[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

On 2/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, david9000 said:

Problem with Beyond Home

For some reason, the Parallax ground is displaced downwards a bit, making anything I put on the surface of a planet seem like they're floating.

And as the cherry on top, my kerbals die and pop out of existence whenever I walk around using EVA.  (GAME-BREAKING BUG)

Any solutions?

Having the same kind of issue. Kopernicus and Parallax seem to be up to date.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:30 PM, dylsh said:

Does this mod interfere with the stock Easter Eggs?

The only one I've found it interferes with is the one on Val, which is several meters below ground. Hoping @Gameslinx fixes that one eventually.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:44 PM, NielsGx said:

I thought this mod was causing me massive stutter at high speed and low altitude, because of my GTX 1060 6GB VRAM being close to full.

The issue was caused by TUFX Ambiant Occlusion. (preset from Astronomer's Visual Pack (also, disable their chromatic abberation, who use this crap in 2023, makes everything blurry)

The more zoomed in on my spacecraft, the worse my fps get. When really close, I have like 5fps and stutter ... But at +50m away from spacecraft, I have 45-60fps.

I would advise anyone to stop using AO from TUFX for everyone without a RTX 4080 ^^

The AO isn't even that precise and good tbh. I would probably try MXAO from qUINT in ReShade, as it's way more precise and not that heavy in term of perf.

Now I can finally enjoy Parallax + Scatterer + eve redux at good speed.

The problem is that Reshade adds FX to everything, including UI. Just disable the ambient occlusion and HDR if it gives problem. The rest of settings works fine for me.

On 2/26/2023 at 7:21 PM, Kofi said:

Hi everyone, tried installing Parralax with no other mods, no error messages but seems like I'm stuck on stock KSP.

No errors that I can see in game or in KSP.log, happy to share any needed details.

KSP v1.12.5
Kopernicus 156
Parralax 2.0.6
Parralax StockTextures 2.0.0
Parralax ScatterTextures 2.0.1

Were you able to fix this?

I have exactly the same issue.

Fresh install of KSP 1.  Installed only these mods, using the instructions in the readme.

Set the terrain detail to High. and the terrain shader quality to Ultra.  Nothing happens - KSP still looks like stock.  :unsure:

Edited by FatboyTim

18 hours ago, FatboyTim said:

Installed only these mods, using the instructions in the readme.

If you installed only these mods, you might be missing the all-important ModuleManager perhaps?

Parallax Scatter configs need MM to patch into Kopernicus.

Edit: from the installation video in the OP, it looks like Kopernicus is expected to bundle MM?

Edited by HansAcker

On 2/27/2023 at 4:18 AM, NaviG said:

Hey, i'm using a fresh installation on KSP 1.12.5 with Parallax and all the dependencies. When my vessel hits the ground, the grass and the trees flash (or flicker, idk). Maybe it's related to the game options? Or maybe kopernicus? I have no clue.

Its a little annoying and it makes a huge lag when it happens.

Hello.
Doubling this, as it seem to pass unnoticed.

(also not new to the forum, just lost access to the old account)

39 minutes ago, ShadowDr said:

Hello.
Doubling this, as it seem to pass unnoticed.

(also not new to the forum, just lost access to the old account)

Cheers. I might be able to work on some of the bugs reported in the last ~10 pages of this forum some time this week and next, deadlines depending :) 

Busy times at university right now!

16 hours ago, FatboyTim said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've now downloaded ModuleManager, as well as Kopernicus but I'm still apparently in stock.

Perhaps I'm still missing something obvious?

KSP1.gif  KSP2.gif  KSP3.gif

Have you put a vessel on the runway? parallax is not obvious from the main view. Trees for example dont show up. You need to go flight to get the whole experience.

Edited by Agustin

6 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Cheers. I might be able to work on some of the bugs reported in the last ~10 pages of this forum some time this week and next, deadlines depending :) 

Busy times at university right now!

Yey! thanks and good luck there.
I'll then clarify what's happening in more detail: when something hits the ground and 'splodes, it causes all the scatters to instantly disappear and render in again. So when a multi-part thing lithobrakes, this happens once for every single part as it 'splodes, creating that "flickering" effect.
Ground texture seems to be not affected, only scatters.

I am not sure if already been mentioned but can we have a patch like the "ParallaxLifelessEve" but for Laythe? would be epic if we could.
Do not want think about if life can exist in another place and go off thinking about being first born in relation to the fermi paradox while playing ksp really.

Edited by Vphurple Izumi

1 hour ago, Vphurple Izumi said:

I am not sure if already been mentioned but can we have a patch like the "ParallaxLifelessEve" but for Laythe? would be epic if we could.
Do not want think about if life can exist in another place and go off thinking about being first born in relation to the fermi paradox while playing ksp really.

Check the OP, there's one linked there 

2 hours ago, Vphurple Izumi said:

Speaking only for myself, for gameplay reasons, I prefer Eve having only simple life forms high in the atmosphere (lifeless surface, high altitude exploration) and Laythe having only aquatic life (underwater exploration).

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Check the OP, there's one linked there 

I checked again while there is one for EVE i do not see one for Laythe, just this
fCumMfp.png
If it turns out i am just blind and missed it again on my reread may i kindly ask for you to link it for me again?

3 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Speaking only for myself, for gameplay reasons, I prefer Eve having only simple life forms high in the atmosphere (lifeless surface, high altitude exploration) and Laythe having only aquatic life (underwater exploration).

Fair enough gameplay wise giving us reasons to do more exploring is allways good and that sounda fun, but having the face that abiogenesis took place not one, not twice, but three times in the Kerbal system just feels wrong to me for some reason, and yes i will be the first one to say thats all subjective but if we already have one no life config file for EVE i sure do hope it will not be too much to ask for one of Laythe too.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:44 PM, Eleven said:

Are there any known issues with this working with pre-existing game saves? 

I can install and fire up a sandbox game with no real issues, but when I try to load up my old career save, the game crashes any time I try to enter the VAB, SPH, or Tracking Station. 

I've removed every mod except the required Parallax ones, and even tried deleting orbiting craft (There are no landed craft in the save).

I'm stumped. 

Still hoping to get an answer here. Brand new saves with Parallax work great, but existing saves crash. Here is the log file if that helps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L5R-Mt4J5D91sjaA2TbwqRzxxbEz_bXw/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Eleven
Typos

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Still hoping to get an answer here. Brand new saves with Parallax work great, but existing saves crash. Here is the log file if that helps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L5R-Mt4J5D91sjaA2TbwqRzxxbEz_bXw/view?usp=sharing

Parallax does not affect saves.

Your save crash looks to be caused by Contract Configurator

13 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Parallax does not affect saves.

Your save crash looks to be caused by Contract Configurator

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately when I removed contract configurator (and the contract packs folder) the game still crashes. But if I remove Parallax (and the stock textures folder) the saves load just fine. I previously removed EVERY mod except Parallax and the game still crashed when switching scenes. The only time it does not crash in that scenario, is on a brand new save, at day 1. In that scenario I can have as many mods installed as I want and it's no prob. Could it be something in the persistent file of existing saves?  I'm a total noob at reading the log files, but here's the new file with contract configurator removed and the game still crashing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Af7chnp952wT6hxL4lmS1jx-6mGUAK07/view?usp=sharing

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately when I removed contract configurator (and the contract packs folder) the game still crashes. But if I remove Parallax (and the stock textures folder) the saves load just fine. I previously removed EVERY mod except Parallax and the game still crashed when switching scenes. The only time it does not crash in that scenario, is on a brand new save, at day 1. In that scenario I can have as many mods installed as I want and it's no prob. Could it be something in the persistent file of existing saves?  I'm a total noob at reading the log files, but here's the new file with contract configurator removed and the game still crashing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Af7chnp952wT6hxL4lmS1jx-6mGUAK07/view?usp=sharing

Can you also send Playerprev.log and Player.log? They are located here:

C:/Users/UserName/AppData/LocalLow/Squad/Kerbal Space Program

10 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Can you also send Playerprev.log and Player.log? They are located here:

C:/Users/UserName/AppData/LocalLow/Squad/Kerbal Space Program

I always forget to mention. I play on Linux. 

Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GerZhLWMLGrERq5_nrP2kaLYUk7Zbr4v/view?usp=sharing

Player-prev.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6aErDwNonVKnV_A73lFSy6fkJbVakj6/view?usp=sharing

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh man. Looking at both of these I still can't see why the game crashed. Normally there's a line 'Crash!!!', but in this case the log just ends.

Can you see if there's a crash report in that same location I mentioned? If there is one, send it my way. If there isn't - I have no idea what's causing your crash - certainly not memory / VRAM related that's for sure

6 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Oh man. Looking at both of these I still can't see why the game crashed. Normally there's a line 'Crash!!!', but in this case the log just ends.

Can you see if there's a crash report in that same location I mentioned? If there is one, send it my way. If there isn't - I have no idea what's causing your crash - certainly not memory / VRAM related that's for sure

Totally appreciate you taking the time to help on this!

No additional logs there.

btw in Linux those logs are located at: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program

What's weird is that if I install everything from scratch, and start a brand new career with Parallax, there's no issues, same with a sandbox game. I only have the crashes when I try and load a pre-existing save, that worked fine before adding Parallax and continues to work after removing Parallax

Worse case scenario, I'll just start a new save and cheat-menu/timewarp/manually place all my relays and science probes back to a reasonable facsimile of the saves that no longer load. It takes nothing but time!

On 2/27/2023 at 11:05 PM, BIOZ said:

Hi, @jd284. I can post my WIP, but I'm using KSRSS configs and I don't want to redistribute their code. I can share my own code, but you have to download some KSRSS configs from GitLab (configs only, no models nor textures). If you ok, I'll write the exact instructions for installation.

Hi, I'm not the original requester. So if I understand correctly you are adapting KSRSS cfgs to work with RSS? In that case I would like to try! I'm looking for RSS configs but can't find any. Please be so kind and share the instructions even if not perfect/buggy I would love to test them.