[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Hey @Gameslinx

Mod's still awesome!

I'm unfortunately having some physics-related issues when using the parallax colliders, specifically affecting rovers. It took a bit of pinning down because the issue doesn't manifest until a save is loaded, so I can only assume it affects the way craft are saved when on a surface with parallax colliders. 

I pulled all sorts of mods out of my gamedata to try to pin it down but parallax was the one causing it. Pictures are worth a thousand words so here you go:

Spoiler

CKXFPTd.png

ajbP0LI.png

7Mtn1do.png

CYnxPHz.png

JhVi5oi.png

The theme here is twisted / bent attachment nodes or messed up collisions between parts, or both. It's almost like the craft is mid-destruction when saved and when it loads it just... finishes that destruction. 

It's entirely possible that this is specific to USI rover wheels and removing parallax just removed the conflict, but looking at the Akita rover wheels (that's the first two screenshots) I don't see any unusual modules in the configs:

Spoiler

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelBase

wheelColliderTransformName = WheelCollider		
		wheelTransformName = WheelPivot

// setting this to true will override the radius and center parameters
		FitWheelColliderToMesh = False		
		radius = 0.275
		center = 0,0,0
		mass = 0.040
		groundHeightOffset = 0

TooltipTitle = Rover Wheel
		TooltipPrimaryField = Motorized
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelSuspension
		baseModuleIndex = 0
		suspensionTransformName = SuspensionPivot

suspensionDistance = 0.1
		targetPosition = 0.01			
		springRatio = 7
		damperRatio = 1.0
	}	
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelSteering
		baseModuleIndex = 0	
		caliperTransformName = SteeringPivot		
		steeringResponse = 2
		steeringCurve
		{
			key = 0 20  //0 20
			key = 10 10   //10 5
			key = 15 1.5  //30 1.5
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelMotor
		baseModuleIndex = 0

wheelSpeedMax = 20
		driveResponse = 10

torqueCurve
		{
			key = 0 1.5 0 0
			key = 0.5 1.0 0 0
			key = 5 0.25 0 0
			key = 10 0 0 0
		}
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 3.5
		}		
		idleDrain = 0.0
	}	
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWheelBrakes
		baseModuleIndex = 0

maxBrakeTorque = 3
	    brakeResponse = 2
	}		

Reproducing it isn't 100% reliable, but landing a rover on the Mun and then using Bon Voyage to travel it around a little seems to do the trick. Sometimes just quicksaving and then quickloading (no interference from bon voyage) will cause the effects. 

I will state that I've used these rovers extensively in previous career games (100+ hours) without this issue occurring, but I do vaguely remember this being an issue in stock game a couple of years back. It's almost like the saving feature is using the terrain collisions to affect all the parts and then saving it, instead of just saving it as it is. Odd!

EDIT: Actually it could be a conflict with the way bon voyage resettles craft as well. Didn't think of that til just now.

Double EDIT: It does look more likely that it's bon voyage itself causing this problem. 

Edited by Kielm

I'm having trouble installing this. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions.

KSP Version: 1.10.1

Kopernicus R-T-B Unified "Bleeding Edge" Edition Release 63    : Using KopernicusBE_1.10.1_Release63.zip

Parallax: https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases/tag/1.1.1  (Version 1.1.1)

I'm also using Parallax.-.Stock.Textures.1.1.1.zip

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Pls Halp

Can someone tell me if this is an effect from parallax? It happened when I installed it but it could also be a side effect of another visual mod?

Edit: It seems EVE caused this. Switching to EVE-Redux seems to have solved it in this case.

It feels like playing a different game and finding anomalies is really difficult now as I was used to look for little shadows.

At some point close to Minmus the beautiful Parallax texture blend in but it is a pretty rough transition from greenish to greyish.

To some degree this happens also when you move closer although the shift in color is not as noticeable but features of the planet seem to jump around when more details appear.

I run on 1.11 with the following visual mods: EVE, Scatterer, DistantObjects, Planetshine, RealPlume, Spectra

FO9sjxS.png

Edited by Alioth81

@Gameslinx

Still having the issue with rovers and I noticed an awful lot of nullref spam related to rover wheels in the ksp log (it's 40Mb unzipped). 

There are quite a few parallax related errors in there, thought you might want to have a look. Appreciate it's early days for parallax collisions so this is to be expected!

Currently chasing up tweakscale and parallax as a possible cause. Parallax is throwing a metric ton of rover wheel errors but it also occurs without parallax (just less quickly), so I'm not sure what to do with that. 

On 1/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, kubi said:

Yes (with KSP.x86_64, not tested with other methods), thanks! :)

Jeb is standing on a bump!

It hasn't worked for me sadly i have installed that loader and the missing textures are still white , could it be a conflict with other mods, my mod list is: Better burn  time, EVE and boulderCo config, distant object enhancement, kerbal engineer, kopernicus BE 1.110, modular flight integrator, parallax, stock configs, restock 

here is the log https://www.dropbox.com/s/v37rtzmdisvtv2i/KSP.log?dl=0.  

In the log near the middle it keeps repeting this error 

[LOG 11:46:19.728] [Parallax] Subdivision Error (Adaptive Parallax):
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PQSModExpansion.PQSMod_Subdivide.OnQuadBuilt (PQ quad) [0x00128] in <1e4b0b479a7047968c8473ff5d272763>:0

and at the end it says textures dont exist

- Texture doesn't exist, skipping: _SurfaceTextureMid with filepath: Parallax_StockTextures/Kerbin/PluginData/mid00.dds
Edited by ImperfectMrDogeIV

22 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

That's the problem. Looks like you're using stock texture with BH.

If it's not that then make sure your Parallax is on the right version.

Both don't worked Parallax v1.1.1 & Parallax v1.2.0 still white terrain

On 1/17/2021 at 11:14 PM, eberkain said:

Only the regular wheels, landing legs, kerbals and deployable science parts have terrain collisions.  

I can't seem to place any deployable science parts though. They go under the Parallax terrain, and can't be deployed. Does anyone know, is there a way to place them on the new terrain somehow?

Nevermind, I just had to find a flatter bit of terrain.

Edited by Vano47

This may be slightly off topic, but would you mind telling me what programs you recomend for creating the various textures and maps Parralax uses? I'm thinking about making a small planet pack that would use Paralax and would like to know what programs I would need to learn to use.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, Kielm said:

Double EDIT: It does look more likely that it's bon voyage itself causing this problem. 

I have noticed this on a Lynx rover without using Bon Voyage at all, so at most this is likely exacerbated by BV, not caused. It's much less extreme in my case, but definitely there across about half a dozen loads to travel further, and slowly growing.

Spoiler

NPF4fWq.png

Additionally, when launching this resupply pod back to Kerbin, I had an odd issue where around 20-25 km away it would suddenly crash into ParallaxColliders, resulting in complete destruction, as well as teleporting the rover nearby and *also* colliding that with ParallaxColliders. I was able to resolve the situation by driving the rover away first, but there is definitely something odd when a grounded vessel gets unloaded from an ascending flight.

Spoiler

ZWQbYQ1.png

Edited by Iskierka

So, instead of the ground, all of kerbin has turned white instead of any other color. Can anybody tell me what is wrong?

Edit: never mind. Now It just looks like regular stock textures. pretty sure I am doing something wrong.

Edited by Fletch4

Coming into a JNSQ system near you soon™ 

With permission from the frog god himself.

Parralax JNSQ settings  (still in testing phase), pre release here for anybody interested I will be posting updates over there.

SkinnyFluffyBluebottle-size_restricted.gif

Edited by SirBlob
Update

9 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

This is a fantastic mod. Reminds me of the KSP2 trailer.

I have a question for you, @Gameslinx. I want to introduce these PBRs to modded planets-- namely the OPM planets. Is this possible? I've created some planar PBR textures in Substance Alchemist, and I want to know how to get started!  

Definetly possible if you look into my post above, I got Parallax 1.2 to work on every JNSQ planet. Haven´t looked into custom textures yet as I am not familiar with texture creation, but custom textures should be possible.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:20 AM, SirBlob said:

Definetly possible if you look into my post above, I got Parallax 1.2 to work on every JNSQ planet. Haven´t looked into custom textures yet as I am not familiar with texture creation, but custom textures should be possible.

How did you do it?