[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

I have a weird issue when exiting a craft on kerbin.

Usually, Everything runs fine; It's just swell ramming my kerbals heads into mun rocks, But after landing on Kerbin, Once I exit my craft to explore whatever pine forest I just landed in, My fps drops from 70 to 10-12 and the grass/trees flash for a few seconds, I did some testing and it seems to drop fps only once I exit my craft. Otherwise its fine.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm trying to get Parallax to work right now but I'm running into issues with the grass textures. It seems that at certain angles they turn a blinding white and I can't seem to find any solution for it. Any ideas what could be causing this?

image.pngimage.png

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but I have spent at least an hour searching to no avail.

Parallax works great for me. I uninstalled it for a short time to compare the visuals with and without. When I reinstalled Parallax, my bases (set up without Parallax) loaded about 10-20m below the surface of the terrain and explode when I switch to them.  Is there a solution to this other than manually editing the .sfs file to change the altitude? I'm really hoping so since I have about 15 bases and rovers around. Thank you!

On 1/1/2023 at 7:13 AM, coyotepunk05 said:

I'm trying to get Parallax to work right now but I'm running into issues with the grass textures. It seems that at certain angles they turn a blinding white and I can't seem to find any solution for it. Any ideas what could be causing this?

image.pngimage.png

I'm still investigating this myself, but I have heard that using the Settings.cfg file I provided in the OP under the 'troubleshooting' section should help you here.

10 hours ago, talcottparsons said:

When I reinstalled Parallax, my bases (set up without Parallax) loaded about 10-20m below the surface of the terrain and explode when I switch to them.  Is there a solution to this other than manually editing the .sfs file to change the altitude? I'm really hoping so since I have about 15 bases and rovers around. Thank you!

Which planets/moons are they landed on? I believe Laythe, Duna and Vall may be affected

11 hours ago, talcottparsons said:

Thanks or getting back to me. It's Duna.

Find GameData/Parallax_StockTextures/_Configs/IncreaseSubdivisionCount.cfg.

Scroll down to

@Body[Duna]

Now delete the "VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2" and "VertexRidgedAltitudeCurve" nodes. This should be from line 85 to line 145. Save and restart the game

On 12/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, bQuest said:

Once I exit my craft to explore whatever pine forest I just landed in, My fps drops from 70 to 10-12 and the grass/trees flash for a few seconds

This happens when the scatter system needs to regenerate objects because the world origin changed. 

It shouldn't take longer than half a second on slow systems, so I'm curious as to why this has such an impact for you. When you reproduce this, does the grass flash multiple times? This might indicate the regeneration occurring more than once and could be the source of your lag. Let me know!

10 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

This happens when the scatter system needs to regenerate objects because the world origin changed. 

It shouldn't take longer than half a second on slow systems, so I'm curious as to why this has such an impact for you. When you reproduce this, does the grass flash multiple times? This might indicate the regeneration occurring more than once and could be the source of your lag. Let me know!

It seems be fixed now, It only flashes once and my fps stays acceptable. I believe it flashed twice last time? But I'm not sure, and that is from my goldfish memory.
Edit: Oh was I wrong, Update coming soon I need to figure out how to write this down.

Edited by bQuest

Confusing warning! I have no loveing clue what causes any of this, Please just read the TL;DR below and skip the details.
TL;DR Parts crashing or going EVA causes it to flash and lag, But pausing seems to reset and fix it, I have no clue why this happens.

The weird part: (Just for clarification, I did this twice and roughly the same thing happened both times minus extra lag on the first attempt from loading all the assets so its not a fluke.)
Shortly after my first message, I swapped from the Crater Crawler to the Dove since I hate driving and wanted to do another test. So I fired it up and went to a nearby pine forest, Roughly where the EVA incident happened, Upon arrival I EVA over the forest; The ground flashes and the lag returns just like last time. So after this I paused for a few seconds, After un-pausing, The lag was gone? I'm kind of taken aback by this and forget about the jet I just leapt out of. After it slams into Kerbin, The ground flashes again and the lag returns. Pausing fixes this as well.

I'm going to test this a third time after posting for good measure but I'm reasonably confident this is consistent

For the record, My specs are

AMD Radeon RX 5500 8GB VRAM

AMD Ryzen 5 3500 6-Core Processor Shader Model 6.0-ish? (The Adrenalin menu broke recently so I'm going off memory here.)

Hey,

My game tells me that your Grass.dll file is not compatible with the version of my game ... I don't get why.

Latest Steam version, verified files.

All settings at max (except light cascade whatever)

Also the rest of the mod doesn't seem to work ?

ksp.log : https://we.tl/t-yBPPZAK8kC (too large for Pastebin ...)

modlist : (I tried with only your mod too, no changes)

Spoiler

Squad
SquadExpansion
000_Harmony
000_TexturesUnlimited
AstronomersVisualPack
B9PartSwitch
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DynamicBatteryStorage
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
KAS
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
KIS
Kopernicus
KSPSecondaryMotion
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.4.2.2.dll
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
Parallax
Parallax_StockTextures
ParallaxLifelessEve
PlanetShine
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReStock
ReStockPlus
Scatterer
ScattererAtmosphereCache
Sigma
SmokeScreen
SpaceLink.dll
StockWaterfallEffects
TextureReplacer
TUFX
Waterfall
WaterfallRestock
WildBlueIndustries

R7 3700x, GTX 1060 6Gb

Thanks for your awesome work

21 hours ago, NielsGx said:

Hey,

My game tells me that your Grass.dll file is not compatible with the version of my game ... I don't get why.

Latest Steam version, verified files.

All settings at max (except light cascade whatever)

Also the rest of the mod doesn't seem to work ?

ksp.log : https://we.tl/t-yBPPZAK8kC (too large for Pastebin ...)

modlist : (I tried with only your mod too, no changes)

Reveal hidden contents

Squad
SquadExpansion
000_Harmony
000_TexturesUnlimited
AstronomersVisualPack
B9PartSwitch
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DynamicBatteryStorage
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
KAS
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
KIS
Kopernicus
KSPSecondaryMotion
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.4.2.2.dll
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
Parallax
Parallax_StockTextures
ParallaxLifelessEve
PlanetShine
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReStock
ReStockPlus
Scatterer
ScattererAtmosphereCache
Sigma
SmokeScreen
SpaceLink.dll
StockWaterfallEffects
TextureReplacer
TUFX
Waterfall
WaterfallRestock
WildBlueIndustries

R7 3700x, GTX 1060 6Gb

Thanks for your awesome work

So the error message is caused by Distant Object Enhancement (DOE) /L, removing it remove the error message.

Though, as I said above, I tried with only your mod (+ Kopernicus and ModuleManager obviously), and it still doesn't work..

Here's a log with just your mod : https://we.tl/t-c3838mAbQi

I was able to use your mod a while ago (pre 2.0) and I had 0 issues, on a large modlist, with same HW.

Any idea ? In any case, please add in your post that "Distant Object Enhancement (DOE) /L" is incompatible with Parallax (and Restock apparently)

EDIT : Ok, I don't know why, but ModularFlightIntegrator.dll was not there ... ? I reinstalled Kopernicus and now it works... FML

Edited by NielsGx
found issue

On another note,

It works well, really well, but I have a lot of stutters because my 6GB of VRAM are full

I use AVP 8K +43k clouds addon. I can see that AVP textures are basically just Skybox ... No need for 8k...

I'll try 4K and with/without cloud addon to see VRAM usage. If you have any idea how to reduce VRAM usage

Also looks like enabling in-game AA produce weird white dot on grass. Or at least happens when you disable then enable it while flying.

edit : Ok so don't use ModOrganizer2 with KSP ; I have random mods files/folders disappearing ... (their VFS is cool for Skyrim modding, but that's all)

How can your mod (+ Restock, Scatterer and EVE) uses 6GB VRAM ?? (deleted AVP entirely, I don't even have any EVE configs (BoulderCo) at all)

Running this mod on a "GT 960M" like you say, is just wrong. At least since 2.0 (and if you use ultra quality (why would you use anything else, this mod add tesselation, that's like the whole point?)

Edited by NielsGx
fml

@Gameslinx or other experts: Any advice for cleaning up landed bases after adding Parallax 2 to an existing save? For context, KSP 1.12.3, latest Parallax 2 from CKAN, KSRSS Reborn planet pack.

With colliders off it's mostly a cosmetic issue. Large rocks are drawing over parts of my base but I've had zero part explosions. I assume that if I turn colliders on things will explode, not be gently relocated.

Is there a UI option to toggle colliders on/off while playing without a restart? If yes, I'll try lifting my base a few meters with Hyperedit, toggle colliders on, let the base settle on top of the rocks.

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

Any advice for cleaning up landed bases after adding Parallax 2 to an existing save?

If you use Kerbal Konstructs you could deploy a MapDecal centered on your base location using the All Black heightmap and it will clear the large parallax scatter within the radius of the MapDecal. The lower scatter that is visible around the active vessel will not be cleared but it generally isn't a nuisance.  

I'm getting weird shadow or z-fighting issues, but neither city lights nor Scatterer are behind it. I already had all my city lights disabled since I prefer going without them, and reinstalling Scatterer and checking that "merge depth pre pass" was False as suggested in the OP didn't resolve it. In fact, even when Scatterer and EVE are uninstalled entirely I still see the issue. Also, it's not limited to bodies that could have city lights; when I checked my Minmus base I was still getting the artifacts.

Any idea what it might be?

And a separate issue, but it also seems to be causing a memory leak. When I try to go back from KSC to the main main my VRAM fills up until into overflows into system memory. It hit 45GB by the time I killed it, not including the 16GB VRAM, and even after killing the game with Ctrl-Alt-Esc (since Alt-F4 wasn't doing it) my system is reporting nearly 25GB of RAM use beyond what shows up in Top's list of processes. The artifacts happen with both 1.3.1 and 2.0.6, but the memory leak only happens post V2.

Edit: Just tested a fresh install, fresh save, and no mods except Parallax and its pre-reqs. Still getting flickering triangles.

Edited by anon641

55 minutes ago, Neebel said:

Heyo, quick question, is it still true that Parallax is better not to be used alongside Planetshine? Last time I asked was ~1.5 years ago so I just want to know if anything changed.

Yes, I got some bad low FPS with Planetshine and Parallax. Now using only Parallax with great performance improvement.