[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

1 minute ago, Gameslinx said:

The range multiplier increases the radius of how far scatters render. So doubling it amounts to 4x as many scatters being rendered. If you wanted the same amount of objects to be rendered as 1x density, 1x range but with density set to 100x, you will need a range of 0.1x to balance it out.

Tl;dr, set your density to 100x and your range to 0.1x. I must warn you though, your memory usage will still be very high and could mean your performance is still bad as you run the risk of using up a lot of VRAM. Most people I've talked to don't go past 50x density

Ah, thank you! I'll have a play around with it and see if I can find a sweet spot with the reduced range.

25 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It should do. Parallax will warn you if you've not installed a part of it correctly

No

Can you send me your KSP.log file which is located in your Kerbal Space Program folder? Also, if possible, can you attach a screenshot of the files inside the Parallax_StockTextures folder in GameData? Cheers

Here is the stock textures file link https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1?ui=2&ik=9292a34e6d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r1325055290231960629&th=183439e8439c1a9b&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=f_l83q0l6d1

Here is the gamedata folder contents

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1?ui=2&ik=9292a34e6d&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r1325055290231960629&th=183439e8439c1a9b&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=f_l83q0l5v0

10 hours ago, Dinotrakker said:

Huh, didn't know that. My bad! Thanks for the clarification. Great mod.

Just to make sure, you mean copy the -EXPORTED config to the "Config" folder, and not as an addition to the ParallaxGlobal.cfg file, right?  

Following up on this.

After placing the edited Mun config file (minus the -EXPORTED suffix) to the Config folder, i've noticed that the scattered as acting... weird? They seem to form in strips instead of in their normal patterns (see below picture, note the red lines in the background and foreground marking the "strips"). Not sure what's causing this, as the only settings i've changed are Seed and SpawnChance. There's also a vague circle around the active craft, but i'm assuming that's just the load distance for those particular scatters. I can provide the config file in question on request.

unknown.png

19 minutes ago, Dinotrakker said:

Following up on this.

After placing the edited Mun config file (minus the -EXPORTED suffix) to the Config folder, i've noticed that the scattered as acting... weird? They seem to form in strips instead of in their normal patterns (see below picture, note the red lines in the background and foreground marking the "strips"). Not sure what's causing this, as the only settings i've changed are Seed and SpawnChance. There's also a vague circle around the active craft, but i'm assuming that's just the load distance for those particular scatters. I can provide the config file in question on request.

Ballisticfox tracked this down to be due to the frequency being set to 1 IIRC.

To add to the above, the config exporter does not export absolutely everything just yet. I didn't update it after making some config changes after all of the scatters had been completed for release. There are a few values missing. I will be writing a wiki and updating the exporter soon

30 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Ballisticfox tracked this down to be due to the frequency being set to 1 IIRC.

Gotcha, I'll mess with that and see what happens. Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

To add to the above, the config exporter does not export absolutely everything just yet. I didn't update it after making some config changes after all of the scatters had been completed for release. There are a few values missing. I will be writing a wiki and updating the exporter soon

Also noted. Thank you for the help.

On 9/15/2022 at 6:57 PM, AlphaMensae said:

Parallax v2 is not quite ready for JNSQ. True, the scatters work, but there's this flickering, and it got really bad here. Clip is from Raiz Space's current JNSQ+Parallax v2 install, timestamped.

Weird, they worked fine for me

1 hour ago, RichardD said:

Hi, how can I enable collisions with the surface features? 

Thanks.

You need to set enableCollisions = true   within the ParallaxGlobal.cfg. You can find it in the GameDate/Parallax/Config folder. It's set to false by default because it's an experimental feature. Also trees don't have collisions at the moment

@Gameslinx the 2.0.2 patch has fixed the missing scatter for me! Keep up the amazing work, this mod really is something special

Edited by ROCKETGOOSE
forgot to mention

39 minutes ago, RilonMusk said:

@GameslinxI have sent you the screenshots in a previous message that appears to be missed, I hope that helps. 

Apologies, I did miss them. I can't open your links, though. Can you upload them to a file sharing site such as Dropbox and send the link to them? It looks like you're linking to your local gmail/drive which I can't access

Scatters and textures are working fine but Kerbin and other planets are missing clouds and the other fancy atmosphere effects, I've installed everything correctly and I have the right files I'm really not sure what's going wrong here      

50 minutes ago, Lupey said:

Scatters and textures are working fine but Kerbin and other planets are missing clouds and the other fancy atmosphere effects, I've installed everything correctly and I have the right files I'm really not sure what's going wrong here      

Parallax does not add clouds or atmosphere effects. Those are handled by EVE and Scatterer, but usually brought together by a visual pack. Most people use Astronomer's Visual Pack for these effects 

20 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Parallax does not add clouds or atmosphere effects. Those are handled by EVE and Scatterer, but usually brought together by a visual pack. Most people use Astronomer's Visual Pack for these effects 

Oooooh, I see. This entire time it was actually working completely fine, I was just confused because of all those videos I saw that had those effects while using parallax. Thanks for the clarification lol :P

I've heard that tree collisions were taken out because of the issue of trees spawning in people's modded bases/runways.  For those of us that are only using the stock bases, is there a way to get the trees collisionable again?  I had a poke around in the .cfgs for the Kerbin trees but nothing I did had any effect :(

3 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

It would be nice to have a feature to exclude areas from scatter within a certain radius of a LON/LAT coordinate.   

Oh for those people, absolutely - I think I've seen some possible solutions floated earlier in the thread that would be cool.

Still, as someone who isn't using those bases, I just want a bit more peril in some of my off-piste landings, haha.  I'll continue to fiddle with it and see if I have any luck.

22 hours ago, ROCKETGOOSE said:

You need to set enableCollisions = true   within the ParallaxGlobal.cfg. You can find it in the GameDate/Parallax/Config folder. It's set to false by default because it's an experimental feature. Also trees don't have collisions at the moment

Thanks for the info, that's what i was asking myself: I have this amazing field of rock under my eyes, but the total absence of feeling of it is a bit disturbing.
That also bring more challenge when landing: i was forced to hover over them with my lander to not land on it and played with RCS to move laterally. That's a bit what Apollo XI had to do just before the touchdown.

Spoiler

screen21.png

screen22.png

Edited by ndiver
add 2nd screenshot

8 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

It would be nice to have a feature to exclude areas from scatter within a certain radius of a LON/LAT coordinate.   

This is inefficient and introduces a lot of distance checks to every lat/lon coordinate. This functionality already exists in the mod, and it can be achieved in two ways.

Method #1 is for Kerbal Konstruct bases to use a MapDecal with 'removeScatter' set to true. Nothing except grass/foliage will generate on it.

Method #2 is to use the blockMap.png, where colouring an area in white will have the same effect as above