[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 9/11/2022 at 10:14 AM, Hannil said:

Hello ! Do you use any config file to make it compatible with OPM like this one : https://spacedock.info/mod/2958/Parallax for OPM ? but I'm wondering if it's still compatible since the 2.0 released. When you say it works is it not causing issue with OPM planets or is it adding parallax ground effet on the OPM's planets ?

Also, what about compatibility with KRSS, anyone tried it ? :D

Regarding surface effects on the Outer Planets, I'm not sure as I haven't visited any of them as of yet. It's gonna take quite a while to get that far out with 2.7 rescale.

9 hours ago, PatchedConic said:

My log file is linked below. Also below is what I see when I took a stroll around the launch pad if that helps.

Looking at your log I don't see anything amiss relating to textures but there's something else that might cause it. 

An item with the same key has already been added. Key: Bop

This might mean you have another config for Bop somewhere in your GameData folder and it's trying to load another one. This could be causing the problem, as Parallax is unable to load fully before encountering this

41 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

this looks like the grass is only being rendered by the near camera.

Ah this is troublesome. Looks like I will need a second set of draw calls for the second camera. I presume the scatters are rendering entirely in the frustum of the first camera, which has a low farClipPlane, and the second camera frustum has its near clip plane set to the far clip plane of the first...?

Edit: This should fix your problem: https://mega.nz/file/kd0iGZwA#_G2cNLu3HtwDAyZvnnK4LPFznsXVZTPOxD1joiiuCAw

Edited by Gameslinx

I've been working on reducing the memory usage and succeeded in getting a 30% reduction in Parallax's usage, and will be trying something else to get the usage down even further.

I've gotten some feedback on Kerbin's scatters, namely the grass, so I've swapped from using grass cards for the tall grass to using actual mesh geometry. I've also made the grass shorter, increased the frequency and reduced the range slightly to make for a better blend with the terrain. Here's what the new grass looks like:

unknown.png?width=1920&height=793

I am also looking at changing the leaves for the oak trees to look less two dimensional

8 minutes ago, MakerTribe said:

Scatter shadows seem to be rendering on top of everything. Also if I use any lights performance absolutely tanks,  but that may just be my old 970 showing it's age

Using lights causes a full re-render of anything the light touches. Sadly a limitation of KSP being 11 years old. 

I'll look into the shadows rendering on top of everything. That's really odd. Thanks for checking this out

I got it to do it again, if you look close you can see a slight faint outline of the flames (waterfall) but nothing there ...

Not sure of the cause myself, not a dealbreaker either, haven't seen it on kerbin or mun so far, just minmus.

Minmus Burn

Edited by RW-1

@PatchedConic @Geonovast @MakerTribe Hi guys, I've not managed to figure out exactly what's causing the shadows to render over the top of geometry, but if it is what I suspect then the fix will take more time.

In the mean time, I will be uploading a release today. I've added another entry in the ParallaxGlobal.cfg called 'castShadows'. By default it is set to true, however you all might be interested in turning this off to prevent shadows from being drawn at all. It will also significantly improve your FPS, as less shadow geometry requires rendering. Hopefully this is a good enough compromise while I work on something better. Thanks for testing :) 

Edited by Gameslinx

4 hours ago, MakerTribe said:

Linux / OpenGL with your latest Grass.dll. Scatter shadows seem to be rendering on top of everything. Also if I use any lights performance absolutely tanks,  but that may just be my old 970 showing it's age...?

noXCWq1.png

0CXOxbu.png

PIJz2RC.png

YHCSfWV.png

3DgdSKj.png

Is that a kerbal golf cart?! I need that craft file...

9 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

One question though. Is there anything underwater on Eve?

Nope!

I'm working on trying to fix the inconsistent colliders. It appears that they are generating for some quads but not others. All the data is received for each quad, but the issue seems to lie with querying the data structure that holds the positions of each object. I did plan on getting a release out today, but I'm going to fix this first

I absolutely love the new stunning visuals from Parallax 2.0, but I also don't like mods that change the lore of the game. So it's beautiful and cute that we have plants and floating bubbles on Eve, but I'm not into that. I do, however, love the Parallax terrain rendering. I couldn't find any pointy clicky way to disable the surface objects, is this possible?

Likewise, when I use EVE Redux, I turn off the city lights... but I'd like to turn off the clouds on Eve (the planet) because it is hard enough *with* sunlight.

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation

https://github.com/LGhassen/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

Edited by fommil

6 hours ago, fommil said:

I absolutely love the new stunning visuals from Parallax 2.0, but I also don't like mods that change the lore of the game. So it's beautiful and cute that we have plants and floating bubbles on Eve, but I'm not into that. I do, however, love the Parallax terrain rendering. I couldn't find any pointy clicky way to disable the surface objects, is this possible?

Likewise, when I use EVE Redux, I turn off the city lights... but I'd like to turn off the clouds on Eve (the planet) because it is hard enough *with* sunlight.

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation

https://github.com/LGhassen/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

Don't install the "_Scatters" folder.