.

You must launch a vessel on the runway to see the scatters. And Kerbin's new ground texture for the grass isn't too different from the original, so it can be hard to tell.

If you are having problems, see the Troubleshooting section in the OP

So I installed this mod, and it's looking pretty great. The trees and rocks and all that are working nicely. However, I don't see any grass on Laythe or Kerbin, Do you have any idea why?

Also, when I followed the instructions to get my ksp.log, I didn't find anything in the indicated folder. I did find something nearby that started like this:

Spoiler

Mono path[0] = 'C:/Users/KSP/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/Managed'
Mono config path = 'C:/Users/KSP/Kerbal Space Program/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Initialize engine version: 2019.4.18f1 (3310a4d4f880)
[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path C:/Users/KSP/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/UnitySubsystems
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ID=0x1f99)
    Vendor:   
    VRAM:     3962 MB
    Driver:   30.0.15.1272
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in  0.095 seconds
D3D11 device created for Microsoft Media Foundation video decoding.
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.
<RI> Initialized touch support.
[AlarmClockScenario]: Generating ID, but the scenario is not running at this time - no unique checks 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'ScreenKerbalsInventory') is missing! 
(Filename:  Line: 334)

UnloadTime: 0.674700 ms
Release Build 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

[KSP Version]: 1.12.3.3173 (WindowsPlayer x64) (x64) en-us ============================== 

[Input Devices]:  

[Input Devices]:  

Launcher disabled? False 

PhysicsGlobals: Loading database 

[SpaceNavigatorWindows]: Could not initialize device.
Class not registered

******* Log Initiated for Kerbal Space Program - 1.12.3.3173 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us ******* 

Thanks

Edited by LHACK4142

3 hours ago, Fabled_Mike said:

I have OPM installed. If install parallax will it add scatters on the stock planets or not?

Yeah it works fine, I've tried that and it seems to cause no issues. :cool:

17 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

So I installed this mod, and it's looking pretty great. The trees and rocks and all that are working nicely. However, I don't see any grass on Laythe or Kerbin, Do you have any idea why?

Also, when I followed the instructions to get my ksp.log, I didn't find anything in the indicated folder. I did find something nearby that started like this:

Reveal hidden contents

[Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path C:/Users/KSP/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/UnitySubsystems
Direct3D:
    Vendor:   
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.
[AlarmClockScenario]: Generating ID, but the scenario is not running at this time - no unique checks 

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'ScreenKerbalsInventory') is missing! 

Release Build 

[KSP Version]: 1.12.3.3173 (WindowsPlayer x64) (x64) en-us ============================== 

[Input Devices]:  

[Input Devices]:  

Launcher disabled? False 

Class not registered

******* Log Initiated for Kerbal Space Program - 1.12.3.3173 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us ******* 

Thanks

This is while 'in-flight' or in the Space Centre screen? Because I don't think it appears in that screen, you have to put a vehicle on the pad or runway for the grass and such to begin 'spawning' I believe. 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - I'm new here

I'm having the known bug with the infinite loading screen with the planets still spinning. I checked to see if it was an issue with Kopernicus, I removed it and reinstalled it, making double sure that everything was in the correct spot, and I still had the issue. I then uninstalled KSP and reinstalled it, and the issue persisted. I double checked Kopernicus  and reinstalled the game several more time, with the issue still being present. I downloaded CKAN to make sure everything would be installed properly, and it still would not get past the infinite loading screen. 

Is there any other known issue that might be causing this bug? Thank you in advance.

Howdy, 

I saw the Parallax 2.0 update on YT and was blown away.  I've been trying to install it this morning and have had nothing but issues.  To be perfectly frank, I am not super family with mod installs, so feel free to treat me like a noob.

I have a fresh install of KSP, with no mods.  I have followed the install process for Parallax. Installed Kopernicus, installed parallax into the game data folder, unpack stocktextures and merged it with the scatter textures, but when I load KSP...nothing appears to happen. 

I went through a lot of trial and error and at one point I got the notification that Parallax's current settings had texture turned to low and to increase it in the config file.  However, I was getting a Kopernicus "failed to load custom planetary..." error.  I reinstalled Kopernicus and that error went away, but so did any message indicating Parallax 2.0 was working. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

19 hours ago, Dahbakon said:

Just to clarrify, has the 2.0 Update resolved the situation with city lights in EVE or is it still an issue?

it's still an issue, but I believe on the EVE side with terrain mesh

Strike that, LG just released a new EVE:

https://github.com/LGhassen/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/

Redux 1.11.7.1

Latest

Fix flickering city lights with Parallax (added a small depth offset)

Fix volumetrics in VR (fix by @JonnyOThan) for Kerbal-VR https://github.com/JonnyOThan/Kerbal-VR

Fix a nullref and some game event leaks (Thanks @BrettRyland and @gotmachine)

Going to try it out now ...

Update:  It's fixed!  :)

Edited by RW-1
EVE version to hopefully fix city lights

1 hour ago, LHACK4142 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Direct3D:
    Vendor:   
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.

Release Build 

[Input Devices]:  

[Input Devices]:  

Launcher disabled? False 

Class not registered

Thanks

I have the same problem. Did you download it from ckan? That might be the problem

2 hours ago, AstroGoldstone said:

Is there any other known issue that might be causing this bug? Thank you in advance.

I have absolutely no idea. Can you send your KSP.log?

1 hour ago, Fabled_Mike said:

I have the same problem. Did you download it from ckan? That might be the problem

Set your terrain quality to High. Anything lower and grass won't spawn.

On 9/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, TheDicko said:

This is amazing. The new textures are stunning.

I do prefer the eve (the planet) textures without the plants and bubbles etc however. Is this easy to configure ? Or do I need to install older eve (the planet) textures from a previous parallax release?

I've configured Eve to only have rocks, basalt formations and crystals. To do so, I reused some objects from other planets and recolored some of their textures. Here's how it looks: https://imgur.com/a/qDzWtUc 

I've made a downloadable patch if anyone wants to have the same configuration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16-nTUbRgQescq4ajQtka1cJnaOzPcgPy/view

Just drop Parallax_StockTextures folder from this archive in GameData and agree with replacement of Eve.cfg. Hope @Gameslinx doesn't mind me publishing it here.

Edited by desert

3 hours ago, desert said:

I've configured Eve to only have rocks, basalt formations and crystals. To do so, I reused some objects from other planets and recolored some of their textures. Here's how it looks: https://imgur.com/a/qDzWtUc 

I've made a downloadable patch if anyone wants to have the same configuration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16-nTUbRgQescq4ajQtka1cJnaOzPcgPy/view

Just drop Parallax_StockTextures folder from this archive in GameData and agree with replacement of Eve.cfg. Hope @Gameslinx doesn't mind me publishing it here.

That's awesome! I was going to make a patch myself, but I see someone has already done it.

28 minutes ago, desert said:

May I include this in the OP so that if people want a more realistic Eve they can download this?

Edited by Gameslinx

7 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

You must launch a vessel on the runway to see the scatters. And Kerbin's new ground texture for the grass isn't too different from the original, so it can be hard to tell.

If you are having problems, see the Troubleshooting section in the OP

I know that it doesnt work from KSC view but none of the planets have any scattering when landing on them. Parallax just doesnt work

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Just thought I'd add a small PSA regarding rescale and memory impact:

I'm working on reducing the memory and vram impact which is quite high, but it's very difficult to do so. RAM usage for me is ~5-6GB on Kerbin on a default install but will rise to 8+ then stabilize and I'm not exactly sure how this happens, since I cleanly dispose of anything Parallax creates or uses. 

With rescale, 10x scale will require a 100x density which will massively increase the memory impact. For rescale patches it may be easier to increase the PQS MaxLevel of the planets to subdivide them further. This would require a lower density multiplier and save on memory.

In other news I'm working on something for Mac and Linux users. Although OpenGL is shockingly bad at rendering a lot of geometry, at least it's something that'll work. For those struggling with terrible performance, turn off 8x AntiAliasing and see the troubleshooting part of the OP.

To add to what Ballisticfox said previously, the mod and assets for this mod took 10+ months to create. The asset creation does take a long time with just one person working on them. Don't expect scatter objects for most planet packs soon - authors have only just gotten their hands on this and they need time to create their own objects :)

Tl;dr I'm working on lowering memory impact but not sure how just yet. 

I play on a 10x rescale, and even with the scatter being spread out (I managed to push it to 15x before the performance started to drop too much) it looks amazing! It really does not seem like the same game at all. I did try putting it to 100x at the start, and the game simply didn't want to start, which was understandable!

Is increasing the PQS MaxLevel something that I can do, changing a setting somewhere, or is it more involved?