[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

20 hours ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

Yeah it works fine, I've tried that and it seems to cause no issues. :cool:

Hello ! Do you use any config file to make it compatible with OPM like this one : https://spacedock.info/mod/2958/Parallax for OPM ? but I'm wondering if it's still compatible since the 2.0 released. When you say it works is it not causing issue with OPM planets or is it adding parallax ground effet on the OPM's planets ?

Also, what about compatibility with KRSS, anyone tried it ? :D

Edited by Hannil

Thanks for explaining the grass. Unfortunately, I have another question. Most of my settings are on the medium-high end, and I have a laptop 1650. However, when all the grass and stuff loaded in, my fps drops to about 12. The bottleneck appears to be the GPU. Still worth it, but certainly not ideal. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Edited by LHACK4142

Since installing this the ground anchor parts no longer behave correctly. Everytime I timewarp or load. They will jump a step higher. Causing the base to float. I guess I should just stop using them from now on. But sad I wont be able to use them to stabilize my bases anymore... I am guessing it could be related to kopernicus. But I am not sure.

2 hours ago, Zefnoly said:

Since installing this the ground anchor parts no longer behave correctly. Everytime I timewarp or load. They will jump a step higher. Causing the base to float. I guess I should just stop using them from now on. But sad I wont be able to use them to stabilize my bases anymore... I am guessing it could be related to kopernicus. But I am not sure.

I think there’s some logic in parallax that moves vessels upwards if they are colliding with things, to make sure they stay out of scatter…I’d bet $5 the ground anchor is colliding with itself.  Hopefully an easy fix.

16 hours ago, Musuko42 said:

Is increasing the PQS MaxLevel something that I can do, changing a setting somewhere, or is it more involved?

The PQS maxLevel is a Kopernicus parameter https://kopernicus.github.io/wiki/main/PQS.html 

I've been trying to tweak this to see what happens in combination with 10x sigma dimensions scale. Unfortunately I've not been able to make any difference, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(

53 minutes ago, ROCKETGOOSE said:

The PQS maxLevel is a Kopernicus parameter https://kopernicus.github.io/wiki/main/PQS.html 

I've been trying to tweak this to see what happens in combination with 10x sigma dimensions scale. Unfortunately I've not been able to make any difference, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(

That...looks complicated. A bit outside of my ability to understand, I think.

If you figure out how to make it work, though, and can describe how to do it, that would be awesome!

For Linux / Mac users:
Please can anyone running Linux/Mac/OpenGL try this DLL? This should allow Parallax to run on your systems, but I don't have either so I'm unable to test it. If it works, it'll be released as part of an update :)

https://mega.nz/file/gItXSAAK#E7K20BS4JN93K5wT9w4zJTL7mNOBksEx3Utwxd7TkNQ

Edit: Changes to the code involves adding an alternative to the AsyncGPUReadbackRequest on scatter generation, instead demanding the data immediately. 

Edited by Gameslinx

I'm running into an odd issue, wondering if anyone might be able to tell what's happening here.

With Kopernicus, Parallax and the Parallax textures installed it looks like I'm missing all of the ambient lighting in the KSP, and I'm just getting the directional light from the sun. With only Kopernicus installed the KSP is lit as expected.

MLpngvG.png

It also looks like the terrain scatters and some of the terrain are not receiving lighting in the same way. Let me know if this is expected, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't connected in some way.

3OCqk9X.png

I have a few other visual mods installed (EVE, Scatterer, Planetshine and TUFX), but I tried a fully fresh install with only Kopernicus and Parallax, and I'm having the same issue. I confirmed that I have the latest drivers for my GPU as well, I'm on an RTX 2080 Super.

Here's my log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J9t81wKV2vGjsVffCraqe8OI-KJLsbIQ/view?usp=sharing

Any thoughts appreciated, let me know if there's something I should try.

Hi, I have a bit of an odd question.

The scatters and trees,grass etc work perfectly fine on kerbin and look beautiful! However the other celestial bodies appear completely stock to me- with no scatters or collision etc. Does anyone know why this could be?

My games graphics settings are currently on the highest they will go.

52 minutes ago, s_cott said:

With Kopernicus, Parallax and the Parallax textures installed it looks like I'm missing all of the ambient lighting in the KSP, and I'm just getting the directional light from the sun. With only Kopernicus installed the KSP is lit as expected.

This was intentional, but due to feedback I'm removing it. It will be changed in the next textures update

52 minutes ago, s_cott said:

It also looks like the terrain scatters and some of the terrain are not receiving lighting in the same way

This is how it would work IRL... mostly. The rocks have surfaces facing directly towards the sun. The terrain faces upwards. The side of the rocks facing the sun will be lit almost entirely by the sun. The terrain is 90 degrees to the sun, and will barely be lit.

It's difficult to get right because the blend between surface and scatter would obviously not be as jarring as this. At better lighting angles, the colours match.

I might be able to 'fake' this by purposely dimming the rocks as if they faced upwards, but it's not really realistic. I'll look into it

Edited by Gameslinx