[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

2 minutes ago, RuBisCO said:

I assume this is already known but collision/clipping with rocks is intermittent and at random, sometimes crafts go through the rocks, sometimes they don't, not sure why.

I'm aware, the collisions are marked as experimental because of this. I'm still looking into the cause

41 minutes ago, AstroGoldstone said:

I'd be happy to! Like I'm said I'm new here, I know how to get the KSP.log file but how do you want me to send it to you?

The usual way everyone does it is providing a Google Drive link. Create a drive with the file, change permissions so that anyone with the link can see it, copy the link and paste it here. Just remember to quote the person that asked for it to avoid confusion.

7 minutes ago, RuBisCO said:

I assume this is already known but collision/clipping with rocks is intermittent and at random, sometimes crafts go through the rocks, sometimes they don't, not sure why.

l8X2AkP.gif%C2%A0

That is a terrifying rover. 

where can I get it?

4 hours ago, Rakete said:

Any Info, if paralax 2.0 would run on an old gtx 1060 ? 

Inconsistent. Some icebergs decrease my fps to sub 60, and on Kerbin in the middle of the forest I'm getting 20 fps without any parts in the scene. It fluctuates in general, and sometimes it doesn't spawn anything at all on some bodies. 

2 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

Inconsistent. Some icebergs decrease my fps to sub 60, and on Kerbin in the middle of the forest I'm getting 20 fps without any parts in the scene. It fluctuates in general, and sometimes it doesn't spawn anything at all on some bodies. 

This seems a bit low, as 1050 can run ~30-40 fps with AVP and TUFX. Have you tried the settings in the OP?

13 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Have you tried the settings in the OP?

My antialiasing is already at 2x, should be low enough, and the Nvidia settings don't make a lot of sense since they're all just defaults. It's already set like this when you install the driver. 

Edited by dok_377

23 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I have absolutely no idea. Can you send your KSP.log?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DTE860EH_Nf01BkH_Fv8hEUgmwewKbXn/view?usp=sharing

Really hoping I'm not an idiot and didn't completely miss something, I made sure Kopernicus was installed correctly, and I reinstalled KSP twice - Still had the infinite loading bug.

47 minutes ago, Socowez said:

The usual way everyone does it is providing a Google Drive link. Create a drive with the file, change permissions so that anyone with the link can see it, copy the link and paste it here. Just remember to quote the person that asked for it to avoid confusion.

Thank you!

On 9/10/2022 at 5:59 PM, AstroGoldstone said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - I'm new here

I'm having the known bug with the infinite loading screen with the planets still spinning. I checked to see if it was an issue with Kopernicus, I removed it and reinstalled it, making double sure that everything was in the correct spot, and I still had the issue. I then uninstalled KSP and reinstalled it, and the issue persisted. I double checked Kopernicus  and reinstalled the game several more time, with the issue still being present. I downloaded CKAN to make sure everything would be installed properly, and it still would not get past the infinite loading screen. 

Is there any other known issue that might be causing this bug? Thank you in advance.

Looks like there's a parallax config somewhere else 

ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Kerbin

So you have two parallax configs that do the same thing and it's causing your issue

Is there a mirror for the github link? i have excrements internet and for some goddamn reason its impossible to download the tesselation zip. it's the one that over a 1gb, i dont know its actual size because it never finishes and always fails. ve tried downloading it like 15 times now this has never happened before.

23 minutes ago, NovaBear said:

i have excrements internet and for some goddamn reason its impossible to download the tesselation zip

Seems like you're trying to download the master. You should be downloading the releases in the releases tab, here https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases

8 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

For Linux / Mac users:
Please can anyone running Linux/Mac/OpenGL try this DLL? This should allow Parallax to run on your systems, but I don't have either so I'm unable to test it. If it works, it'll be released as part of an update :)

https://mega.nz/file/gItXSAAK#E7K20BS4JN93K5wT9w4zJTL7mNOBksEx3Utwxd7TkNQ

Edit: Changes to the code involves adding an alternative to the AsyncGPUReadbackRequest on scatter generation, instead demanding the data immediately. 

I'm running PopOS and gave this a try.  

I can see the scatter geometry but there seems to be a texture issue; the surfaces are all black. I think I've got the Textures folder set up correctly according to the instructions. Let me know if I can provide more info or troubleshoot, would love to get this working.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:01 PM, RainyMonths said:

i did.

It sounds like you may need to do some troubleshooting: (1) a clean install of KSP with no mods, (2) install Parallax 2 following the instructions, (3) enable existing mods one by one until you replicate the problem (or do a binary search to save time). If you can't get Parallax working even after step 2, you should probably post in the main mod thread for greater visibility rather than here where not many people can help you.

Back on topic, I think that KSP 2 doesn't have to follow exactly the path laid out by Parallax 2, as impressive as it is. It's fine if most planets in KSP2 look toned down and serious without things like bubbles or giant red crystals, since that's probably typical for exoplanets in real life. Kerbin looking lush and full of life would be awesome, but apart from that, I like the planets that we have been shown so far by the dev team. Heck, a nice lighting engine will create some spectacular views even without lots of ground clutter:

Edited by TROPtastic
Made post more on-topic

9 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

For Linux / Mac users:
Please can anyone running Linux/Mac/OpenGL try this DLL? This should allow Parallax to run on your systems, but I don't have either so I'm unable to test it. If it works, it'll be released as part of an update :)

Edit: Changes to the code involves adding an alternative to the AsyncGPUReadbackRequest on scatter generation, instead demanding the data immediately. 

After cranking all the graphics settings up, I managed to get some stuff to show.  However, when you zoom out any more than this, it all disappears, and even zoomed in, there's not much around for trees, however there's shadows everywhere.

screenshot8.pngscreenshot9.png

@Gameslinx

Been getting constant Null refs when maneuving a vessel in solar orbit.  This was on a JNSQ save

Specific error is:

486567 NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
486568   at Grass.BodySwitchManager.Update () [0x00124] in <f5aa3929ed194e4097ca4907c9a52ef4>:0 

Complete log file is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsn2jygsuegozb3/Parallex.zip?dl=0

1 hour ago, PatchedConic said:

I'm running PopOS and gave this a try.  

I can see the scatter geometry but there seems to be a texture issue; the surfaces are all black. I think I've got the Textures folder set up correctly according to the instructions. Let me know if I can provide more info or troubleshoot, would love to get this working.

Hey, can you send your KSP.log for this? I've not heard of PopOS before. I suspect it could be a file path detection issue on my end? I'm really not sure. The log should help!

32 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

After cranking all the graphics settings up, I managed to get some stuff to show.  However, when you zoom out any more than this, it all disappears, and even zoomed in, there's not much around for trees, however there's shadows everywhere.

If you run the default settings for the ParallaxGlobal.cfg is everything working correctly?

I've set a hard limit in the config files for the amount of objects that can be generated. With very high ranges or densities, you might hit this limit. It's quite notable by objects flickering in and out of existence, then disappearing outright when enough are within the cameras frustum.

I'll take a look in the morning, cheers

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Been getting constant Null refs when maneuving a vessel in solar orbit

This is me being an idiot, I reckon. Thanks for letting me know 

21 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

If you run the default settings for the ParallaxGlobal.cfg is everything working correctly?

Sorry, should have specified.  I did not touch any of the configs that came with the mod.  I installed everything fresh with CKAN, then swapped out the Grass.dll file. Fresh vanilla install of the game, no other mods installed.  This is all I did:

Launch the game, and set your terrain quality to High. Set your terrain shader quality to High or Ultra. Ultra will enable tessellation.

Log

I have an AMD RX 6700XT in case it matters.

20 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Hey, can you send your KSP.log for this? I've not heard of PopOS before. I suspect it could be a file path detection issue on my end? I'm really not sure. The log should help!

My log file is linked below. Also below is what I see when I took a stroll around the launch pad if that helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d9qFDofShEbLZaphWw_fv8m67zEB-K9b/view?usp=sharing

KSP-P2A.jpg

11 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

For Linux / Mac users:

I gave it a go with Ubuntu and am seeing the same things that PatchedConic is showing.

For reference it's with a config that works fine if I run it through Proton.

Thanks for giving it a go with Linux/Mac native support!

16 minutes ago, Jackthedragonkiller said:

Is it possible to disable the bubbles on Eve? Been searching through the config files for Parallax and can't find anything relating to them. They look cool and mystical, but personally would prefer if I could turn them off.

@desert made a config for a more realistic Eve.

2 hours ago, lodurr_voluspa said:

Thanks for giving it a go with Linux/Mac native support!

This. I'm sure it's a small minority of users, and it's very cool to even make an attempt at supporting it.

I've spent some more time playing on native Linux with it installed and other than this bug I haven't noticed any other issues; everything seems very stable.