[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 1/7/2023 at 5:42 AM, bQuest said:

TL;DR Parts crashing or going EVA causes it to flash and lag, But pausing seems to reset and fix it, I have no clue why this happens.

Thanks for reporting. I am currently investigating this

On 1/9/2023 at 3:18 AM, NielsGx said:

It works well, really well, but I have a lot of stutters because my 6GB of VRAM are full

This is something I'm also looking into. The high VRAM usage has been something I have been trying to address for a long time, and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly why it is so high. This is the reason there hasn't been an update for a while - I'm trying to solve this!

On 1/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, DevCo said:

I am trying to enable Tessellation on Parallax in KSP 1.12.5 and I'm unable to set my Terrain Shader Quality to Ultra, when I set it and apply and accept the settings, it doesn't change. If I set it in the settings.cfg file Parallax says it is in Ultra and that Tessellation is enabled but when I load a save it is not enabled and the setting is back to High. Anyone ever run into this issue?

This is caused by a config in the GameData/Kopernicus/Config folder 'Kopernicus_Config.cfg'. Change the parameter "EnforcedShaderLevel" such that it equals 3 instead of 2.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:21 PM, pmborg said:

Hello and welcome! My suggestion it to do this: edit the default config file and enable the collisions I don't know why this is not the default...

Colliders are more CPU heavy, and people who have already established bases on planets will end up with not very well established bases if this was enabled by default. It will remain disabled

3 hours ago, ltajax said:

Any one else had an issue where the scattered trees will appear again when you are at a high altitude during launch ?

Yes - This is an issue I'm also working on. It's a bit more difficult to fix because it relies on a function in KSP's codebase that would be easy to call to fix a lot of the issues outlined in the last month or so, but unfortunately its implementation into the base game is poor and I have to come up with a feasable workaround.

That is the last of the catching up I needed to do - I have a lot of time taken up IRL by studying at the moment, so progress has been slow on these issues

On 1/22/2023 at 1:21 PM, pmborg said:

Hello and welcome! My suggestion it to do this: edit the default config file and enable the collisions I don't know why this is not the default...

Its the first thing that I do after install it...

e5KUYrJ.png

Hi! thanks for the reply, unfortunately I already have collisions enabled:

xyU6WjQ.png

I have noticed that this problem ocurs in other places, like Kerbin desert:

HQldl6T.jpeg

It looks normal in Mun, so idk what could be the problem:

dSit0hi.png

Editing this post to add some info:

This is what Mun looks like from orbit, is this normal or did I screw up something?

WGnZUuH.jpeg

Edited by Anthares
Adding info for my problem with the mod

Hi, I also have a problem with grass textures. My parallax used to work fine on my computer, but due to bugs with other mods, I reinstalled the game and the mod, and the grass textures became really weird. They appear black in backlight and reflect sunlight like aluminum foil when turned away from the sun. (translator translation, please forgive me for confusion)

0d2d4968dd5b0c2faf5a520e35f8d2d.png 39c288f0f8f0768e40bb59c0a190d7b.png

Below is the game log and configuration:

https://file.io/8SSxGr83hoEK

https://easyupload.io/rhh7xe

Edited by Xiaofeng Wei
Please post in English when not using the International subforums.

I'm having an issue with a kopernicus error on the main menu. I am using CKAN and have never modded KSP before. The only mods installed are parallax and its dependencies and I can't find a fix.

I verified all files through steam, installed the parallax mod on CKAN, applied changes and ran but still get the issue.

This is the log for Kopernicus:

//================================================================================================================================//
//=====  Kopernicus Stable BranchRelease-146 - (BuildDate: 03.02.2023 07:34:47; AssemblyHash: PMJafKkrRQfLHg7EF9E/LTepYes=)  =====//
//================================================================================================================================//
[LOG 21:51:33]: Logger "Kopernicus" was created
[LOG 21:51:33]: Injector.Awake(): Begin
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target name in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (System.String)
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target timeScale in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Double])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target scale in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Double])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target Epoch in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Double])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target useOnDemand in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target useOnDemandBiomes in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target onDemandLoadOnMissing in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target onDemandLogOnMissing in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target onDemandUnloadDelay in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Int32])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target useManualMemoryManagement in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target mainMenuBody in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (System.String)
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target maxViewingDistance in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Double])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target scaledSpaceFaderMult in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Double])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target force3DOrbits in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 21:51:33]: Parsing Target self in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader) as (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Kopernicus.ConfigParser.BuiltinTypeParsers.StringCollectionParser])
[LOG 21:51:33]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Loaded Body: Sun
[LOG 21:51:33]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Loaded Body: Moho
[LOG 21:51:33]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Loaded Body: Eve
[LOG 21:51:33]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Loaded Body: Gilly
[LOG 21:51:33]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Failed to load Body: Squad/Kerbin: 
[LOG 21:51:34]: [Kopernicus] RuntimeUtility Started
[LOG 21:51:34]: StarLightSwitcher.Awake(): Begin
[LOG 21:52:09]: Injector.OnDestroy(): Complete

I'm having performance issues with the mod. And the solution didn't work for me. I get around 60 to 180 fps on vanilla version of the game, and now I'm getting 10 to 50

Here is my pc specs

Intel Core i7 10700F

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080

Samsung DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB of RAM

ASRock B460M Steel Legend

17 hours ago, LostALife said:

I'm having an issue with a kopernicus error on the main menu. I am using CKAN and have never modded KSP before. The only mods installed are parallax and its dependencies and I can't find a fix.

I verified all files through steam, installed the parallax mod on CKAN, applied changes and ran but still get the issue.

Welcome to the forums.

Not much to go on in your description.  What's the error on the main menu?  Screenshot might help.  We probably need to see the ksp.log file.  If you don't know where to get it, read the topic linked in my sig block.   Another useful piece of info would be a screenshot of your GameData directory, just to eliminate some usual errors.

5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Welcome to the forums.

Not much to go on in your description.  What's the error on the main menu?  Screenshot might help.  We probably need to see the ksp.log file.  If you don't know where to get it, read the topic linked in my sig block.   Another useful piece of info would be a screenshot of your GameData directory, just to eliminate some usual errors.

Sorry, meant to add another comment here earlier today. I found a fix.

I deleted all mods in CKAN and verified files in steam, last time this didn't help, but this time, instead of installing Parallax I just installed Kopernicus standalone.

I loaded into the game and didn't get an error, installed parallax and all other mods and now it works. Not sure why, don't really care :D

Thanks for replying though!

When firing an engine near a planet's surface (I use waterfall with the stock configs) my FPS drops significantly. I've noticed that my FPS is also just in general not smooth at all when near the ground. Places like the Mun are fine, but destinations like Vall cause my FPS to tank. Furthermore, I've noticed that when waterfall RCS thrusters are on near a planet, the game goes down to about 5 FPS. I have a decently good computer, and have tried reinstalling this mod countless times, aswell as my other visual mods. Help would be much appreciated!

Are there any known issues with this working with pre-existing game saves? 

I can install and fire up a sandbox game with no real issues, but when I try to load up my old career save, the game crashes any time I try to enter the VAB, SPH, or Tracking Station. 

I've removed every mod except the required Parallax ones, and even tried deleting orbiting craft (There are no landed craft in the save).

I'm stumped. 

LOVE this mod!  Really brings the planets to life.  

FYI, probably inconsequential, but thought you'd like to know: getting warnings from module manager regarding the Lifeless Eve config:  

[WRN 00:18:26.425] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: ParallaxLifelessEve/_Scatters/Configs/Eve/!ParallaxScatters:HAS[#body[Eve]]:FOR[ParallaxLifelessEve]:AFTER[ParallaxStock]
[WRN 00:18:26.425] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: ParallaxLifelessEve/_Scatters/Configs/Eve/+ParallaxScatters:HAS[#body[Dres]]:FOR[ParallaxLifelessEve]:AFTER[ParallaxStock]

Seems to work fine, at least on Kerbin, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Keep it up!  Looks amazing!

Edited by wreckreation

Thanks for looking into high VRAM usage issue.

There's a lot of stutter for me when flying fast at low altitude and more trees etc get loaded and rendered. But doesn't happen as much on planets that just have parallax and a few rocks there and there.

Feels like every tree being loaded is actually reloading the entire texture and model into ram to vram, instead of reusing the data already there, idk tbh

2 hours ago, Borksnorkel Jr said:

I do not know where to change terrain quality to high or ultra if anyone can tell me please do. It is either my computer is not good enough or it just commonly takes forever to load is another problem.

Have you checked the info in the OP?  There's a reference to a config file in one of the mod's folders there.  There's also some info on system requirements.

Edited by Brigadier
Syntax

On 2/4/2023 at 7:44 PM, Eleven said:

Are there any known issues with this working with pre-existing game saves? 

I can install and fire up a sandbox game with no real issues, but when I try to load up my old career save, the game crashes any time I try to enter the VAB, SPH, or Tracking Station. 

I've removed every mod except the required Parallax ones, and even tried deleting orbiting craft (There are no landed craft in the save).

I'm stumped. 

Still hoping to get an answer on this one, and now that I've gotten Parallax installed and running on Sandbox, I noticed that the scatters are semi-transparent. Is there a setting for that? I'm running an Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti 8gb (Laptop)

EDIT - Apologies, my trasnparent scatters were not in fact an issue of Parallax or Kopernicus, it appears they were caused by TUFX.  Now to track down that issue.  (Still hoping for an answer as to why Parallax can't function in an existing save!

Edited by Eleven
Found the real cause to THIS issue. It's not Parallax!

Using this mod and waterfall causes my game to lag like hell. Whenever a waterfall effect is active near a planet's surface, FPS tanks. I have tried everything, and I don't know what to do. I love both mods so I don't know which to get rid of. If there is a waterfall effect or parralax effect to disable then tell me which one. HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED GREATLY!

Edited by Bulltoad

RSS: people has been reported parallax 2 jan update's backward compatibility works with rss parallax 1 cfg

KSRSS: please look through the ksrss thread, someone mentioned how to make it work

edit: embed the ksrss instruction below

firefox-2023-04-29-8464.jpg

98WFWNY.jpeg

Edited by ssd21345

On 2/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, Bulltoad said:

Using this mod and waterfall causes my game to lag like hell. Whenever a waterfall effect is active near a planet's surface, FPS tanks. I have tried everything, and I don't know what to do. I love both mods so I don't know which to get rid of. If there is a waterfall effect or parralax effect to disable then tell me which one. HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED GREATLY!

As was said in the description of the mod, the game might lag with a lot of lights because of KSP using a suboptimal rendering path. By default waterfall will create a light on each of your engines, which, I assume might be the issue. You can try disabling engine lights in the waterfall config.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:54 PM, Anthares said:

Hi! thanks for the reply, unfortunately I already have collisions enabled:

xyU6WjQ.png

I have noticed that this problem ocurs in other places, like Kerbin desert:

HQldl6T.jpeg

It looks normal in Mun, so idk what could be the problem:

dSit0hi.png

Editing this post to add some info:

This is what Mun looks like from orbit, is this normal or did I screw up something?

WGnZUuH.jpeg

On 1/19/2023 at 11:58 PM, Anthares said:

Hi, this is an incredible mod, but I think I discovered a bug, when you land on the south pole of Kerbin, the ground is not at the correct level, see picture below:

QvTjnFt.jpeg

YU19j4Q.jpeg

This is the first time I've posted on these forums after so many years of playing this game, English is not my first language so I'm sorry if there are any grammar mistakes.

Hi guys,

I found a weird bug that is happening in my current career save, whenever I try to launch something from the SPH there are a lot of shadows from what looks like invisible trees, however that's not the case when I launch the exact same rover in my sandbox save:

ICJB3tR.jpg

Could something be broken that only affects one save? I haven't checked because I don't have time, but could this be related to my other problem with the terrain hitbox being too high in some areas? (see quoted posts)

53 minutes ago, Anthares said:

Hi guys,

I found a weird bug that is happening in my current career save, whenever I try to launch something from the SPH there are a lot of shadows from what looks like invisible trees, however that's not the case when I launch the exact same rover in my sandbox save:

ICJB3tR.jpg

Could something be broken that only affects one save? I haven't checked because I don't have time, but could this be related to my other problem with the terrain hitbox being too high in some areas? (see quoted posts)

I think using certain settings in TUFX will trigger this, which would also explain why it's different in each save file because the TUFX profile selection is per-save.