[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

19 hours ago, Javascap said:

I have a feeling this question has probably been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the last 10 pages. Are there supposed to be no scatterers on Minmus? I have them everywhere else except there.

I’ve asked before and heard that they’re only in the highlands 

37 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

What graphics card does everyone suggest for this mod that is NOT RTX, since my computer would explode if it had RTX.

RTX is just a dseignation for ray tracing capability. Even if a game has ray tracing you don't have to enable it. Whatever you can afford should work fine as long as it isnt too low end. I wouldn't go lower then like a GTX1070 or any equivalent.

25 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

RTX is just a dseignation for ray tracing capability. Even if a game has ray tracing you don't have to enable it. Whatever you can afford should work fine as long as it isnt too low end. I wouldn't go lower then like a GTX1070 or any equivalent.

Okay, thanks man!

Is there something that can be downloaded or a workaround that lets Mac users enjoy this brilliant mod? I know it says in the OP that macOS isn't supported,  but I would really like to run this mod in my install. For reference I am using a 24-inch iMac with an Apple M1 chip running macOS Monterey. Thanks in advance.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:03 AM, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

Is there something that can be downloaded or a workaround that lets Mac users enjoy this brilliant mod? I know it says in the OP that macOS isn't supported,  but I would really like to run this mod in my install. For reference I am using a 24-inch iMac with an Apple M1 chip running macOS Monterey. Thanks in advance.

Same here its nice there is another mac user

I hope I'm not being too much of a stick in the mud (and posting this in an appropriate place) but I have some constructive criticism; While I'm generally happy with the cosmetic improvements to bodies such as Kerbin, the Mun and Duna (to name some standouts I've seen so far)... I am not particularly fond of  Eve or Laythe. Eve in particular, the ubiquitous bubbles and all of the ground foliage are, well... excessive. I'd love to see some way to configure these features so that they are far less numerous, perhaps restricted to a handful of biomes. It'd make them feel more special when discovered... but the biggest issue I have is simply a practical one; it's nearly impossible to find scannable surface features on Eve when they are buried by everything parallax adds. I'm left frequently opening up the F12 menu to toggle on/off the in-game locators so that I don't have to hunt so long just to complete contracts.

That said, I haven't explored everywhere with the mod on, but this has been a consistent theme of mixed emotions. The mod is definitely a visually stunning graphical overhaul that seems to function with minimal impact to performance. That alone is commendable but it feels like it goes overboard in some areas where it could use a little more subtly, or configuration. I hope this helps further development.

4 hours ago, elusiveuphoria said:

I am not particularly fond of  Eve or Laythe

There is a config in the OP which someone created to make Eve more realistic. You might prefer to use this instead. I believe it just goes in GameData.

Sadly there wasn't a way for me to balance what I add around the breaking ground objects, so I agree it can be difficult to find them when foliage or rocky areas get dense. 

4 hours ago, elusiveuphoria said:

but it feels like it goes overboard in some areas where it could use a little more subtly, or configuration

Part of this is just my vision for the mod and opinions will always vary from person to person. You can always dive into the ParallaxGlobal.cfg and reduce the density of everything, or open up the configs individually and change the parameters for each individual scatter. There's also a GUI opened with Ctrl + P if you want to configure stuff in-game

I hope this helps

Hopefully I am not repeating a previously asked question as i couldn't seem to find anywhere.

Currently running stock size KSP

Is there a way to change the physical appearance size of the  objects in game? e.g. the rock sizes, grass size, tree size. I note in the config menu it has the 'terrainTextureQualityMultiplier'  node but I presume this affects the texture resolution size and not the appearance. I only ask because the rockets look a bit tiny when they are sitting in the grass or next to a tree.

I'm returning to KSP after a break and this mod looks GREAT!!!! Thankyou for the work!

I'm getting an infinite loading screen - the planets in the bottom right corner are moving freely and nothing is happening!

I've tried the solutions you gave, and the game is still doing this. What should I do?

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16YTj2gZi7FeM6UoKlY2HtQ4tjbsgKTmG/view?usp=share_link

Mod List: https://imgur.com/gallery/dxyGEyO

@Gameslinx, I think i found bug in 1.12.4 (new patch), appears that scatters are missing on a few moons (which was not the case with 1.12.3):

KtAxUkE.png

Minmus at higher elevations, only some of what i think are stock scatters (not sure why those are even spawning with parallax) are left (no colliders and i distinctly remember lots of tiny bumpy ice things on the ground at this altitude).

30FHxOj.png

Ike is kaput, which is very disconcerting given that its my new favorite place post parallax 2.0 (the combination of rocky moon with those red crystals was just epic, looked alien enough but not overboard like Eve (which i do like but i ended up toning down the bubbles as the sheer amount of different things was just a tad overkill and the very large bubbles stood out a bit too much imo (wouldve been cool if they were poppable, but i think thats beyond the mod's capability :)).

YjXKH28.png

Bop, I have to admit i havent actually ever been here since installing parallax so i cant be certain if it ever had scatters, but there is a config file so i dont see why it shouldnt have anything.

b6lnu13.png

And finally Tylo, im pretty certain whats still left are leftovers from the stock scatter system.  Not sure if this entire problem is a Kopernicus or a Parallax issue, but it might be worth looking into (and i know its not another mod as i tested this with nothing else installed but scatterer+EVE+restock (none of those affect anything on planets themselves).

Btw, is there a reason that the stock scatters are even enabled alongside parallax scatters, are these hardcoded and not removable or is this some sort of bug with parallax not removing stock scatters while its own are enabled?

26 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Btw, is there a reason that the stock scatters are even enabled alongside parallax scatters, are these hardcoded and not removable or is this some sort of bug with parallax not removing stock scatters while its own are enabled?

You can disable stock scatters in the main menu settings screen.

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

I think i found bug in 1.12.4 (new patch), appears that scatters are missing on a few moons (which was not the case with 1.12.3):

Can you double check that you are on the latest Parallax version? I'll be investigating this over the weekend, but I know this was an issue in an earlier version which was a result of the PQS maxLevel on those planets being artificially too high. This was fixed, and you might only be seeing it now because the latest update (1.12.4) wiped the planets in Settings.cfg.

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

You can disable stock scatters in the main menu by unchecking 'enable scatters'

15 hours ago, jebalicious said:

Is there a way to change the physical appearance size of the  objects in game?

Only individually in each planet config. There are parameters for minScale and maxScale for each scatter. You can use the GUI (Ctrl + P) to do this in-game