[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

39 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

If it works on other planets and just fails on Minmus it's probably not Parallax related. I've heard it might be related to temporal anti aliasing (TAA) by either Scatterer or TUFX?

My suspicion is eve/scatterer.  I’ve seen this as well when using AVP and parallax at minmus.  those waterfall effects depend on the depth buffer being set up a certain way and scatterer has some kind of interaction there..and AVP adds clouds to minmus but not an atmosphere.

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:
19 hours ago, mister_goo said:

Deleting the `ScattererAtmosphereCache` directory fixed the glitch.

Is this all fixed now? Not happening still?

I ran the game again today, the glitch is not related to the scatterer mod, but the texture quality settings. Set the texture quality to "half" and restart to reproduce the glitch.

4 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

My suspicion is eve/scatterer.  I’ve seen this as well when using AVP and parallax at minmus.  those waterfall effects depend on the depth buffer being set up a certain way and scatterer has some kind of interaction there..and AVP adds clouds to minmus but not an atmosphere.

Actually this does seem to be some kind of bad interaction with parallax.  I took a renderdoc capture of burning the engine over minmus and kerbin.  The plume actually renders normally in both captures, but in the minmus one the distortion effect overwrites the core of the plume because the color buffer that it's reading from was copied too early; it doesn't include the more recent plume draw calls.  In the capture from kerbin, the screen buffer copy happens immediately before the distortion effects are run, so the temp buffer includes the plume.  The difference in the minmus capture is that there's a ton of parallax stuff in between when the copy happens and when the plumes are drawn, and it changes where the color buffer copy is made.

https://imgur.com/a/bDpO22w

How much you want to bet parallax and waterfall are using the same name for their GrabPass texture? https://forum.unity.com/threads/multiple-grabpass-problem.132546/

Edited by JonnyOThan

6 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

Actually this does seem to be some kind of bad interaction with parallax.  I took a renderdoc capture of burning the engine over minmus and kerbin.  The plume actually renders normally in both captures, but in the minmus one the distortion effect overwrites the core of the plume because the color buffer that it's reading from was copied too early; it doesn't include the more recent plume draw calls.  In the capture from kerbin, the screen buffer copy happens immediately before the distortion effects are run, so the temp buffer includes the plume.  The difference in the minmus capture is that there's a ton of parallax stuff in between when the copy happens and when the plumes are drawn, and it changes where the color buffer copy is made.

https://imgur.com/a/bDpO22w

How much you want to bet parallax and waterfall are using the same name for their GrabPass texture? https://forum.unity.com/threads/multiple-grabpass-problem.132546/

Does Parallax actually use grabPass? It doesn't seem to me like it needs to copy the screen for anything.

Edited by blackrack

7 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

How much you want to bet parallax and waterfall are using the same name for their GrabPass texture?

20 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

but he didn’t answer the question of the texture name.

My bad, the texture name in the shader is _BackgroundTexture.

40 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

My bad, the texture name in the shader is _BackgroundTexture.

So, yep, Unity is helpfully combining those into a single copy, doing it before all the waterfall plumes are rendered, so then the waterfall distortion pass is erasing the plumes.  Changing the texture name should fix it.

Alternatively....maybe we can do something to waterfall to make sure that it draws the plumes before the grabpass and then the two mods could share and improve performance.  You'd expect the minmus ice to refract engine plumes behind it after all!

Edited by JonnyOThan

6 hours ago, mister_goo said:

I also noticed some white spots on trees when anti-alias is on.

parallax_glitch_4_aa.png

Don't use the stock game's antialiasing.  Use antialiasing from scatterer or TUFX instead.  Temporal antialiasing does not suffer from this artifact, but use whatever looks good to you.

15 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

If it works on other planets and just fails on Minmus it's probably not Parallax related. I've heard it might be related to temporal anti aliasing (TAA) by either Scatterer or TUFX?

Must be scatterer then as I'm not running TUFX. Interesting. Thanks for the feedback

5 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

So, yep, Unity is helpfully combining those into a single copy, doing it before all the waterfall plumes are rendered, so then the waterfall distortion pass is erasing the plumes.  Changing the texture name should fix it.

Alternatively....maybe we can do something to waterfall to make sure that it draws the plumes before the grabpass and then the two mods could share and improve performance.  You'd expect the minmus ice to refract engine plumes behind it after all!

Glad to hear headway is being made on this, it is not a dealbreaker, but I wondered why only minmus (so far ...)

10 minutes ago, RW-1 said:

Glad to hear headway is being made on this, it is not a dealbreaker, but I wondered why only minmus (so far ...)

If it happens on Minmus it'll happen on Vall too. They are the only planets that use the ice shader which uses the background texture

1 hour ago, RW-1 said:

As a temporary fix, you should be able to disable the distortion effects in the waterfall settings: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/Waterfall/blob/78da340533d0e50b69ff2878d2028b1863f682c8/GameData/Waterfall/WaterfallSettings.cfg#L27

22 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I have just released a small update (2.0.4) which supports the use of cbNameLater in planet configs.

This means that RSS and KSRSS can have Parallax configs for Earth now

Hi, does this mean I can just install it and it will work in RSS/RO?

I am running RSS/RO and I tried to follow the install instructions completely, but I don't see any scatters anywhere. Do I need to do something extra?

Many thanks man, I would love to get this running in my game it looks so cool...

Edit: I just read that Ctrl-P opens the config. If I do that, I get the message: Error - Body Earth is not parallax configured

Edited by RealTimeShepherd

20 hours ago, Folkhoer said:

Hey @Gameslinx, for some reason this doesnt work. Am I missing something very obvious?

Interesting. I will investigate

4 hours ago, RealTimeShepherd said:

Hi, does this mean I can just install it and it will work in RSS/RO?

No, this is more for people who want to create their own configs

suggestion: a config setting where you can disable the larger rocks and just have the small rocks that dont have collisions, im having issues with incorrect collisions but dont want to just turn off collisions and drive through the rocks

instance of incorrect collisions: collisions being slightly off of the actual rock model or invisible rocks that dont load in but still have collisions, making navigation MUCH harder, i have turned the scatter density to 0.5 to reduce lag, do you think this is the issue?

Edited by bungling

3 minutes ago, RurouniDonut said:

How does one create their own config? I looked on the wiki but didn't see anything unfortunately. Thanks!

I'm still writing up the wiki. I got slightly delayed which is why it's not finished just yet. I'll have more information on there soon. For now, you can use the stock textures configs as a template along with the Ctrl + P GUI to mess about and see what does what in the meantime 

Hello,

I've decided to start playing KSP again and have finished updating all of my mods.  Unfortunately I am running across an oddity.  I have the most recent version of Kopernicus, and followed the installation instructions for the mod.  I suspect the KSC is not supposed to look like this though.

pUhhbyp.png

The map view looks fine, and at launch I see some of the trees etc, however theres no water.  Anyone have any insight as to what may be the issue?  Ive got EVE configs, EVE-Redux and Scatterer installed as well.  Im not sure if its parallax specifically and will be posting on each of those threads respectively, and possibly reddit in the hopes that someone has an idea.  I have a feeling it might be scatterer. Appreciate any help you may be able to give!

Edited by GrimT