[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm still writing up the wiki. I got slightly delayed which is why it's not finished just yet. I'll have more information on there soon. For now, you can use the stock textures configs as a template along with the Ctrl + P GUI to mess about and see what does what in the meantime 

For custom planetary systems such as RSS, would it be as simple as changing the body name to Earth for example and going from there?

1 hour ago, GrimT said:

Hello,

I've decided to start playing KSP again and have finished updating all of my mods.  Unfortunately I am running across an oddity.  I have the most recent version of Kopernicus, and followed the installation instructions for the mod.  I suspect the KSC is not supposed to look like this though.

pUhhbyp.png

The map view looks fine, and at launch I see some of the trees etc, however theres no water.  Anyone have any insight as to what may be the issue?  Ive got EVE configs, EVE-Redux and Scatterer installed as well.  Im not sure if its parallax specifically and will be posting on each of those threads respectively, and possibly reddit in the hopes that someone has an idea.  I have a feeling it might be scatterer. Appreciate any help you may be able to give!

parallax doesn't do anything in the KSC view, but it looks like your scatterer install is messed up.

29 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

parallax doesn't do anything in the KSC view, but it looks like your scatterer install is messed up.

That was definitely the issue.   Thank you. I deleted scatterer entirely and dropped the fresh install in and it resolved the issue.  I should really remember to do that for mods in the future.  Out of curiosity though, does the KSC look like this for anyone else? It seems a little saturated.  Additionally, I have this ghost plant on my launch pad, that I think is actually attributed to parallax.  Anyone else experience this? If so, what can I do to resolve it?

I also noticed some pretty severe framerate drops after launching, angling the camera toward KSC, and zooming closer to the craft.  The frames come back the further from the craft I am.  Its been a few years since Ive played so Im working through all of the kinks with a new modded game.

W4cNwd8.png

Edited by GrimT

1 hour ago, GrimT said:

That was definitely the issue.   Thank you. I deleted scatterer entirely and dropped the fresh install in and it resolved the issue.  I should really remember to do that for mods in the future.  Out of curiosity though, does the KSC look like this for anyone else? It seems a little saturated.  Additionally, I have this ghost plant on my launch pad, that I think is actually attributed to parallax.  Anyone else experience this? If so, what can I do to resolve it?

I also noticed some pretty severe framerate drops after launching, angling the camera toward KSC, and zooming closer to the craft.  The frames come back the further from the craft I am.  Its been a few years since Ive played so Im working through all of the kinks with a new modded game.

W4cNwd8.png

Are you playing on linux? I think this is a known issue, and the current workaround is just to disable shadows on scatters.

5 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Are you playing on linux? I think this is a known issue, and the current workaround is just to disable shadows on scatters.

Im playing on windows, is that a linux specific setting?  Im not seeing a specific setting for scatter shadows.

11 hours ago, GrimT said:

Im playing on windows, is that a linux specific setting?  Im not seeing a specific setting for scatter shadows.

Are you forcing OpenGL? I'll need your KSP.log file to investigate this further. This looks like it's running in OpenGL mode

Great job on the mod, looks fantastic!
I was wondering, is the surface terrain supposed to be 100% flat? 2 ''major'' versions back the terrain was rugged and uneven, crafts interacted with it, but now even with collisions enabled, you can only interact with surface scatters like the boulders and rocks (which look great), but not the terrain itself (its smooth and rover wheels/kerbals dont interact with any bumps).
Is this an issue on my end or a not yet implemented feature (if its going to come at all)?
Maybe I missed something in the changelogs..

11 minutes ago, themane said:

Great job on the mod, looks fantastic!
I was wondering, is the surface terrain supposed to be 100% flat? 2 ''major'' versions back the terrain was rugged and uneven, crafts interacted with it, but now even with collisions enabled, you can only interact with surface scatters like the boulders and rocks (which look great), but not the terrain itself (its smooth and rover wheels/kerbals dont interact with any bumps).
Is this an issue on my end or a not yet implemented feature (if its going to come at all)?
Maybe I missed something in the changelogs..

I'm assuming your terrain shader quality is set to Ultra?

In version 1.3 I reduced the scale of the textures on the surfaces because with Kerbals or small crafts, the quality was really low because the textures were larger scale. So, now they're tiled more frequently which also means smaller surface features. The scatters do that job now

48 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm assuming your terrain shader quality is set to Ultra?

In version 1.3 I reduced the scale of the textures on the surfaces because with Kerbals or small crafts, the quality was really low because the textures were larger scale. So, now they're tiled more frequently which also means smaller surface features. The scatters do that job now

I had the game on High, however I tried a new game with Ultra, still the same either issue or game feature.
The ground seems to act like in stock KSP, and on kerbin, the small surface texture rocks on the shore would collide trough my craft and I dont know if its supposed to do that or not (considering collisions are enabled)

unknown.png

The wheel collides trough the terrain rock, suspension doesn't react to it either.

7 minutes ago, SirLanceQuiteABit said:

Seems like a relatively straightforward fix.

It is a pretty straightforward fix. It requires;

1. The creation of a blockmap that covers every single KK base that you want to clear 
  2. To remove the grass scatter not covered by the creation of step 1 you need to edit  every KK site and elevate them by 2 -3 meters from current altitude
  3. To verify step 2 worked you need to visually inspect each site to make sure you haven't introduced new KK clipping issues
  4. If you pay attention to detail, the elevation in step 2 and editing from step 3 need to be reflected in all the additional navigation tools based on the original KK positions. 
  5. You need the available time to undertake all of the above,

Even if KK is fixed so that the remove scatter setting actually removes parallax scatter, steps 2 through 5 would still need to be done to clear the grass cover from the runways.  

17 minutes ago, themane said:

The wheel collides trough the terrain rock, suspension doesn't react to it either.

The collision setting only affects scatters. I removed them from the terrain itself because it was unreliable and buggy. Stock wheels are inconsistent and don't define the "wheel hub" point consistently, meaning the planes responsible for creating the fake wheel collisions would sometimes be outside the wheel

3 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

The collision setting only affects scatters. I removed them from the terrain itself because it was unreliable and buggy. Stock wheels are inconsistent and don't define the "wheel hub" point consistently, meaning the planes responsible for creating the fake wheel collisions would sometimes be outside the wheel

Ah, fair enough..
Though even with it being inconsistent and buggy on the older version, I (and most likely others) quite enjoyed the 3d terrain interaction and the 3d visuals (especially on Minimus)
Is it possible for a feature like such to come in the future? If not, would an option to enable the collisions at your own risk be possible? Thank you for all the answers.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:58 AM, Folkhoer said:

for some reason this doesnt work. Am I missing something very obvious?

And for anyone else wondering about Kerbal Konstructs mapDecals:

I found what was causing them to not remove scatters:

if (!data.allowScatter) { noiseMult = 0; }
if (hasBlockMap)
{
    noiseMult = 1 - this.blockMap.GetPixelFloat(data.u, data.v);  //White on the map = blocked, and nothing will spawn there
}

Adding the blockmap was overriding the scatter removal. This has now been fixed, and I will be uploading a release very shortly with the fix

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Are you forcing OpenGL? I'll need your KSP.log file to investigate this further. This looks like it's running in OpenGL mode

Not forcing opengl anywhere I could find.  I checked the steam launch options as well as the executables in the folder.  Where can I drop the ksp.log?

8 minutes ago, softweir said:

Upload it to any of several file-hosting sites such as Google drive or Dropbox, then post the link to the file here.

Thanks.  Been a minute since Ive used drive to share anything.  Dropbox is being finicky.

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Here is the log  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MKqk-3GE8xre9Hg4vIN4_h233X-Hh9jd/view?usp=sharing

On 9/26/2022 at 10:59 PM, GrimT said:

W4cNwd8.png

I had that happen, and it only ever happened with JNSQ whilst using KS3P in particular. Never saw it on JNSQ without the post processing mod, or in stock with Parallax. It's odd because you can see an odd 'shadow' on rockets most of the way up, but once you get past a certain point it just disappears.

3 hours ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

I had that happen, and it only ever happened with JNSQ whilst using KS3P in particular. Never saw it on JNSQ without the post processing mod, or in stock with Parallax. It's odd because you can see an odd 'shadow' on rockets most of the way up, but once you get past a certain point it just disappears.

Yeah Im experiencing that exact issue.  Im not using JNSQ but I do actually have KS3P and forgot about it.  Im assuming theres been an update since I last played and I dont recall updating it in this round... will give that a shot when I get home.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, GrimT said:

Yeah Im experiencing that exact issue.  Im not using JNSQ but I do actually have KS3P and forgot about it.  Im assuming theres been an update since I last played and I dont recall updating it in this round... will give that a shot when I get home.  Thanks!

This problem doesn't happen with TUFX, which is the successor to KS3P

3 hours ago, GrimT said:

Yes it's not present using TUFX.

HOWEVER, that said it also isn't present in stock (With Parallax) and KS3P, that's the setup I am using, rescaled stock with Outer Planets and Minor Planets.